Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa-Rivas-2099 View Post
    Also, I don't really think in terms of threat-level = good.
    To an extent I agree. I mean, like I said, I thought the Tweeds were great in that World's Finest mini. But given the era comics are currently in, it really doesn't help Cobblepot's street cred any more or less just being Batman's stoolie for the past however many years. I honestly don't think it's the worst idea in the world to treat the character with a little more respect than that.

Two-face is more a tragedy than a threat.
    Not sure I agree with this one. While I don't think he's necessarily a threat to Batman, per se, there's a rage in his eyes that I think certainly makes him a threat to the citizens of Gotham, which I think makes him particularly dangerous despite not having the body count of someone like The Joker or the power of someone like Ra's Al Ghul.

Look how far Harley and the Ventriloquist got without being near the top menacing. Catwoman isn't even a villain anymore. How about Thorne in BTAS, he wasn't particularly menacing, the problem is that he is the source of crime and Batman couldn't take him down.
    As far as Harley and Catwoman are concerned, they've both been playing both sides of the fence for nearly as long as they've existed. With The Ventriloquist, to me anyway, you could always tell just how cunning he really was despite his appearance and neurosis. Unfortunately, I never really got that vibe off of Cobblepot. As for Thorne, well, I never really considered him a major player. Even when he appeared in 'Tec back in the '70s, he always just seemed like a character that existed solely to get the plot moving.

Quote Originally Posted by edge007 View Post
    With The Ventriloquist, to me anyway, you could always tell just how cunning he really was despite his appearance and neurosis. Unfortunately, I never really got that vibe off of Cobblepot. As for Thorne, well, I never really considered him a major player. Even when he appeared in 'Tec back in the '70s, he always just seemed like a character that existed solely to get the plot moving.
    Actually, the Scarface and the Penguin have the same temperament, the differences are that:
    *Scarface might loose temper, but keeps his eyes on the ball, the Penguin looses scope as he boils.
    *The Penguin cracks more jokes and laughs at them. Scarface is wittier but doesn't really laughs as he ridiculizes people. Both hate to be mocked, but become tolerant when it comes from someone they peroceive as their equal (Joker, Two-face, Croc, etc.).
    They are both very smart, but Scarfce is more of a field genius while the Penguin is a grand schemer.

Thorne and Falcone are just there as obstacles, however one in BTAS the other in early postcrisis are actually the main target of Batman, very difficult to take down and very powerful; however, they are not grand schemers. The Penguin replaced them, and lost his grand schemes in the process.
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

Quote Originally Posted by wu-tang warrior View Post
    I can understand why you it's kind of a by the numbers approach. And I think Layman is gradually coming into his own. He's got his first issues out the way and about to finish his first arc, he made it through the DoTF and Requiem tie ins, and he's a good writer so it's coming. Plus, imo, after a year long epic of CoO, almost a half year long DoTF with all the crossovers, the epicness of Inc, to me, a by the numbers crime fighting detective Batman is a breath of fresh air. Layman's not giving the huge epic life changing stories, but I think he is giving just some good back to basics Batman stories.
    I see it as a breath of fresh air as well when put against the backdrop of all the "epics" surrounding it and I love those "back to basics" kind of Batman stories as well as the fact that Layman is doing smaller arcs that are all interconnected. It's just that I feel like something is missing here. Other detective stories I read manage to have some tension and there are times that you feel that the protagonist is in danger or threatened by what is happening in the story. I've not felt that way while reading this a good deal of the time, which again frustrates the heck outta me. I'm sure all that will come with time though.

Quote Originally Posted by weeks View Post
    i think the back-ups have been layman's strong point so far, and that andy clarke art surely helps that.
    I quite agree on both counts. I'm really enjoying the backups in 'Tec myself more so than the main story, which is just another thing I find to be very frustrating about the title. The backups are great but I'm not feeling the same magic with the main story.

Quote Originally Posted by Volkditty View Post
    Hopefully with Batman going into the year-long flashback story arc, it'll give 'Tec and the other Batbooks room to breathe.
    I really hoping that's the case as well.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 04-27-2013 at 09:01 AM.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.