Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Pipeline - Apr 23, 2013

Augie looks back on the first issue of Chris Claremont's "X-Men Forever!" Plus, how can we make comics "special" again, where is Frank Miller's "300" sequel and more!

Full article here.

Initially I was really excited by X-Men Forever. But $4 an issue, twice a month forced me to wait for the trades. Though I liked it at the beginning, the art really falls apart as the series goes on. To the point where I couldn't enjoy the book anymore. And the series turned into an "alternate reality so none of this actually counts" story.

There were fun parts, but maybe my hopes were too high for this series.

X-Men Forever was a book I was super excited about because it was 90s-tastic and returned to an era of the X-Men that was so much fun and so iconic. I loved and collected the series from start to finish, though it certainly had its ups and downs. Yes, the art often suffered, but where I think the book really faltered was that it threw out so much of the nostalgic factors that attracted so many people to the book in the first place. After the 1st story arc, everyone scrapped their sweet Jim Lee duds (even though chronologically they'd all JUST gone through a costume change), and sported new looks. The characters had gone back to their roots at first, but then quickly became just as unrecognizable as their modern counter-parts. Storm become entangled in Wakandan affairs, Rogue was stripped of her super strength and ability to fly, Nightcrawler became some white dude. It got messy. It really threw out some important aspects of nostalgia that the book needed to make it work.

Twitter: @SequentialTexan Jonnytech's Avatar

Checked, and it looks all the "forever" books (X-men, X-men 2, New Mutant, and X-Factor) are on the Marvel Unlimited digital service

I'm totally gonna try this series, now. LOL And its funny but Tom Grummett like Todd Nauck and Dan Jurgens and I'd throw in Jerry Ordway are some of the best and most underrated artists out there. They don't have late books, they do good work and they should have consistent work. Its a pity they never get the A-list books anymore. And thanks for the heads up on the X-Factor Forever series I'm going to look for it in the back issue bins . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto_16 View Post
    I'm totally gonna try this series, now. LOL And its funny but Tom Grummett like Todd Nauck and Dan Jurgens and I'd throw in Jerry Ordway are some of the best and most underrated artists out there. They don't have late books, they do good work and they should have consistent work. Its a pity they never get the A-list books anymore. And thanks for the heads up on the X-Factor Forever series I'm going to look for it in the back issue bins . . .
    I'd add Darryl Banks to that list. It's a crime he's not on a monthly comic right now, and hasn't been in years.
    Iceman! Archangel! Black Widow! Hercules! Ghost Rider! Darkstar!
    Because the world STILL needs Champions..!

The Bobby Drake/ Iceman Appreciation Thread