Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Later Animal Man - any good?

I just finished the Animal Man trade (Born To Be Wild) collecting Peter Milligan's issues and the start of Tom Veitch's run and really enjoyed it. I've seen an opportunity to get the last 30-odd issues of the series at a decent price and I'm wondering if it's held in high regard, low regard or no regard?

Yeah, get the Delano run.
    BB

FF purist-snob

Three words: "Church of Maxine". Delano rocked.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

Agreed regarding Delano. The last issues (80-89?) were written by Jerry Prosser, and get a bit too bizarre for my tastes, but if you can get 'em cheap, go for it.

I really liked Delano's run at the time. Can't say for past that.

Jamie Delano's run started off very strong, but by the end it had become way too self-indulgent.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Jamie Delano's run started off very strong, but by the end it had become way too self-indulgent.
    You may mean it in a different way, but I find Delano better the more self-indulgent he is. Bad Blood and The Horrorist, Batman/Manbat, all read to me like Delano sort of made lists of things he'd like in a comic, and then just shaped a narrative and characters around them, and they're so much stronger for that level of caring.

Ignoring the spam poster...

I recently reread my Animal Man run, and scooted out to fill in the gaps in my collection, which were mostly late in the run.

I agree that the last issues were rather bizarre, but at least they bring the stories to conclusion, so you might as well get them if you can do it cheaply (like a buck each). The best part of the Animal Man series, IMHO, were mostly pre-Vertigo, though (though the first Vertigo issue rocked). I wasn't as thrilled with the "Church of Maxine", but it was OK. The Baker family still kept me reading.

The Annual, by the way, although it ties into the Children's Crusade (a story arc I loved, but then, I really like Books of Magic, Tim Hunter, and the Ghost Boy Detectives), does have elements important to the ongoing Animal Man story as well. So you should definitely include it in your reading, if you don't have it already.
    Currently reading far too many comics to list (mostly DC/Vertigo), despite the best hope of my parents that I'd outgrow comics by the time I turned 50.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    You may mean it in a different way, but I find Delano better the more self-indulgent he is. Bad Blood and The Horrorist, Batman/Manbat, all read to me like Delano sort of made lists of things he'd like in a comic, and then just shaped a narrative and characters around them, and they're so much stronger for that level of caring.
    I think the original poster is referring to Delano's run on Animal Man and not his career.
    That said, I re-read the entire series about 10 years ago and as I recall wasn't all that impressed after Milligan left, and really, I didn't think his run was all that great.
    It might be worth revisiting. For the most part I've always enjoyed Delano's work, and I think he's usually a brilliant writer.

I found Manbat and The Horrorist pretty weak. Bad Blood is great though. Probably Delano's best work that I've read.

Except for the Prosser run, Animal Man after Milligan is certainly worth reading. The remainder of the Tom Veich run attempts at an epic storyline that never quite comes together, but they're still mostly solid comics-- certainly better than most early '90s superhero comics. The Delano run is quite good, although as it develops it sorta becomes "political issue of the month" over the ongoing story, but not so much that it becomes bogged down. The Prosser issues are some of Vertigo's worst material, and I'd recommend just pretending that they don't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    The Prosser issues are some of Vertigo's worst material, and I'd recommend just pretending that they don't exist.
    Has anyone every read or come across any interviews with Prosser regarding Animal Man? I consider his run on the book - along with Pollack's Doom Patrol - one of the greatest "WTF?!" moments comic book history. Someone out there has to have some sort of explanation how these once acclaimed series were allowed to take such dramatic nosedives...

Every time this topic comes up, I mean to ask but always forget.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Has anyone every read or come across any interviews with Prosser regarding Animal Man? I consider his run on the book - along with Pollack's Doom Patrol - one of the greatest "WTF?!" moments comic book history. Someone out there has to have some sort of explanation how these once acclaimed series were allowed to take such dramatic nosedives...

I think Pollack's run was great, actually. I was barely hanging in on new comics when that came out and it really grabbed me. The art's less than desirable on some issues, but the writing is seriously good stuff and most of the art was effective emotionally.

It was one of the opening titles of Vertigo, and I think there was considerable finding-ground going on, in all the comics that weren't just ported over from collapsed publishers, like Kill Your Boyfriend or Enigma. What can Vertigo's audience take? and all that. Grant Morrison has talked, before, about the second extended arc of The Invisibles being him perhaps reaching beyond where the standard audience's comfort zone/interest zone was, and I think Pollack came out the gate doing that on Doom Patrol. It's not poor work, it was just perhaps misaimed.

It was one of the opening titles of Vertigo, and I think there was considerable finding-ground going on... What can Vertigo's audience take? and all that.
    That's probably a better explanation than the one I've always fallen back on, which is "they were being weird just for the sake of being weird".

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post

Pollack's Doom Patrol was pure sh!@.
    I'd call it a cheap facsimile of what Morrison was doing, but that's an insult to the copying machine.
    Just horrible. Bad writing, bad art, dumb storyline. I remember that leading up to her run, Vertigo would publish her letters (remember when comics had letter columns?), and I thought: Who is this ditz?
    That said, Doom Patrol, in its subsequent series (yes, thanks to her bad storytelling, no doubt that volume was cancelled), never got any better.