Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does Superman inspire you/affect how you conduct yourself?

I would say yes. Superman is a very inspirational fictional character. I don't go about my day trying match his personality or anything, but I get an uplifting feeling when I read a Superman story, I have a sense of trying to be the best me I can be, and Superman among other things inspires me to try and reach that

Edit: Ugh, meant to post this in the Superman board. Can a mod move this thread for me? I need to not post when I'm tired :p
    Last edited by HXHAlex; 04-22-2013 at 09:49 PM.

I get what you're saying totally. I don't intend to put on blue tights and go stop crime, but the things Superman stands for are universal truths. Superman is all about us reaching our full potential and coming together for the greater good. Despite nationality, religion, creed, or what-have-you, in the end we're all human beings co-inhabiting this planet. I love the line Luthor has in All-Star Superman about seeing the world "like HE sees it" - everything connected.

In addition, Superman is about standing up to the bullies of the world and saying "Enough". This is a lesson I think most of us have to learn in our lives. If the first lesson about all of us being connected isn't enough to get rid of the bullies of the world, we can at least learn to be brave enough to stand up to them.

Finally, Superman is about sacrificing of ourselves to help others. Whether its time, money, self, etc - giving of oneself to a neighbor is the essence of compassion and kindness. This ties in with my first thought, but it seemed to need its own little paragraph.

So yes, on my best days, when i'm inspired to be my best, when I allow myself to feel compassion for others and hope to lead by practice, I can honestly say one of the main factors of those mindsets are from THE Man of Steel. Now it's got to be said, my upbringing and faith are much larger factors, but Superman is definitely up there too!

Like many children I grew up reading comics and watching the Saturday morning cartoons and I would say yes, Superman and the other DC superheroes did inspire me. They taught me in those days that it matters to do good not for the reward or the glory but for just doing the right thing.

You bet he does. He represents an ideal to strive towards.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Absolutely yes. Superman is about hope and helping those in need. He strives to bring out the best in us so that we can all pull together and make the world a better place. Stand up for your self and those who can't stand up for themselves. I grew up with Superman and try to live up to those ideals. Do the right thing because it's the right thing. If you have the power to help someone, you should. You know something, my life is a whole lot better for it. Nothing beats a smile from someone who just needed a little help and you were there to be their superhero.

Definitely, no doubt about it. I don't wear tights or fight crime but he inspires me to do the best I can do in this world, to stick to ideals that should never die. Not only that, he gets me up on a bad day.
    I think he's a good man. I like him. I got nothing against him, but I'm definitely gonna make orphans of his children.

Yes. Unlike most of you guys I only became a Superman fan when I was around 14, I was having a hard time in my life and reading about a guy who, despite everything, does what's right and does it with a smile in his face (and people love him for it) was just...inspiring, you know? I don't think about wearing tights (or armor) and go out to fight some crime, but I do try to live up to the ideals that Superman sets, actually, I had a hard time deciding what I wanted to do with my life because I wanted to help people and I didn't knew how.

Superman is a great character and a great symbol. I love to see so many people saying how Superman makes their lives a little better, it's just great to know you're not alone thinking this way.

Yes. Even if he's a fictional character, the values instilled in him are real. He inspires me to be a better person.

This is an example of that:

KEEP FIGHTING, NO MATTER WHAT.
    Last edited by TomariS; 04-23-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Say what you will about that show, but that scene brings a tear to my eye.

You're damned right Superman inspires me. Always has. Always will.

He's made me a better man, a better husband, and a better father. And man, Im so, so very thankful for that.

Absolutely. From the first day my father sat me down and watched the first Superman movie with me on VHS. He gives hope to everyone, no matter who you are. The universal values he represents of doing good, having strength no mater what, always try to do the right thing even if you come a little short, never be afraid to get back up, and to give others a chance. He gives an ideal to strive for. He's so surpassed being a fictional character that he's a self realized idea. You see his symbol and you can't help but feel uplifted.

Smallville aired from the time I entered high school to the time I turned 25. I grow up as Clark did and say what you will about the show but it helped me through some dark times and made me and probably lots of other people feel like they weren't the only ones who felt like outsiders.

Nevermind double post

He's Always Right Ismail's Light's Avatar

Nope. But I like him precisely because of the fact that his attitude, personality and morals align so closely with the ones instilled by me by my father and mother. And the fact that he does the right thing, not because of a personal tragedy, but because he represents the desire, deep down in every person, to do what's right when seeing injustice commited, whether it is a generous person being cheated out of their possessions and taken advantage of, a corrupt justice system exploting the innocent, or little boys being murdered by knife-wielding maniacs whilst trying to protect their sisters in some small, isolated town a half a world away. Except the Man of Steel can put an end to that crap, whilst we can't.

Fight on, Superman.

BANNED

Sometimes I think how I view Superman is akin to how religious people see Jesus.

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say he inspires me, but reading about a superpowered alien whose world exploded espousing Midwestern values is uplifting in a sense, I suppose.

As cheesey as it sounds, he inspires me on a "man" level

i feel like a lot of attributes assocated with men of an older time period, honour, value's and restraint are lost in mordern society. kal-el reminds me of this and i often try to portay myself in a similar light