Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Supergirl, #19

Mike Johnson and Mahmud Asrar bring Lex Luthor and Power Girl to "Supergirl" #19 for a fast-moving, action-packed story.

Full review here.

I'm not sure the "classic" Power Girl costume is capably introduced. While inside Kara's underwater palace Power Girl muses about feeling under-dressed by her shredded clothes. The AI of the palace hears this worry and provides her with new clothes which PG says worked out nicely for her.... Eve though the classic PG outfit is no less revealing that the tatters she was just wearing.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

I think the point of that though is that the new costume is in fact influenced by actual kryptonian fashion sense in this continuity, as opposed to just being a "boob window".

I have to say I definitely enjoyed this issue, this issue has been the best that Power Girl has been depicted so far in the New 52, which says very little about Worlds' Finest to date (although that book is finally turning around). As merely a lay reader of Supergirl who hasn't read every issue to date, how again did Kara Zor-El get her own Fortress at the bottom of the ocean?

Also that bugged me that the writer screwed up and got the last names wrong between the two Kara's and made the spelling exactly the same, which it is not. But that was my only quibble for the entire issue. I will definitely be back for issue #20 and am interested in the continuation of this story line. I actually like the two Kara's interacting a lot more than the forced plot for the WF book.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Earth 2, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    . . . Also that bugged me that the writer screwed up and got the last names wrong between the two Kara's and made the spelling exactly the same, which it is not. But that was my only quibble for the entire issue. I will definitely be back for issue #20 and am interested in the continuation of this story line. I actually like the two Kara's interacting a lot more than the forced plot for the WF book.
    Actually, it doesn't look like it was a mistake.

While Power Girl had been "Kara Zor-L" prior to Flashpoint, that doesn't appear to be the case for the New 52 version. (http://www.dccomics.com/characters/p...ress-in-comics)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Then how do you explain that in every issue of Worlds' Finest to date, it's been Kara Zor-L for Power Girl when her full name has been used? Unless it's yet another midstream retcon by DC I suppose.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Earth 2, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    Then how do you explain that in every issue of Worlds' Finest to date, it's been Kara Zor-L for Power Girl when her full name has been used? Unless it's yet another midstream retcon by DC I suppose.
    "Every issue of Worlds' Finest to date"?!? Really, isn't that a tad overdoing it?

Can you name issues and page numbers where that happened? I did a quick skimming through a couple of issues, and I didn't notice any reference to Kara's full name in any of those, but I did not check every issue printed so far.

All I know is, the "Who's Who in the New 52" section in the #0 issue (which fell between Worlds' Finest #4 and #5) specifically used "Kara Zor-El".
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Hell yah! I love the exposure this issue is getting. My LCS had a healthy order of this book over the usual inventory of Supergirl which pleased me to no end. Go Karas GO!

I did really like how both Karas were portrayed, and especially the PG Kara, who came across very well and very...Power Girl here.
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!