Default Changes to the status quo

Been reading a few threads and I've been thinking about the status quo change of some characters. Most specifically people complaining about Guy Gardner turning from a Green Lantern to a Red Lantern. That got me thinking of the time he wore a yellow ring and then when he was known as the Warrior. It also got me thinking of the Red and Blue Supermen, Batgirl becoming Oracle and others that have gone through similar status quo changes.

How do you guys feel about status quo changes in general. Do you want your favorite characters to be the same 100% of the time? Limited status quo changes? What if it's a permanent shift for the character?
    _______
    |____.._|
    _(_O_)_
    |______|

It all depends on how good the result is. When big changes are announced a lot of people immediately fear the worst, but after reading the finished product will say, "That was a lot better than I expected." Initially I was very wary about the reintroduction of JSA characters as young and inexperienced, but now Earth 2 is one of my favorite titles.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.

SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

I've got no issues with them unless they're made to saveguard another character.

Like memory-less Connor Hawke , Armless Roy Harper or "nowhere-to-be-found" Wally West.

Oracle, I liked; the character works better than Babs as Batgirl to me. Red/Blue Supes was never more than a gimmick, and as such I never took seriously, so whatever. I'm one of the few that thought Parallax Hal was cool (even though Emerald Twilight sucked).

Earth 2 is another example of something executed well, in my eyes, even if I didn't agree with the concept.

For me, it depends on the change and what leads up to it.

If the character development is believable and/or the new costume works well visually, then I'm fine with it.

My only issue with Guy going Red is I have little to no interest in picking up Red Lanterns. That interest did increase a bit with Guy now on it, but not enough. So now I won't be reading much with Guy in it anymore since he won't be in Corps, and of course JLI was cancelled.

R
    Quote Originally Posted by Doom85 View Post
    If the character development is believable and/or the new costume works well visually, then I'm fine with it.

My only issue with Guy going Red is I have little to no interest in picking up Red Lanterns. That interest did increase a bit with Guy now on it, but not enough. So now I won't be reading much with Guy in it anymore since he won't be in Corps, and of course JLI was cancelled.
    Would you be interested in it if it was a solo series as Guy as Red Lantern?

Another few that come to mind are the Robins, they all gone on to have different identities (Dick and Jason more than one)
    _______
    |____.._|
    _(_O_)_
    |______|

It all depends on the execution. Superman's energy powers wasn't a bad idea, in and of itself, but the problem going forward was that the momentum died after a few months. And didn't pick back up until he was split in two. In between, the stories were ho-hum. The changes with Robin over the years have worked, because they were executed well. There was a build up to it and the aftermath kept people interested. The changes to the Hulk during Peter David's run worked well, because they were well done and presented a new aspect to the character that worked. On the other hand, Bruce Jones run was crap because he kept the Hulk to a minimum. I only read his Hulk and Wolverine mini-series and felt that was a complete waste.