Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    What's Best For Business Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

What, no love for Gladiator? He'd do an even better job than Superman.

The Odinson himself, The Mighty Thor. In fact, he was originally created as an expy of Superman before going off into his own thing.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

- C.S. Lewis

Dory St. Johns on Wikicadia

Starting the operation! GrampaGen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    What, no love for Gladiator? He'd do an even better job than Superman.
    Powerwise, yes, but Gladiator doesn't have Clark's people skills or humility, and generally works better as a soldier than an inspiring figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    On that note, Invincible.
    I second this.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

What's Best For Business Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrampaGen View Post
    Powerwise, yes, but Gladiator doesn't have Clark's people skills or humility, and generally works better as a soldier than an inspiring figure.
    Hmm, good point. Didn't think about that aspect of it.

Strrrrrrrrrrrrex mailedbypostman1's Avatar

The God-Emperor of Mankind
    Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrex

DOOM DEMANDS MORE NACHOS!

Um, you DO know that Gladiator has now been the leader (Majestor) of the Shi'ar empire, an empire that controls thousands or millions of worlds, for years now, right? He was also the leader of the imperial guard - not a soldier, not a member, the leader of the guard, for, well, the entire history of his run, and, in narrative, at least for several hundred years before his first appearance. I mean, he's got more leadership feats than Supes, by far. He's significantly more violent and lethal, given the culture he comes from, but still a proven, effective leader.

Starting the operation! GrampaGen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Um, you DO know that Gladiator has now been the leader (Majestor) of the Shi'ar empire, an empire that controls thousands or millions of worlds, for years now, right? He was also the leader of the imperial guard - not a soldier, not a member, the leader of the guard, for, well, the entire history of his run, and, in narrative, at least for several hundred years before his first appearance. I mean, he's got more leadership feats than Supes, by far. He's significantly more violent and lethal, given the culture he comes from, but still a proven, effective leader.
    I'm not going to dispute Gladiator's abilities as a tactical commander, outside of a few choice PIS moments (for example, sending the Imperial Guard to get toasted by Vulcan before finally gritting his teeth and punching his eye out)

However, his presence is marked mostly by an intimidation factor, which contrasts starkly with Superman being a personable symbol of hope, which was what I was getting at.

As for his tenure as Majestor, I have no idea. I stopped following the Cosmic scene after the Annihilators minis, in which Gladiator bounced from his Majestor duties to work for Cosmo. How's his administration been since then?

DOOM DEMANDS MORE NACHOS!

I'm not going to dispute Gladiator's abilities as a tactical commander, outside of a few choice PIS moments (for example, sending the Imperial Guard to get toasted by Vulcan before finally gritting his teeth and punching his eye out)

However, his presence is marked mostly by an intimidation factor, which contrasts starkly with Superman being a personable symbol of hope, which was what I was getting at.

As for his tenure as Majestor, I have no idea. I stopped following the Cosmic scene after the Annihilators minis, in which Gladiator bounced from his Majestor duties to work for Cosmo. How's his administration been since then?
    1. Gladiator might well be what passes for a "personable" symbol of hope in Shi'ar society - they are a violent group. Superman is superhuman, Gladiator is supershi'aran. Where Superman is kind of an idealized image of what a human ought to be, Kallark is the same, but for the Shi'ar. But he's also never really been the lead character of long-running comic series, so he's lacking in character development. He certainly brings hope to the Imperial Guard when he shows up to a fight where they are getting beaten, kind of like Superman has a long history of flying in an saving the League's bacon.

2. His administration seems just fine: the Shi'ar are back, after War of Kings, to being one of the top dog, er, bird, societies in the universe. They don't seem to be suffering under his leadership, and you figure he can't be any worse than Deathbird, Vulcan or D'ken - all of whom are missing some crackers in their chowder. He hasn't sent armies to eliminate families of earth mutants, or started to send intergalactic prisoners to Earth as a prison or anything like that - things that happened under Lilandra's rule, and she was by far the most stable of the Shi'ar leaders outside of Glads. He's also, thankfully, not banging Chaz Xavier, though that might only be because Charles is currently dead.

Captain Atom, with the proper motivation.

I was going to mention Set the Destroyer, but then I thought about things like 'being a symbol of hope', and 'not killing the bad guys', 'not blowing up cities as collateral in his (very short) fights against Superman's enemies', and so forth, and....well, that idea went down the tubes.

RITA's punching bag nervmeister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mailedbypostman1 View Post
    The God-Emperor of Mankind
    Oh god, no. His hiring practices alone would f**k everything up.
    Last edited by nervmeister; 04-23-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    Declared a king among men by Black atom: 5/11/07
    Given a cool award, an awesome award, and the keys to the internet: 11/8/06
    Won thread:5/15/07
    Won a cool award: 6/28/07
    Won post of the year: 7/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by DABishop View Post
    In addition to having the worst life ever, having everyone he meets get brutally raped and/or killed, and being constantly hunted by demons, Guts also has the world's ugliest baby.

Congrats Guts, your life sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    The Odinson himself, The Mighty Thor. In fact, he was originally created as an expy of Superman before going off into his own thing.
    Seconded. He's probably the best choice from the Marvel universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorblax View Post
    Captain Atom, with the proper motivation.
    Heh, that's pretty much what happens in the "Young Justice" cartoon when Supes, Bats, WW, MM, Hawkgirl, and the GLs leave Earth for an extended period of time. Captain Atom essentially assumes leadership of the League.

Joke Post.

Bills!
    Won 6 Awesome Awards, 2Cool awards, 2 internets, a Raging storm and funniest video award
    My RPG Site!

Well, the Earth would be safer.

Or destroyed.

Depends really.