Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Boston on Lockdown, Comic Con Still On Track

Despite reports of a lockdown across Boston and surrounding areas that has delayed load-in for this weekend's Boston Comic Con, the show is still expected to move forward.

Full article here.

Even if a bunch of the creators aren't able to make it in due to flight restrictions and the martial law situation in the area, the Boston Comic Con going on as scheduled is an inspiring move. We can't be paralyzed in fright because of these horrible yet isolated incidents, and this event going on as planned speaks to the strong resolve of Americans.

Big Hairy Member JeffreyWKramer's Avatar

I'm so glad that in the midst of such a huge tragedy, CBR's journalists are there to report on matters of such great importance.
    My Cooking Blog!

KRAMER'S LAWS:
    1) Most people are stupid.
    2) Most people who aren't stupid often behave as if they were stupid.
    3) Many people who are not stupid nonetheless believe a lot of astonishingly stupid things.

“really? isnt the bible millions of years old?” – curefreak
    “Yep. It was originally written by a stegosaurus and a fern.” – Dan Apodaca

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyWKramer View Post
    I'm so glad that in the midst of such a huge tragedy, CBR's journalists are there to report on matters of such great importance.
    And what should they do?

Quote Originally Posted by Another Aaron View Post
    And what should they do?
    Demonstrate some sense of perspective. If right now the words "Comic Con" even enter your consciousness when you hear or think the word "Boston," your sense of perspective is seriously lacking.
    My Cooking Blog!

KRAMER'S LAWS:
    3) Many people who are not stupid nonetheless believe a lot of astonishingly stupid things.

Demonstrate some sense of perspective. If right now the words "Comic Con" even enter your consciousness when you hear or think the word "Boston," your sense of perspective is seriously lacking.
    I work as a news journalist (not in Boston), and I can tell you that if the CBR reporters tried to get into the kind of press conferences you think they should only be concerned with, the government agents there would not accept their credentials. CBR know this. Why should they be reporting on issues outside of their expertise? Do you think ESPN should be covering the police news briefings, as well?

I know everyone is upset by this incident, but don't attack these guys for doing their job. CBR's mentioning of the events in Boston has been, so far, more than adequate when considering most sites like this didn't give it a blurb.

Quote Originally Posted by ryab View Post
    I work as a news journalist (not in Boston), and I can tell you that if the CBR reporters tried to get into the kind of press conferences you think they should only be concerned with, the government agents there would not accept their credentials. CBR know this. Why should they be reporting on issues outside of their expertise? Do you think ESPN should be covering the police news briefings, as well?

I know everyone is upset by this incident, but don't attack these guys for doing their job. CBR's mentioning of the events in Boston has been, so far, more than adequate when considering most sites like this didn't give it a blurb.
    I wasn't suggesting CBR folk try to get into news conferences dealing with the current tragedy. That would be ludicrous.

My suggestion is that right now, if a comic journalist needs to be reporting on something, it would probably show a better sense of perspective to be reporting on something entirely unrelated to Boston. Presumably some DC exec has said something inane in the past few days that could be reported upon, or Jim Balent has a new titty book to write about, or something.
    My Cooking Blog!

KRAMER'S LAWS:

Jeffrey, your comments are absolutely absurd. A major industry event is transpiring in the same city that's under a complete lock down. CBR is being responsible journalists by reporting on matters related to the event, informing their readers and industry members who read the site about whether the event is going on in a serious manner.
    - JimmyDee -
    I ain't no hot dog, yo.

My suggestion is that right now, if a comic journalist needs to be reporting on something, it would probably show a better sense of perspective to be reporting on something entirely unrelated to Boston.
    That's idiotic. There are thousands (maybe tens of thousands?) of people planning to attend the Boston Comic Con. It is entirely appropriate for CBR to report on what's going on with the convention, as that's information PEOPLE NEED that will likely not be widely reported by the mainstream press.

People have booked flights, train tickets, bus rides, etc, have taken time off from work, booked hotel rooms, etc. In some cases those are commitments of hundreds/thousands of dollars. And that's to say nothing of the larger financial commitments of vendors, etc. Folks need to know whether they should be cancelling their plans or moving forward.

Don't be so sanctimonious to presume what is or isn't acceptable for people to report on or read about. Clearly, CBR providing an update on the Con does nothing to take away from the seriousness of the larger situation. The idea people looking for more information somehow don't care about the people who've died or been otherwise affected is insulting bordering on sickening.

Given the site's audience, I think "Tomorrow's Boston comic convention is still happening" is a perfectly legitimate story. If for no other reason than because of the surrounding circumstances, people would legitimately be asking "IS the convention still happening? And if so, is there anything I need to know?"

It's not like this is about an event next month, or even next week. It's in less than 24 hours. There's a certain urgency to that.

People bought tickets, reserved hotel rooms, and booked flights. It's obviously not a CNN-level story, but a comic book news site? That's something they SHOULD report.

This just in, also numerous GUN SHOWS will also still take place despite the lockdown.

Money never sleeps.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

I think there are more important things to focus on, and I don't think its a call you can make right now. But as for this article I don't feel its inappropriate. I just personally don't care given what's going on in Boston that takes precedent. But this is a comic website, so i don't think you can really fault them for reporting on this, whether you feel it is insensitive or not.

If the situation resolves itself than Comic-Con should be good to go. I fully expect things to get resolved today, but they may not, and Comic Con may be cancelled. No one can really say right now

By golly, y'all have convinced me, you're right and I'm wrong.

We should be proud the comics industry and its supporters show the same sense of perspective as those noble enterpreneurs who put on gun shows and those who support them.

Maybe someone will put out a Captain America comic about it.
    My Cooking Blog!

KRAMER'S LAWS:

By golly, y'all have convinced me, you're right and I'm wrong.

We should be proud the comics industry and its supporters show the same sense of perspective as those noble enterpreneurs who put on gun shows and those who support them.

Maybe someone will put out a Captain America comic about it.
    The Big 2 are working on a tribute comic right now.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    This just in, also numerous GUN SHOWS will also still take place despite the lockdown.

Money never sleeps.
    I don't get why people are saying things will happen when there is a lock down. If there is still a lockdown these events won't happen, or at least shouldn't. Once the lockdown has ended than it can go back to business as usual.

Just seems like a premature call at the moment