Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

I'm a Canadian -- I don't feel any nationalistic pride in Alpha/Omega/Beta Flight and I don't care if they get owned so long as it's not outright jobbing. It's an Avengers book let the Avengers win.

They'd be better served making the Avengers truly international, with multiple bases around the world and their primary base being on a floating fortress or a helicarrier or something. They can still have the historic mansion / tower in NYC but they can make it clear that's not really the centre of command anymore.

That and spending time developing / creating non-shit characters for other national teams. I hate the fact that most characters are some "clever" play on their national origin, like Russia gets the talking bear. Or Snowbird can transform into "any animal native to Canada". Just make them normal characters. Give their origins, characters, names, etc authentic to the region, but don't give them stupid gimmicks like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    Hercules is as Greek as Thor is Swedish.
    Hercules was born in Thebes, and his mother Alcmene was greek, same as his stepfather, king Anphitrion. He was raised in Greece as a Greek and lived his mortal life in Greece.

As a matter of fact, a large part of the Greek race, the Dorians, were supposed to be all descendants of Hercules.

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I'm a Canadian -- I don't feel any nationalistic pride in Alpha/Omega/Beta Flight and I don't care if they get owned so long as it's not outright jobbing. It's an Avengers book let the Avengers win.

They'd be better served making the Avengers truly international, with multiple bases around the world and their primary base being on a floating fortress or a helicarrier or something. They can still have the historic mansion / tower in NYC but they can make it clear that's not really the centre of command anymore.

That and spending time developing / creating non-shit characters for other national teams. I hate the fact that most characters are some "clever" play on their national origin, like Russia gets the talking bear. Or Snowbird can transform into "any animal native to Canada". Just make them normal characters. Give their origins, characters, names, etc authentic to the region, but don't give them stupid gimmicks like that.
    I completely agree. If that were the case with American superheroes Captain America would have multiple personality disorder, one being a gun-toting fat conservative (aka "Don't tread on me") and the other being a stylish slender ultra-liberal who doesn't understand how hypocritical he is.

In any case, I think that's why international teams fail. First of all, Alpha Flight sucks because they were all mutants. Chris Claremont, mutants are NOT mutually interesting. There are shit mutants too, and you created several of them in Alpha Flight. Secondly, a super-hero Yeti or Shillelagh wielding Irishman isn't enough to keep a reader interested.

I think the Omega Flight approach from Civil War was a good idea, but Marvel has a lot of trouble with a) teams without X or Avengers attached to them and b) settings outside of either coasts of America. I guess c) would be that the talent they put on these international books aren't a-list, and when they are (again CLAREMONT) they write stories that are extremely hardcore and off-putting to "casual" readers. My girlfriend is getting immersed into the Marvel U and wants to start learning about everything. An issue of X-Calibur would blow her brains out with how over-complicated the plot is.

That said, Marvel, I'm open to doing an international book. You'll have my pitch by tomorrow morning.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBodyAtCBR View Post
    I completely agree. If that were the case with American superheroes Captain America would have multiple personality disorder, one being a gun-toting fat conservative (aka "Don't tread on me") and the other being a stylish slender ultra-liberal who doesn't understand how hypocritical he is.

In any case, I think that's why international teams fail. First of all, Alpha Flight sucks because they were all mutants. Chris Claremont, mutants are NOT mutually interesting. There are shit mutants too, and you created several of them in Alpha Flight. Secondly, a super-hero Yeti or Shillelagh wielding Irishman isn't enough to keep a reader interested.

I think the Omega Flight approach from Civil War was a good idea, but Marvel has a lot of trouble with a) teams without X or Avengers attached to them and b) settings outside of either coasts of America. I guess c) would be that the talent they put on these international books aren't a-list, and when they are (again CLAREMONT) they write stories that are extremely hardcore and off-putting to "casual" readers. My girlfriend is getting immersed into the Marvel U and wants to start learning about everything. An issue of X-Calibur would blow her brains out with how over-complicated the plot is.

That said, Marvel, I'm open to doing an international book. You'll have my pitch by tomorrow morning.
    Okay, first of all, Alpha Flight lasted a lot longer than a lot of other books, and it's awesome.
    Even Claremont thought it was going to flop instantly, but what do you know? It lasted a lot longer!

My friend even got into Alpha Flight cause the idea of international teams was interesting to him.

Well, I don't know about Alpha Flight being total shit, I haven't read a lot of them, but they had some good characters. Northstar was a good example of a character who is clearly Canadian but not too gimmicky which is why he's become popular and moved to the X-Men. I liked some of the others too.

I do think an International Avengers squad would do better than an Alpha Flight book. If it does well, use it as a platform to put together national teams. Have them guest-star or join the main book or be antagonistic or whatever. Maybe do an anthology-style book where each arc focuses on one regional Avengers team, and use national characters as part of the rosters or as support / antagonists etc.

Pixar Rocket Raccoon!!! Jaded Devil's Avatar

First of all, Alpha Flight sucks because they were all mutants.
    Two magic users, one alien, two members using battle suits, a goddess, a powerless adventurer type, a scientist in the body of a mystical creature, and two mutants. Yup...all mutants, like you said.

Have you even read Alpha Flight or do you just like to hear yourself bitch about things you have no idea about?
    There's no sense in nonsense when the heat's hot.

Is this the first time that Avengers, New Avengers and Uncanny Avengers would be coming out in the same week? AWESOME! Avengers Arena and Young Avengers would have new issues as well so only Avengers Assemble is not joining the party. Let the battle for the best Avengers title for the week begin!
    I don't think there's a current mainstream American superhero comic book that can touch Hawkeye right now. Brilliant all the way. Entertaining and technically outstanding at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded Devil View Post
    Two magic users, one alien, two members using battle suits, a goddess, a powerless adventurer type, a scientist in the body of a mystical creature, and two mutants. Yup...all mutants, like you said.

Have you even read Alpha Flight or do you just like to hear yourself bitch about things you have no idea about?
    Couldn't make it past the first few pages of the first issue. All I got out of it was that they were mostly mutants between those three teams. And yes. This is the Internet. OF COURSE I like to hear myself bitch about things I have no idea about.

Default My idea for a breakout new Canadian hero

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    great! canada jobbing to marvel comics once again! smdh
    I have an idea for a new Canadian superhero that would have mass appeal. He would be a Canadian vampire who would be better than Peter Parker in the sense that the Canadian vampire would have a successful career as a luchador in Mexican professional wrestling. I suppose his name could be something like Vampiro. His look should probably be tall with long hair, and of course he should have some prominent tattoos.