Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Shelf Life - Apr 18, 2013

This week Ron Marz looks at the pleasures of DIY comic books and the sense of satisfaction that it engenders, specifically focusing on his early days and his new comic "The Protectors."

Full article here.

SUPERRRRB....cant wait.

Will dis b a monthly or biweekly or bi-monthly?

Is it a 1-shot, an ongoing or a mini?

Will d team expand 2 include more diverse xcters frm across d globe...Asia, Arab states, Africa, South America?

Or even d possibility of sentient life-forms like alien &/or robot xcters?

R der any other buks coming out l8r frm Athleta comix(u can gv us/SZ title/s with or without details if u can)?

It looks pretty good in general. Not surprising considering it’s Sears. A few nitpicks:

The cover’s ok but what happened with the top character’s left leg? Ouch.

Isaac Chike’s bio: “African” is not a nationality because Africa is a continent, not a nation. It says he emigrated from Liberia so I guess his nationality is Liberian. That said, a pro-football superstar that immigrated as a kid and still isn’t a US citizen? It sounds odd, at the very least.

“They decided to return the family to Africa”: Last I heard Liberia was a major shithole and has been that way for decades (if not since it was founded) and the rest of Africa isn’t in much better shape. It doesn’t make much sense. Well, I guess parents rarely make sense. In any case, I can’t blame him for not going.

“He lives a life of lonely solitude”: I’ve never heard of solitude that wasn’t lonely. I tried having some but I just wasn’t able to.
    "Corruptus In Extremis"

“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.” Jorge Luis Borges

"Omne animal triste est post coitum"

Quote Originally Posted by Kolymar View Post
    It looks pretty good in general. Not surprising considering it’s Sears. A few nitpicks:

The cover’s ok but what happened with the top character’s left leg? Ouch.

Isaac Chike’s bio: “African” is not a nationality because Africa is a continent, not a nation. It says he emigrated from Liberia so I guess his nationality is Liberian. That said, a pro-football superstar that immigrated as a kid and still isn’t a US citizen? It sounds odd, at the very least.

“They decided to return the family to Africa”: Last I heard Liberia was a major shithole and has been that way for decades (if not since it was founded) and the rest of Africa isn’t in much better shape. It doesn’t make much sense. Well, I guess parents rarely make sense. In any case, I can’t blame him for not going.

“He lives a life of lonely solitude”: I’ve never heard of solitude that wasn’t lonely. I tried having some but I just wasn’t able to.
    You might find solitude lonely, but you can't imagine others enjoying happy or satisfied solitude?

Man, I forget how AMAZING Bart Sears is. That art is gorgeous. This is something I would check out at $2.99, but not more than that. It kind of boggles my mind that the name The Protectors was not already in use like 40 years ago. I feel like it is a no brainer for a super hero team name. Just reading the Zero issue pages, this kind of feels like DCs Global Guardians, with the alien bestowing powers in the role of Dr. Mist.