View Poll Results: Biweekly B.P.R.D. sound good to you?

Voters
31. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Hell, yes! Sign me up!

13 41.94%
  • Sounds good, though it may stretch my comics budget a bit

2 6.45%
  • I'm fine with the monthly B.P.R.D., but I wouldn't say no to a bimonthly schedule either

1 3.23%
  • No, I couldn't afford it

1 3.23%
  • No, there's too much going on as it is

8 25.81%
  • I buy trades, and more trades is always good

6 19.35%
  • I buy trades, and I'm struggling to keep up as it is

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Biweekly BPRD

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    What he said
    Agreed on all points in this post.

I don't really get the argument that increasing the number of issues coming out would be more of a financial strain on some people, therefore they shouldn't do it. It's not really fair. You don't really have to pick every issue up as it comes out--you could always trade-wait and/or save up to buy the collections, which would take less time if the issues do start to come out more often and would also give you a more coherent reading experience than reading it week by week in the midst of other stuff. If they have the material and resources to do it, and they want to tell their story faster or tell more of it, why restrict them?

Maybe I'm too familiar with this world to be confused by all of these different stories coming out at the same time. By now I'm just used to rolling with it--hey, we're in 1944 with some Nazis in this one, in Utah in 1948 with the BPRD in that one, fighting mobsters in this other one... I don't mind the effort of fitting these stories into the larger narrative. They don't really clog the 'Hell on Earth' storyline for me since they aren't actually a part of it. They contribute to the main plot in significant ways, but they aren't the main plot themselves.

The present-day story is only restricted to one (now two) books, and it's really not that hard to keep track of what's going on in BPRD #100, 101, 102, 103... and Abe #1, #2, #3, etc. The other series add to it, but they're optional. Excellent reading that enriches the world as a whole, but is not totally required for enjoyment of BPRD. At least that's how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by cantide View Post
    The present-day story is only restricted to one (now two) books, and it's really not that hard to keep track of what's going on in BPRD #100, 101, 102, 103... and Abe #1, #2, #3, etc. The other series add to it, but they're optional. Excellent reading that enriches the world as a whole, but is not totally required for enjoyment of BPRD. At least that's how I see it.
    But that's not how it works, as I said in my earlier post. Pretty much every current Mignolaverse title (bar Baltimore) is linked. They cross over, they share information, they're entwined, yadda yadda. You'll never fully understand one without the other. Exorcism went on from a War on Frogs issue (I think, I can never remember which issue Ash debuts in), so you needed that grounding, and then if you'd read one of the 194X stories ('47?) then you had this whole other level to the story. It's why I tell people they shouldn't read B.P.R.D. without Hellboy, for example, you'll miss so much of the backstory if you don't (particularly Seed of Destruction, but Conqueror Worm is definitely vital for building the emotional attachment to Roger).

It's not about 'restricting' them, either. If they want to go fortnightly, fine. We can't stop them. But the comics market relies on sales so much, and if they put out too many titles at one time, their readers won't be able to pick up as many as if they were monthly (i.e. you assume that everyone has a maximum number of comics they'll be able to buy per month), and if they're like Middenway or some other members of this group, they'll want to read them as they come out in order to discuss them. If you picked up Exorcism today, most of us wouldn't be open to discussing it as much as we were back when it first came out. And B.P.R.D. is a series that is ripe for discussion.

If you look at the poll right now, you've got 8 people showing concerns (Budget+Too Much) vs 7 who are totally for it, and effectively 5 people who are ambivalent about it. To me that suggests that maybe going fortnightly isn't the best move, because it risks overloading a big group of their fans, or losing sales due to restrictive comic budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    ...if they're like Middenway or some other members of this group, they'll want to read them as they come out in order to discuss them. If you picked up Exorcism today, most of us wouldn't be open to discussing it as much as we were back when it first came out. And B.P.R.D. is a series that is ripe for discussion.
    That's a good point. I know it's a major reason I shifted from trade waiting to collecting the singles digitally as well. The conversation on the forums became a huge part of my enjoyment of the series.

But, I obviously answered "Hell yes" to the poll question. There's so much B.P.R.D. has to cover if it's going to keep pace with Abe Sapien.
    Last edited by Middenway; 04-17-2013 at 01:13 AM.

That's a good point. I know it's a major reason I shifted from trade waiting to collecting the singles digitally as well. The conversation on the forums became a huge part of my enjoyment of the series.
    Indeed. Dark Horse were generous enough to give me a digital copy of Hellboy in Hell #1 so I could join in with the Twitter chat due to my print copy not arriving. And I think that the digital store came in handy when discussing Exorcism, but I can't quite remember.

This is a tough one, but I think I come down on the "no" side.

My sentiments pretty much echo UnravThreads

Way, WAY too much going on and the writing isn't keeping pace with the artwork.
    Strangebeard: It's not the size of the pirate in the fight, but the size of the fight in the pirate.

They aren't. That was quite deliberate. I can't say more than that.

That's not really a scheduling issue though. It's just that the narrative of Hell on Earth is very different from Plague of Frogs. The team was tighter back then, there were less characters, they were usually on the same mission together. But there was also less urgency. In Hell on Earth they are relentlessly fighting against the pressing end of the world, whereas in Plague of Frogs, sure it was about fighting off frog monsters, but you could go through 10 issues and never see a single one. You could go on a detour with Abe to learn about his past, or go sideways to explore Daimio's condition, and no one complained that these were side stories. In fact, Garden of Souls and Killing Ground are some of the most highly praised stories in the series.

But when the end of the world came into play, suddenly you can't go sideways for five issues. You go sideways for even two issues and people get grumpy (even when the detour was vital to the plot). I think having two Hell on Earth books a month would be helpful there. It maintains the audience's perceived sense of urgency.

You don't see many stories like Exorcism, which was more insular, because telling a story for two months about one character is also not telling the story of five other characters for two months, and it seems the audience has less patience for that now. Having twice as many issues per month actually gives you the space to tell more stories like this, because they are less of a strain on the audience's patience.

I liked The Abyss of Time, but I'm willing to bet if you'd had a really great Ashley Strode story following directly in the wake of The Return of the Master, it too would have copped a lot of flak for being perceived as a side story.

Our expectations as readers has changed so radically. Think back to when Plague of Frogs cycle was coming out and was suddenly interrupted by 1946, 1947, or even War on Frogs. No one batted an eyelid. But if The Return of the Master had been followed by 1948, there would definitely have been complaining.

More issues per month is not simply more. It relaxes the pressures on pacing for the creative team. And it doesn't necessarily mean there will be more Mignolaverse books per month. It may well be four still, it's just that two of them will be Hell on Earth issues.
    I much like your observation there, Middenway, I could see a whole lot of sense to it.

I feel to be swimming on what Abe Sapien is gonna be like, I guess I'm inclined to thinking it might become like a single title more rather than a BPRD-one, like Witchfinder or Lobster Johnson or Hellboy.

But all in all I think I agree there shouldn't be too much sense of "but I want ongoing current Hellboy more than other stuff" or "but I want ongoing current BPRD more than other stuff".
    And I think this trumps my earlier idea that too much might be or might become to be going on. As if a sense of balance or nice spreading would seem best to me personally.

Also since a nice spread of titles coming out would likely help or enforce any diversity or cross-referencing between titles to only appear the less awkward or overwhelming?
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

I shouldn't have made this topic a poll. The conversation about it is far more interesting.

Biweekly? I think it's doable. We're not that far removed from it now, and while at some point I expected the Mignolaverse to stretch itself to thin and start to fray I think they're proven themselves with the quality and consistency (a consistency with variety!) of the series. There's good folks in charge, and they're good at seeking out brilliant cartoonists to expand the stories they'd like to tell. I'm at the point where I just trust Mike, John, and Scott because they've won that trust.

... also: love the shift from the paranormal agents to the grunts and their individual paranormal investigations. It was a bold move, but it actually goes back to the earliest BPRD cases in the pages of Hellboy. I get the feeling whenever something new comes into the fold in these books I step back and realize it's actually something that's been seeded almost since the beginning, just now sprouting.

My response to more Mignola remains unchanged: Take my money!

Seriously, while not every story knocks my socks off they're still great reads and I'll never say no to that.

The more they can put out, the better... a month is too long to wait.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this is already planned, and we'll probably get an announcement in the next month before the August solicitations (No insider info here, this is just speculation). With BPRD: Vampire ending in July, it opens up the space for it. Both Tyler Crook and James Harren are working on five-issue B.P.R.D. stories, and both artists have said they'll be coming out in 2013, but with one a month that can't possibly be true (Keep in mind though that artists don't always know the schedule of their books). Tyler Crook's working on Lake of Fire and James Harren is working on a Black Flame story. It'd be a pretty epic way to finish the year if this is in fact the case.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this is already planned, and we'll probably get an announcement in the next month before the August solicitations (No insider info here, this is just speculation). With BPRD: Vampire ending in July, it opens up the space for it. Both Tyler Crook and James Harren are working on five-issue B.P.R.D. stories, and both artists have said they'll be coming out in 2013, but with one a month that can't possibly be true (Keep in mind though that artists don't always know the schedule of their books). Tyler Crook's working on Lake of Fire and James Harren is working on a Black Flame story. It'd be a pretty epic way to finish the year if this is in fact the case.
    Would "Vampire" be the end of BPRD:1940s series? No "1949" or "1950"?
    I love the idea of them giving us more "Hell on Earth" trades each month ,
    but I just want to know if we would ever see young Hellboy again.

We'll see young Hellboy in Duncan Fegredo's graphic novel coming out... I don't know when. But sometime.

I hope your hunch is right, Middenway. Even just temporarily to get through some big events or thing that happen close in time to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Septaryeth View Post
    Would "Vampire" be the end of BPRD:1940s series? No "1949" or "1950"? I love the idea of them giving us more "Hell on Earth" trades each month , but I just want to know if we would ever see young Hellboy again.
    No, it's not the end. There will be no more 19-- books, but there will be more like Vampire, and they will be drawn by the Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá and written with Mike Mignola. I've no idea how long they'll continue that for. I don't even think they know yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by cantide View Post
    We'll see young Hellboy in Duncan Fegredo's graphic novel coming out... I don't know when. But sometime.
    The Midnight Circus is coming out this year. Mike Mignola's already finished the cover and Duncan Fegredo says it's amazing.