Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Star Wars, #4

Brian Wood and Carlos D'Anda pack a lot of character moments and plot points into "Star Wars" #4, giving readers of every primary character something to enjoy.

Full review here.

American at the Crossroad
    This weird geometrically shaped place in northern VA...

I really enjoy this series but have a problem with some aspects of the art--the art is great, but there's not enough to differentiate the characters when depicted in the close confines of their X-Wings since they're all wearing helmets that make them look alike. Many of those scenes I feel I have to read and reread, especially when the same characters are referred to by their real names AND call signs interchangeably.

"Four issues in and this series has not provided a letdown moment yet, giving readers every reason to believe that the Force is strong with Brian Wood and his creative collaborators"

I agree, of course. But I'm still thinking it could be possible to have a better artist. D'Anda is good, but not amazing.
    Avengers, New Av., Mighty Av., Secret Av., Uncanny Av., Young Av., Inhumanity, Thor God of Thunder, Wolverine.

I love D'Anda's work--I think he comes from the classic train of thought of adapting the characters for a comic book rather than making them be exact likenesses. When some artists try to go that route, each panel tends to look like it's been traced from a photo and the layouts tend to be stiff, IMO.
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by charlesjbaserap View Post
    I really enjoy this series but have a problem with some aspects of the art--the art is great, but there's not enough to differentiate the characters when depicted in the close confines of their X-Wings since they're all wearing helmets that make them look alike. Many of those scenes I feel I have to read and reread, especially when the same characters are referred to by their real names AND call signs interchangeably.
    Really? They all look pretty different and you got two aliens and a indian looking chick. It's pretty easy to differentiate them for me.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Earl View Post
    I love D'Anda's work--I think he comes from the classic train of thought of adapting the characters for a comic book rather than making them be exact likenesses. When some artists try to go that route, each panel tends to look like it's been traced from a photo and the layouts tend to be stiff, IMO.
    I agree with the idea that D'Anda "comes from the classic train of thought of adapting the characters for a comic book rather than making them be exact likenesses". And I like that too.

But I don't think (or don't saw how) "each (D'Anda's) panel tends to look like it's been traced from a photo". I LOVE the space panels, with star ships an do on, and how he draws Vador. But D'Anda is not always very good when he draws faces (for example, the chins are often strange : they seem to be too long), and the bodies don't look always very "natural". Of course, it's just my point of view.
    Avengers, New Av., Mighty Av., Secret Av., Uncanny Av., Young Av., Inhumanity, Thor God of Thunder, Wolverine.

Absolutely adoring this series. This is the Star Wars I fell in love with. This is how it's supposed to be.

Top Gun IN SPACE!

BANNED

Luke is never going to jump on couches or release creepy videos.

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

I dunno. I'm finding this pretty boring over all. Amazingly, I keep thinking back to when Marvel first brought out their version-- really enjoyed that, to the extent that I might be (as I might have been) the sole enjoyer of the rabbit renegade in one of the earlier issues. This... well, I don't think I've outgrown SW, but after four issues, I'm still not much engaged here, alas.
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

I'm definitely enjoying the series thus far, but the part with Han seemed to end rather abruptly. I do want to see more of Prithi and Birra Seah. I just wish Dark Horse hadn't cheaped out with their digital version.
    My blog where I mostly do comic reviews

Vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Michel View Post
    I agree with the idea that D'Anda "comes from the classic train of thought of adapting the characters for a comic book rather than making them be exact likenesses". And I like that too.

But I don't think (or don't saw how) "each (D'Anda's) panel tends to look like it's been traced from a photo".
    I don't see that with D'Anda either. I was actually referring to other artists in the past who took photo references to an extreme in their effort to have exact likenesses of characters.
    Last edited by C. Earl; 04-19-2013 at 05:37 PM.
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Earl View Post
    I don't see that with D'Anda either. I was actually referring to other artists in the past who took photo references to an extreme in their effort to have exact likenesses of characters.
    Ok, sorry ! I misunderstood ! And I agree with you. The comics artist must interpret the characters, give them a style, a soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Michel View Post

But I don't think (or don't saw how) "each (D'Anda's) panel tends to look like it's been traced from a photo". I LOVE the space panels, with star ships an do on, and how he draws Vador. But D'Anda is not always very good when he draws faces (for example, the chins are often strange : they seem to be too long), and the bodies don't look always very "natural". Of course, it's just my point of view.
    I agree with this, I am aware that no artist will draw every single thing the way I prefer it to look; yet reasonably accurate human figures are so important for my enjoyment of a comic that these kinds of things sometimes put me off. It's basically why I dislike Bachalo and similar artist's work even if lots of people gush over it for reasons I will never understand.

But this is nit-picking really, D Anda draws the hell out of a space/ships panel and the weird figures are just details like the chins... Its honestly not a big deal and my enjoyment of the series comes from the great scripting.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor