Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

*duplicate post*

Quote Originally Posted by Deviancy View Post
    TMNT, Superman, Batman, Spider-man, X-Men, The Walking Dead, Iron Man, Avengers, these are all mainstream franchises.

Saga, Thief of Thieves, Morning Glories, Chew, these are all "mainstream" within the comic book community but outside of comic book fans, good luck finding someone who has ever heard of them. I heard Chew may become a show and if that happens, it may become mainstream outside of the small comic book community. Thief of Thieves was supposedly going to become a show but I heard AMC ran it by a test audience and no one seemed enthusiastic about it so they shit canned it. But that's just a rumor I heard from someone I know over at Fox.
    But you can do the same test with NYT Bestselling authors, and you'll find they'll know Rowling, Meyer, Stephen King and a few others, but most people won't know, say, L.E. Modesitt, Jr., Robert Jordan, David Weber and a whole bunch of other NYT bestsellers. So does that mean those books are 'less mainstream'? Not at all.

Properties like Superman, Batman, Spider-man - they're so aggressively marketed and have been for so long that it's nigh-on impossible not to know of them. They've been cultural staples for decades, and that likely won't change any time soon. Those characters are visible easily and perhaps daily even if you're not a comics fan. They're on clothing, books, merchandise, TV, etc., etc. You cannot genuinely get away from them for long.

Rowling, Meyer, and King are popular among the mainstream

Mainstream: The ideas, attitudes, or activities that are regarded as normal or conventional; the dominant trend in opinion, fashion, or the arts.

Mainstream: the larger public, the masses, the big crowd. Things that are or become 'mainstream' are the things that currently sell the most and gain the most popularity.

So explain to me again how Saga is popular among the larger public, the masses, the big crowd.

Despite digital sales, there aren't any mainstream comics at the moment, there's mainstream characters in comics but the comics themselves don't sell to a large enough crowd to be considered mainstream. Batman selling 150 thousand copies a month for example, which puts it at #3 or #4 isn't enough to be considered mainstream. I mean this doesn't come down to opinion vs. opinion, mainstream is all about numbers and if the majority are into something it is considered mainstream.

For the best really, more often than not the things that go mainstream get neutered prior to becoming mainstream accessible. There are quite a few exceptions but not enough to compensate for how many artists over the years have lopped off their balls in order to become mainstream.

Considering it's doing 40-50k sales an issue at least, I would argue that - in terms of comics - it is in the mainstream. And that's not factoring in digital sales, because we don't really ever get any figures for that.

It's not mainstream in the grand scheme of the world, no, but very little is. Those that are either have a lucky break or have been in the public consciousness for a long time (King's been writing, what, 30 years now? And he's had numerous movie/TV adaptations, etc.) As I said, Superman and other highly-visible properties have had many, many years to build up that reputation, and it often comes with huge pushes in merchandise and even the comic itself. They almost literally bash you over the head with them, and that's why they're so well known - because they've got this constant presence that can rarely be avoided.

The amount Saga is selling, the ubiquitous presence of it on comics news sites and discussion boards, etc.? That, to me, is a sign it's a mainstream comic. It might not be doing the 100k sales a very few comics manage, but it is still doing - by far - more sales than the vast majority of titles. There are more than 200 comics released *a week* via major distributors like Diamond, ComiXology, etc., so for Saga to come out in the top 50 comics over a one month period (and typically have a few other issues in the same table), shows that it really is a popular title.

It's about as mainstream as a comic can get. Even if that's mainstream as defined as being within the comics community, it still is a mainstream property.

Most comics and books et al, are mainstream. Not everything operating in the mainstream reaches mainstream popularity however.
    Those two aspects are two different sides of the coin.
    To mix them up in any argument can only result in a deviancy.

"Mainstream: The ideas, attitudes, or activities that are regarded as normal or conventional; the dominant trend in opinion, fashion, or the arts."

"Mainstream: the larger public, the masses, the big crowd. Things that are or become 'mainstream' are the things that currently sell the most and gain the most popularity"

Two aspects - don't mix them up. Like you can only be a true mainstream american if you eat at McDonalds and shop at Wal-Mart? Somehow, I don't think so.
    But what do I know? I may be totally out of my mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by cebe View Post
    Like you can only be a true mainstream american if you eat at McDonalds and shop at Wal-Mart? Somehow, I don't think so.
    But what do I know? I may be totally out of my mainstream.
    Don't be silly. Obama already defined what a mainstream American is, they're the ones who cling to their religion and their gun.

As for Saga, when it comes to the small world of comic book fans, it is as mainstream as a newer title gets these days, I can totally agree with that. And that goes back to why the poll results show that despite the "controversy", very few who weren't reading the book before are reading it now. I don't think the average comic book fan is a sucker for controversy. For example, when Marilyn Manson became controversial, every dorky teenager fell for it and started buying his albums. But how many adults fell for it and rushed out to buy his albums? And well, the majority of comic book fans these days are adults, not children or teenagers. I'm not implying adults never fall for controversy, it just seems it takes a different kind of controversy to get their attention, like a politician saying something negative about guns.

Quote Originally Posted by THALASTDRAGON View Post
    Not at all. I have little interest in the series. I read the first trade and thought it was overrated. I may give it another read down the line sometime, but when has yet to be determined. I still think a lot of people would have missed those images anyway.
    So far, I wouldn't bother delving back in if I were you. It's still more of the same, albeit with added storyline development & characterization.

I think the controversy is irrelevant. The images displayed on Prince Robot's monitor are not random. For example,

spoilers:
    While he was having some performance issues during sex with the princess, his monitor displayed a broken horn.

When he thought the Stalk was reaching for a weapon, his monitor displayed a baby rattler. Earlier in the issue, he learned that the princess was pregnant.
    end of spoilers

Those images in #12 likely have some yet to be revealed meaning.
    Last edited by KingofMadCows; 04-30-2013 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KingofMadCows View Post
    Those images in #12 likely have some yet to be revealed meaning.
    If 'yet to be revealed meaning' means Prince Robot is homosexual, then I agree. Seems pretty obvious.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

Quote Originally Posted by wiski View Post
    If 'yet to be revealed meaning' means Prince Robot is homosexual, then I agree. Seems pretty obvious.
    Not necessarily. It could also suggest that he's homophobic. Since those images were being displayed after he was injured, that implies he associates homosexuality with death.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KingofMadCows View Post
    Not necessarily. It could also suggest that he's homophobic. Since those images were being displayed after he was injured, that implies he associates homosexuality with death.
    I assumed the images were of him having thoughts of his repressed self. There's people who go through a near death experience and come out deciding hiding something deep within themselves is no longer worth it since life is short. The image of the broken horn can represent his inability to get it up and perform due to possibly being a repressed homosexual.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

I was already reading, but I do respect a book including sexuality and nudity. Maybe US comics will have a range similar to films or cable TV some day (or manga), where the nipple isn't so feared for example.
    DROKK IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    I was already reading, but I do respect a book including sexuality and nudity. Maybe US comics will have a range similar to films or cable TV some day (or manga), where the nipple isn't so feared for example.
    currently it's one of the scariest images to us.
    Pull List: Saga, East of West, Aphrodite

Nah, I didn't care. In a way, I thought it was kind of funny, it seemed so random as hell. The thought hadn't occurred to me that it had meaning, I thought it was something that randomly popped into his head as he was hurt and shock (I remember when I got into a wreck a few years ago and got out of the truck, I was randomly thinking of my childhood dog that died years back. Weird what the mind will do when it's in shock), but I like the repressed homosexuality idea.