Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Azzarello

The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar

Default Brian Azzarello

A thread to discuss everything Azz. With Morrison leaving, he's DC's best writer by far. Even if I dislike something by him, it at least has good things. One of the most underrated writers working today.
    Desaad: Guess they found out [Mr. Mastermind] was Holmes?

ABH-1979: Really? I don't think so. I actually liked Holmes...

Morrison isn't leaving DC comics, he's just taking a break from monthly cape comics because he got abit burned out one way or another.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

Love Cage, Hard Times, 100 Bullets, and Wonder Woman. Even Spaceman and Broken City are killer books.

He is my favorite current writer, I was hoping for him to write Batman Earth One instead of Johns, it turned out alright but I can't help but think that it could have been a Year One killer (using video game talk) and his Hellblazer run was top notch, though many apparently hated it.

I need to reread 100 bullets, it's been years.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

One of my favorite writers, though I still haven't read all of his work.
    And yeah, he's pretty underrated. DC should put him on another book after Brother Lono.
    Last edited by Billy Batson; 04-14-2013 at 12:51 PM.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Morrison isn't leaving DC comics, he's just taking a break from monthly cape comics because he got abit burned out one way or another.
    To clarify, Azzarello is the best writer at DC doing monthly comics now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    He is my favorite current writer, I was hoping for him to write Batman Earth One instead of Johns, it turned out alright but I can't help but think that it could have been a Year One killer (using video game talk).
    Azzarello redoing Batman's origin wouldn't be fair to Snyder and Zero Year (Snyder can easily whoop Earth One in the ass with Johns writing it).

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    One of my favorite writers, though I still haven't read all of his work.
    And yeah, he's pretty underrated. DC should put him on another book after Brother Lono.
    I'd buy a Thomas Wayne ongoing in a heart beat (along with Risso). I don't think anyone would mind Hurwitz being kicked off TDK for Azzarello.

My current dream for Azzarello to work on is the Question with Bermejo (even though that Rorschach mini wasn't very good).

I can' wait for Wonder Woman fans to attack him.
    Last edited by Mr. Mastermind; 04-14-2013 at 01:03 PM.

I'd want something new from him. The Question would be cool but Bermejo doesn't really monthlies. And meh, I don't think Azz really tried with Rorschach.
    Like WW fans go to the Vertigo board.
    I kid, I kid.
    Maybe.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    I'd want something new from him. The Question would be cool but Bermejo doesn't really monthlies. And meh, I don't think Azz really tried with Rorschach.
    The Question Earth One?
    Though Azzarello isn't very phylosophical or zen like. It could still be cool to have my favorite writer with my favorite character but The Question is a man in a philosophical journey and O'neils run was what it was because he was going in that journey with Charlie.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Hehe, only Azzarello can get away with this.

Azzarello's writing is pretty trashy. 100 Bullets is so incredibly contrived that I can't believe anyone takes it seriously, and Loveless is a lame attempt to copy Deadwood.

Even previews of Azzarello's stories remind me of how gifted he is at producing trash. The example in the previous post is a solid example. Let's do some unfunny handwringing over the fact that Wonder Woman is a tough woman. Nevermind that she would never rip off the guy's balls. It's just dull fucking writing when you get down to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Azzarello's writing is pretty trashy. 100 Bullets is so incredibly contrived that I can't believe anyone takes it seriously, and Loveless is a lame attempt to copy Deadwood.

Even previews of Azzarello's stories remind me of how gifted he is at producing trash. The example in the previous post is a solid example. Let's do some unfunny hand-wringing over the fact that Wonder Woman is a tough woman. Nevermind that she would never rip off the guy's balls. It's just dull fucking writing when you get down to it.
    Disagree vehemently on 100 Bullets and Loveless.

100 Bullets isn't about the gun or the bullets and Loveless isn't anything like Deadwood
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

I didn't emphasize "gun" or "bullets" in my post.

And Loveless' dialogue is obviously Deadwood-lite.

Ek Vitki Runoz Writu CaptMagellan's Avatar

Wow. I can't disagree more.

Western dialogue notwithstanding, there was no plot or thematic elements common between Deadwood and Loveless... and 100 Bullets, outside of the 'elevator pitch' initial concept was very nuanced with layers upon layers of social commentary, themes, etc.
    "The Way to see by Faith, is to shut the Eye of Reason" - Benjamin Franklin

"Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery." - R.G. Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMagellan View Post
    Western dialogue notwithstanding
    From my standpoint, neither Deadwood nor Loveless has what we would call "western dialogue" in the traditional or even realistic sense. Deadwood was fairly revolutionary in its usage of anachronistic profanity to reveal not only nuances in characters but nuances in classes of people. In contrast, the anachronistic profanity in Loveless just comes across as dirty - simply an adolescent trick. It's not hyperbole to call both Deadwood and Loveless "talkers"; the former simply blows away the latter as far as intelligence and dignity are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMagellan View Post
    and 100 Bullets, outside of the 'elevator pitch' initial concept was very nuanced with layers upon layers of social commentary, themes, etc.
    Again, where did I say that 100 Bullets was only about guns and bullets? I said it was "contrived," which doesn't dismiss the comic book's attempts to be "culturally relevant."

conˇtrived
    /kənˈtrīvd/
    Adjective

Deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.
    Giving a sense of artificiality.

I can see what you mean, with the set-ups of the different revenge motivated plots, but i don't see that as a bad thing. The character actions and dialogue, felt fine for the most part, but yes Azz does have his little play-with-words-moments
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo