Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Invincible Universe, #1

Phil Hester and Todd Nauck begin to add some breadth and depth to the multitude of ancillary characters that share space with Invincible in "Invincible Universe" #1.

Full review here.

Confession time, I am a much bigger Invincible Fan than Walking Dead. This title is really the first step in world building to build up readership for this excellent title. I urge you all to buy it and the previous Guarding the Globe for excellent stories within the Invincible Universe of characters.

Im thinking of picking this up.
    Im still trying to catch up on Invincible in trades but was planning on jumping on the floppies at #105.

I liked Hesters run on The Darkness so i may have to see whats what here.

Hester and Nauck are stupendous talents and their work on GtG and this is note perfect.

Part of me wants to see appearances by Firebreather and/or Wildguard though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Hester and Nauck are stupendous talents and their work on GtG and this is note perfect.

Part of me wants to see appearances by Firebreather and/or Wildguard though.
    I would LOVE for WIldGuard to make an appearance

Yup solid first issue.

Talk about being cursed with constant title name changes though - from "Guardians of The Globe" to "Guarding the Globe" to "Invincible Universe" and now they're changing the name again for issue #2 to "Globally Guarding the Invincible Universe". Whew.

Whatever it's called, it's still pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by burg View Post
    Talk about being cursed with constant title name changes though - from "Guardians of The Globe" to "Guarding the Globe" to "Invincible Universe" and now they're changing the name again for issue #2 to "Globally Guarding the Invincible Universe". Whew.
    I think that was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    I think that was a joke.
    haha I hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by madrox83 View Post
    Confession time, I am a much bigger Invincible Fan than Walking Dead. This title is really the first step in world building to build up readership for this excellent title. I urge you all to buy it and the previous Guarding the Globe for excellent stories within the Invincible Universe of characters.
    No need for a confession, I feel surprised when people say they like The Walking Dead more than Invincible comics. (assuming they've read both)

Still loving the series myself, as I get to see more of the characters I like more than Mark.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

Sorry if this sounds silly but have any of you felt that Invincible is a better Superman comic than the actual Superman comic? Having seen DC's own modernization of Superman I thought Invincible did it better when it comes to modernizing a Superman type of hero
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Sorry if this sounds silly but have any of you felt that Invincible is a better Superman comic than the actual Superman comic? Having seen DC's own modernization of Superman I thought Invincible did it better when it comes to modernizing a Superman type of hero
    Invincible is a better superhero comic than any superhero comic. That said, I don't really view him as a Superman type character (despite having similar powers). Superman is supposed to be an ideal, a perfect hero to strive for. Invincible is very much a coming of age story of a teenager who makes mistakes as he grows up and learns how to make the proper decisions in using his powers. He's never been presented as an ideal that people should strive to be. Just a really powerful kid learning to make his way in life.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    Invincible is a better superhero comic than any superhero comic. That said, I don't really view him as a Superman type character (despite having similar powers). Superman is supposed to be an ideal, a perfect hero to strive for. Invincible is very much a coming of age story of a teenager who makes mistakes as he grows up and learns how to make the proper decisions in using his powers. He's never been presented as an ideal that people should strive to be. Just a really powerful kid learning to make his way in life.
    True. Having seen DC's attempts in making Superman more "Grounded" I feel that Invincible did a better job of that. Eventhough he's not exactly The Superman type of character. Also I do enjoy the comic more than the mainstream stuff for a few reasons

1. The comic doesn't take the status quo route. The world continues to change. It doesn't take the cop out reboot approach.
    2. Deaths mean something. It really annoys me how mainstream comics treat their comic book deaths as nothing but cheap shock value now.
    3. Flawed yet likable characters. I don't really care for how mainstream comics would make a character flawed but turn them into a jerk in the process. Mark and the rest of the characters are people who make mistakes but they don't become assholes 24/7. Even The Immortal has a decent side.
    4. Epic fights. Nuff said
    5. No superhero civil war garbage. Yes in Invincible you have Mark and Cecil get into a disagreement. Sometimes a heated one but they will both be willing to work together, even if it is begrudgingly. They'd actually bother to stow their crap towards eachother to get the job done.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    Similar powers? Other than super fast flight and super strength they arent similar at all... That would mean Bulletproof has similar powers to Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Quest Mar-Vell View Post
    Similar powers? Other than super fast flight and super strength they arent similar at all... That would mean Bulletproof has similar powers to Superman.
    Well he doesn't have Supes wider array of powers but the flight, super speed, and super strength are the 3 major ones I think people think of when they think of Superman.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home