Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Simone & DC Bring Transgender Character To "Batgirl"

In a first for capes and tights comics, Barbara Gordon's roommate announces that she's a transgendered woman in the pages of this week's "Batgirl" as Gail Simone explains why the move is long in the making.

Full article here.

OK, I'm all for this and diversity. But were there at least any clues in the series as to this development?

I would have a lot more respect for this decision if it wasn't advertised like this.
    Junk head. Amazing stop-motion animation. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/junk-head-2--2

Scott Summers IS NOT a delusional egotist.

1. PLEASE change the title!! I have yet to read the issue and it isn't the biggest spoiler, but I rather find it out in reading the issue.

2. This is great news for the entire market. I'm glad someone finally brought this into a market that needs more minority characters.

3. And while I enjoy minority characters. I will RAGE is Babs becomes a lesbian. That's just so out of character for her, especially since I love her and Dick as a couple. I could understand bi more, but not lesbian.
    Last edited by RKitch; 04-10-2013 at 09:11 AM.
    "Bruce, you have the creepiest smile!"

Quote Originally Posted by darima80 View Post
    OK, I'm all for this and diversity. But were there at least any clues in the series as to this development?
    Friend of mine called it by issue 2.
    I like comic books.

that would probably explain why simone didn't want her stuffed in the fridge.

It kind of matters, but not as much. I mean it's great to get a transgendered character in there, but it just doesn't feel as important as DC is trying to make it with this announcement.

Now if DC was publishing an ongoing where the lead character or one of the lead's in a team book was transgendered that would be a bigger deal.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

This reeks of Simone pandering to her fanbase, and as much as I respect the efforts to promote different lifestyles and the like in comics, this has had ZERO foreshadowing. I know Alyssa would naturally do her best to hide such things because she would want to be perceived as a woman, but I just think there should have been some manner of hint or a bit of foreshadowing about this. Instead it just feels like Simone is trying to score brownie points in the laziest way possible, just like she did with Scandal wanting to marry two women with no real input or intent of showing how either woman would react - it was just pointless fanservice.

Perhaps it was done this way so that readers would get to know and like the character first without making any assumptions about her. A very long term plan, it does make you wonder what seemingly insignificant things will become important a year or more down the road and how things would have turned out if Gail Simone's departure had been permanent.

Alysia did make a few comments about having some kind of secret during her earlier appearances. On their own merits, there wasn't anything to suggest she was transexual, but I guess that's the point. I don't think it'll come as a surprise to anyone that ever reads Gail's tumblr acccount. She's made numerous references on there for some time about introducing a transgender character, and the clues were there that it would turn out to be Alysia.

Regarding Gail's comment that "If someone loved her before, and doesn’t love her after, well — that’s a shame, but we can’t let that kind of thinking keep comics in the 1950s forever,” I completely agree. Speaking for meself, I thought Alysia was a bland and thoroughly uninteresting character before this reveal. And I feel exactly the same about her now. So job done, I guess.

"The Tardis, when working properly, is capable of many amazing things. Not unlike myself."

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    Now if DC was publishing an ongoing where the lead character or one of the lead's in a team book was transgendered that would be a bigger deal.
    Shining Knight in Demon Knights has been transsexual from the start. Sir Ystin identifies as male. Despite mutual attraction he rejected the advances of the amazon Exoristos because she was attracted to him as a lesbian.
    I like comic books.

At least it isn't Stargirl....I hope.

Yeah don't care about these minorities in comics to be honest because I don't relate to comics in that way. Good for Batgirl I think? I don't really know what to make of it actually.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    In a first for capes and tights comics, Barbara Gordon's roommate announces that she's a transgendered woman in the pages of this week's "Batgirl" as Gail Simone explains why the move is long in the making.

Full article here.
    Not actually a first, but possibly the first that won't be a) played just for laughs or b) written by Peter Milligan. (Or, Shining Knight. So... not the first at all, really.)

The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar

Works as both a good move forward in comics and as a blatant PR stunt. I think the latter is because of DC though.
    Desaad: Guess they found out [Mr. Mastermind] was Holmes?

ABH-1979: Really? I don't think so. I actually liked Holmes...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    Works as both a good move forward in comics and as a blatant PR stunt. I think the latter is because of DC though.
    Claiming it's a first seems like PR, to me.

Doing it seems like something Simone just wanted to do with a character. DC, as a whole, as a corporation, is usually fairly chicken about such things.