Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Avengers Arena #7 *Spoilers*

So...

spoilers:
    In this issue as promised we get to know how Arcade was able to turn himself into a real supervillain.
    We see how he was a complete loser obsessed with birthdays, rigged games and cheating and how little he was respected by the supervillain community he so much wanted to belong to. At his lowest, when he realizes what a loser he really is, Arcade gets the strength to rise up thanks to constrictor (who might be dead after his assault on Arcade... I'm sure some people will be enraged by this, although his death isn't confirmed as he's "just dying" the last we see him on panel)

We also see how he really DIDN'T turn himself into a supervillain, and how the mastermind who created the new arcade was really his assistant, miss Coriander: she created Arcade's "island" (in Antartica), made it completely untraceable and more importantly made it so INSIDE THE CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT OF THE NEW MURDER WORLD, Arcade is a sort of god, due to a mix of technological (and I guess magical) machines all connected to him.

The issue ends with a final twist, and we see that, all in all, Arcade might still be a loser after all, and one has to wonder if there's not something more about Miss Coriander than we are seeing...

The issue is not as good as the previous ones, Arcade's reasons seem a tad too pathetic (although he really IS pathetic, so...) and the way he turns from complete disperation to action seems too casual, yet we get some answers that make sense, Miss Coriander is certainly an intriguing new character and we also get a definitive answer about the inspiration for this new Murder World.
    All in all I'd give this issue 3 out of 5
    end of spoilers

What, no Avengers Academy brats bit it this issue? Pass.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Top Ten Magic Bitches

Was it Constrictor "Frank" (finger whips) or the new Constrictor (wrist whips)?

Also, it's confirmed that it's not a virtual reality? Those who are dead are really dead?
    Me: Please Marvel, give some spotlight to your 21th century creations instead of killing them every month.
    Marvel: Avengers Arena, lol!
    Classy as always, Marvel.

Funny.....somehow, I've suspected that most of the readers {myself included} would've been positive that spoilers:
    it's Mojo who's responsible for making Arcade (and Murder World/Island); not this "Miss Coriander"
    end of spoilers.

Actually, the "Finger whips" Constrictor is originally the "wrist whips" Constrictor.....And basically the "AVENGERS {INITIATIVE} DISASSEMBLED/DARK REIGN" Issues from the AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE Series revealed how things changes for the Constrictor.

Yes, but since Initative is over, there is a Constrictor with wrist whips that pops up here and there. And he doesn't act like Frank, who should have finger whips anyway.
    So I'm guessing there is a new or fake Constrictor who is using Frank's old wrist whips.

But of course that's just me trying to convince myself that writers are not hacks who can't bother themselves to give a crap about how Gage and Slott wrote Constrictor in ATI.
    Me: Please Marvel, give some spotlight to your 21th century creations instead of killing them every month.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Was it Constrictor "Frank" (finger whips) or the new Constrictor (wrist whips)?

Also, it's confirmed that it's not a virtual reality? Those who are dead are really dead?
    About constrictor: I'm not sure, I'd say he's Frank Payne, but I didn't know there was another constrictor at large, his whips are connected to the wists though.

As for Murder World, it's a bit of everything it seems, Ms Coriander lists "Hard Light Projectors, Force Fields, Nanites Rich Oxygen" and adds that it all "runs through" Arcade.

About Mojo: possible, but at the moment that's not hinted, it's only speculation. It certainly would suit Mojo's modus operandi and general behaviour.
    Last edited by Haquim; 04-10-2013 at 09:22 AM.

BANNED

forget constrictor. we learn in this issue that the murder island deaths are (unfortunately) real, and not some VR simulation.

Ms. Coriander is amazing. I am in love.

I can't do my usual full review, as I'm on the road, but I loved this issue. It gives us an insight into the 'why' and 'how' of the series, and a hint of what might come.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    About Mojo: possible, but at the moment that's not hinted, it's only speculation. It certainly would suit Mojo's modus operandi and general behaviour.
    Killing less popular heroes for the pleasure of his brainless viewers is totally something Mojo would do.

Ok, so for Constrictor I'll stand to my "it's not Frank" stance. Thank you.
    But damn, I hoped there would be a clear and definitive answer for the virtual reality or not thing, so I could just have moved on for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    As for Murder World, it's a bit of everything it seems, Ms Coriander lists "Hard Light Projectors, Force Fields, Nanites Rich Oxygen" and adds that is all "runs through" Arcade.
    It basically sounds like a Danger Room on steroids, without any of those pesky safety overrides

So yes there's some illusions and holograms, but it still real enough to be dangerous and the deaths seem permanent.
    Last edited by Peter F.; 04-10-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Killing less popular heroes for the pleasure of his brainless viewers is totally something Mojo would do.

Ok, so for Constrictor I'll stand to my "it's not Frank" stance. Thank you.
    But damn, I hoped there would be a clear and definitive answer for the virtual reality or not thing, so I could just have moved on for good.
    There was. Its real. Dead is dead.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

BANNED

feel free to move on unless you're sticking around for the bloodbath.

What I liked about this issue is that in the end Arcade didn't cheat. He manned up, got some help and became effective. He and Ms Coriander essentially built a Danger Room that's controlled through his suit, and we all know how dangerous a simulation can be in the wrong hands. Although it's not perfect, I think Marvel's done a decent job of polishing their old villains and making new ones.

Also, Ms Coriander could definitely become a problem if she ever stepped away from Arcade and set out on her own.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

a brand new character elevates arcade out of nowhere? well i suppose we need more female supergeniuses, any idea why she cares?
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February