Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Read it today. This book is getting a bit hokey and forced. Batman and Red Robin was much better this week. Highlight below for story points.

This book was hokey. Clayface is robbing a bank as Bruce Wayne, who's in a standoff with Gordon, who's pleading with Bruce to not do it because they were FRIENDS since "Zero Year". Yes, Zero Year is suddenly a well-known event that's on everyone's lips in this issue. Just BAD exposition from out of nowhere. Bruce-Clayface gets on a motorcycle, shoots Gordon with a shotgun, then runs over him with the bike in a hilariously stupid scene.

Then we cut to Bruce watching cowl-cam videos of Damian six days prior. A board member at Wayne's killed himself, so Bruce is looking into it and discovers that he's either still alive or is Clayface. Then we get treated to three pages of crammed-in monologue about shape-shifters throughout other cultures as Snyder further becomes a parody of himself. Just awful. Scott can use wikipedia and you're gonna know it.

It ends with Lucius Fox meeting Wayne about creating a new batsuit, and Fox attacks Bruce, revealing that he's Clayface and that he has evolved the ability to also change his DNA, making him harder to trace. He now announces that he will use Bruce's identity to track down Batman, even though Bruce just told him he's Batman when he thought he was Lucius Fox.

The back-up was cooler with Superman and Batman teaming up to confront a demon summoned by some satanic teenagers.

Still gonna buy it but that doesn't sound great.
    Too broke for a pull list.

Sounds so bad, can't wait for people to defend it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post

The back-up was cooler with Superman and Batman teaming up to confront a demon summoned by some satanic teenagers.
    I dropped this book but I'd buy this issue just for this. This sounds awesome!

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default BATMAN #19 Preview/Discussion

Who would cause Bruce Wayne to use a gun?

Full preview here.

Awesome, Capullo is a beast, my goodness!

actual sequential storytelling!
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

BANNED

Reaper AWESOME wish he had a bigger story :/

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    Awesome, Capullo is a beast, my goodness!

actual sequential storytelling!
    am i the only one who CANT tell when its not sequential story telling, does that make me dumb or just mean that i can following any kind of story no problem, seems to be the case i cant recall the last time i ever lost track in a story :/

Quote Originally Posted by Movieartman View Post
    Reaper AWESOME wish he had a bigger story :/

am i the only one who CANT tell when its not sequential story telling, does that make me dumb or just mean that i can following any kind of story no problem, seems to be the case i cant recall the last time i ever lost track in a story :/
    Not at all, 4 wide panels a lot of times aren't sequential, they are just moments...but they get the job done. .what Cap does, he draws the next panel in the progression of the action, same with Burnham and Quitely.

A character walks to a door, next panel, he reaches for it, and next panel he walks through. Most artists won't draw all these panels

like on the first page,

Engage,
    Now.
    Stabilize

we get a panel, in sequence, as Bats jumps onto the truck, love it!!!!
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Good issue. It'll be nice seeing how we end up at the point where we are in the beginning of this issue.

I read the issue today. It definitely feels like a b:tas episode filtered through Scott Snyder on overwriting mode. I didn't hate some of things DrSimonHurt hated, like the clayface-as-bruce thing because it felt like something that could be in a hypothetical b:tas episode, but I do agree the Lucius Fox/identity thing was honestly pretty dumb. The backup with Superman was a pretty good read and worked out their dynamic pretty well. It's a 3-3.5/5

It's certainly not perfect, but its not the worst book on the stands like some would say. I feel Snyder has his obvious flaws that will always permeate his work but for the most part I enjoyed it, even if the exposition bogs it down.

Batman: Go on and kill me, Reaper. *Facepalms.*

I could understand that against a villain way out of his league, but some D list guy? Urgh. For a story that's supposed to be capturing the DCAU Batman, he's just nowhere near as bad ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy882 View Post
    Who would cause Bruce Wayne to use a gun?
    Darkseid.
    Last edited by Emissary of Justice; 04-10-2013 at 05:18 AM.

I enjoyed it well enough for what it was, the backup more than the main story. But I thought the main story was solid. There were a few bits that were maybe a little overwritten, but for the most part I'm good with that -- Snyder's delivering a lot there, and here it's almost always WELL written, even if it's not completely necessary.

Solid stuff.

But the backup was a lot more fun. Some nice stuff with Superman there, like not knowing the word of nausea.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I actually liked this a lot as it reminded me of the Batman: The Animated Series episodes. Lots of different balls going at once, and the Alex Maleev backup was choice reading.

I gave it a 9 out of 10. If you'd like to read my review, with preview pictures, click here.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

i actually really liked this.. as mentioned above, it did remind me of a BTAS episode.. i thought the "we're dead men walking" scene was great. sure i knew who it was from the beginning, but it was still a good page turner.

the backup was a good B/S dialogue, though the final page/reveal was lame. i thought maybe the girl in the corner was Death.
    taunt the baron, tempt the fury

This was actually pretty good, and I'm someone who hasn't cared for Snyder in a while. Running Gordon over with the motorcycle was about was about the only misstep for me, I mean that's something that if it didn't kill you outright would probably cripple you. Oh, and the zero year mention. That seemed like a needless bit of promotion.

As for the concern that Bruce revealed his identity to Clayface by telling Lucius to build a new Batsuit, well I just have to assume that commentator didn't read the page very clearly as Bruce states that Batman has been in touch with him and needed a new suit. As the head of the Batman Inc. project it wouldn't be out of the question for Bruce to make such a request on Batman's behalf with out tipping his hand that he was actually Batman.

The only possible identity glitch would be that when Clayface went on his spree as Bruce Wayne we say the Batsuit under his clothing, now that might make others question if Bruce is Batman but I don't think it necessarily means Clayface knows. When he copies someone is he aware of their clothing? It isn't clear.

The back up though? Perfect. I loved the banter between Bruce and Clark. It made me excited for the new Batman/Superman book.