View Poll Results: Best Archer in comics besides Hawkeye

Voters
33. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Original Shaft

1 3.03%
  • Connor Hawke

4 12.12%
  • Oliver Queen

18 54.55%
  • Roy Harper

3 9.09%
  • other

7 21.21%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    Schnapps? Really?
    Nowt wrong with schnapps, when its being used a chaser, of course.
    The Hod: Novelist, raconteur and celebrated sexual athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by NamorsTrident View Post
    Sorry but Hawkeye is the best! It was even implied as such in the JLA/Avengers crossover. When the whole league was standing together (with green arrow present) comindening hawkeye and someone stating that Hawkeye pulled off an impossible shot that no one else could achieve. Green Arrow even seemed a bit jealous by the whole thing since Hawkeye got the shot and his girl.
    Ok, not to throw something of a wrench (especially since 9 times out of 10 I'd choose a Marvel comic over a DC one), but Hawkeye is Kurt Busiek's favourite Avenger. He may even be Busiek's favourite hero. Guess who wrote JLA/Avengers?

I think Hawkeye is better overall than Green Arrow. I said I haven't really read any Green Arrow books because I didn't want to assume that Hawkeye is better without seeing what Green Arrow is capable of. But JLA/Avengers can't be counted as a comparison to who is better between Arrow and Hawkeye.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

You're Talkin' Gibberish! Kurt Busiek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Sleeper View Post
    Ok, not to throw something of a wrench (especially since 9 times out of 10 I'd choose a Marvel comic over a DC one), but Hawkeye is Kurt Busiek's favourite Avenger. He may even be Busiek's favourite hero. Guess who wrote JLA/Avengers?

I think Hawkeye is better overall than Green Arrow. I said I haven't really read any Green Arrow books because I didn't want to assume that Hawkeye is better without seeing what Green Arrow is capable of. But JLA/Avengers can't be counted as a comparison to who is better between Arrow and Hawkeye.
    I don't really care how you guys decide, but I'm amused by this standard.

If stories are disqualified because one of the creators actually likes a character, then you'll have to disqualify almost all stories, because we creators like lots of characters.

And you'll have to disqualify your own opinions, too, on the grounds that you like characters. Unless you only form opinions about characters you're indifferent to.

I think it's probably likely that any story anyone picks to show that one character is more skilled than another was written or drawn by people who weren't trying to be objective, just trying to write a story. It's the evidence on the page that should be judged, not the motives of the people who put it on the page. I mean, if Superman is really really strong because writers, artists and editors like Superman and thought it would be cool to show him being really really strong, and it'd make for good stories...

...does it matter? He's still really really strong.

But yeah, I'll freely admit that Hawkeye's my favorite superhero. And any shot Green Arrow can make, Hawkeye can make while hanging by his ankles and being swung through the air by a hunter-killer robot.

But I judge that based on what I've seen them both do, not on whether Denny O'Neil likes Ollie more than Roy Thomas likes Clint, or vice versa.

kdb
    Visit Busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    Please....bland character in a group of bland characters.
    So what? I couldn't give half a damn about Celestial Archer as a character, just as I couldn't give half a damn about Green Arrow or Hawkeye. Sterling Archer is a better character than any and all of these ridiculous little bow-and-arrow wielding superheroes.

All I'm saying is that when it comes to the particular skillset known as archery, Celestial Archer happens to be better than Green Arrow, Hawkeye, etc. Bland or not, he can hit the moon with his arrows.

And does he even exist anymore in the new 52?
    If not, that's a point in his favor in my book. As far as I'm concerned, not existing is the best thing an archer can do. Dying is perhaps the second best, so for awhile I'd have rated Hawkeye above Green Arrow, but then he ruined that by coming back to life (The best thing an archer can do while still continuing to appear in comics is stop doing archery and start doing any of the myriad things that are better than archery, but I'm not sure if any archers have actually done that).
    "doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results" is neither the actual definition of insanity nor an actual Albert Einstein/Ben Franklin/Mark Twain quote.

The Central Sca-rutinizer Pól Rua's Avatar

I'm gonna nominate former board stalwart Jim MacQ on the basis that he's not fictional, and therefore, is ACTUALLY an archer instead of a picture of one.
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com