Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Talon: What's your verdict?

Does Talon fit in the "Batman" forum, or should discussion on that book be reserved for the DC Forum?

If it's here, what are your thoughts on the book?

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Its a Bat book, so the place to talk about it is here. I think its an ok book. Nothing too spectacular, but good enough to keep me following.

It spun out of a story on Batman, takes place in Gotham, dealing with a Gotham-based organization, has had appearances of Batman and is classified as a Batman Family book. Of course it should be discussed here.

I wasn't going to read this series, but I gave it a chance, and it's probably been the most enjoyable of the Batbooks I've been reading the past few months.

I think this is actually the best thing to come out of Court of Owls arcs. Though I'm not sure how well they will keep this fear of the Court going. Don't think it can solely have that as its big picture.

Definitely a great original piece coming out of the New 52. Similar to Red Hood and The Outlaws, has a Batman feel to it without actually having that much, if any, interactions with the main Batman booka.

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infinityphoenix View Post
    Definitely a great original piece coming out of the New 52. Similar to Red Hood and The Outlaws, has a Batman feel to it without actually having that much, if any, interactions with the main Batman booka.
    I actually have liked the books in the Bat family a lot, though not a big Batman fan, because the Batman feel, I think, makes for great comics. Also, the setting is familiar and you will get the other characters popping in. But I think as you get past just the court being the evil empire that defines the plot now, you will get more interaction with the other characters. I hope he stays kind of an outsider and doesn't become just another member of another random team.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

I've really enjoyed it as well. I actually avoided Bat-titles for the most part when I started the New 52 -- though I was intrigued by Nightwing and Batwing. Talon came at a time when one of my other books (running trend for me) was cancelled, and it looked interesting. Thinking I should be more open to the Bat family.

I'm actually losing interest, I was really looking forward to this series and loved the Court of Owls storyline but it's starting to seem a bit thin on character interest and motive for me, if it doesn't wow me with the next few issues it's on my chopping block!

I thought the zero issue was really strong but within a few issues I dropped it. It wasn't bad it just felt aimless. I still have trouble with the whole idea of a super mysterious all powerful group of owl worshippers who have an army of zombie ninjas at their disposal. It seems like DC is trying really hard to make Talon work though. I'll be interested to hear how Bane works in it soon.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

I love the character. Easily one of the most enjoyable books coming out. I was a little worried when I heard about it spinning out of court of owls, but that quickly went away. The supporting cast is getting fleshed out and Talon's origin was really well done. I try and recommend it to other guys in my comic shop. Other Batbooks like Nightwing sell more and get more props, but this to me is by far a better book.
    Last edited by TonyStark1012; 04-08-2013 at 03:43 AM.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

The zero issue was good but after that i lost interest and cancled it.

I'm enjoying it so far, have all the issues apart from #0 and #2 in print but have read them digitally. Very enjoyable and one of my favourite of the New 52 so far, up there with Batman, Aquaman and others.

I've liked what I've read, but I'm a couple issues behind.

I think a book like Talon would work best as a finite series. You take, say, 24 issues to tell the story of Talon taking down the entire Court of Owls. Then have the series end.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

It was a bit of surprise--very enjoyable.

I hate it. This doesn't feel like a comic that was written because someone wants to write it, it feels like a comic that was written because someone was told to write it.