Default Best sites for pricing comics?

I've asked a similar question here before.. I was looking for a good site to quickly look up information on an issue and I found comicvine.com, mike's amazing world of comics, xowcomics, and mycomicshhop.com to be very useful tools. Now I have a different but similar question.

What is a good mobile site for checking a book's value? I've always liked comicspriceguide.com, but if im using my phone it doesn't sign in, so I can't look up any information. I just want a tool that'll tell me the current going rates for a specific issue so I know if the one I've come across in the store is priced appropriately or if I should try to get the price down.
    http://trallis.blogspot.com/
    A blog about high adventure and comic book collecting

Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    I've asked a similar question here before.. I was looking for a good site to quickly look up information on an issue and I found comicvine.com, mike's amazing world of comics, xowcomics, and mycomicshhop.com to be very useful tools. Now I have a different but similar question.

What is a good mobile site for checking a book's value? I've always liked comicspriceguide.com, but if im using my phone it doesn't sign in, so I can't look up any information. I just want a tool that'll tell me the current going rates for a specific issue so I know if the one I've come across in the store is priced appropriately or if I should try to get the price down.
    Price guides are normally useless except for insurance purposes.

Value all depends on condition, interest, scarcity, and TIMING. Just because a guide came up with a price who knows how long ago doesn't mean that's the real value. If a store only sees a copy of a book maybe once every ten years or so, how are you going to convince the owner that you can buy it cheaper elsewhere just because some guide tells you it's not worth that much? Besides, even if a store is offering it at what you think is an inflated price (because of somebody putting a price in a guide, but not actually offering it for sale), if somebody else comes in and pays the retailer's asking price, who's wrong and who's right?

Something like eBay is really more effective if you want to question a price . . . sales may be more recent, and you probably do better if you can say "I can buy it from here for $X right now" and be able to walk away from his copy and still get what you want.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I know price guides are inaccurate for all of those reaasons, but it's still a good tool to have when deciding on a purchase. If I saw a comic in great condition priced for half of it's guide value, i'd buy it

Price guide prices never reflect reality. Retail prices from places like Mycomicshop tend to reflect the retail pricetag, not the realized value when you want to sell your own copy. I go by eBay completed listings. I also tend to not buy comics from large retailers unless it's a cheap couple comics to fill a run. I'd never shop at one of those places for a high dollar comic, or to build a large run. I'd go to eBay for that and then just buy the issue or two I was missing from the online retailers. A comic priced at half it's guide value may still be five times more than it's typical selling price on eBay.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

I know price guides are inaccurate for all of those reaasons, but it's still a good tool to have when deciding on a purchase. If I saw a comic in great condition priced for half of it's guide value, i'd buy it
    But that value reason is only good if you're planning to turn it around and sell it yourself, as well as if you can find someone else willing to pay you the higher price you want.

What's the point of buying it at half the value of a price guide if you don't really want the book for yourself? And if you really just want the book for your own collection, screw the price guide . . . what are you comfortable paying to own it?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I was pulling/pricing stuff for a show and every once in a while I'd toss one to my son to check on eBay. Short answer is that just about anything since 1975 is available on ebay for 99 cents.

On a related note, does anyone know if (besides the back cover ad) there's any difference between the issues of Miracleman #1 listed "This edition for sale in North America" and "This edition for sale outside of North America"? I was surprised to see I had both.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Yes guys, I know the prices listed on any site are unreliable and I don't go by them. What they do is tell me if a comic is valuable at all. Sometimes I'll see a 1965 comic and think it's somewhat valuable, and then check the guide prices and see that even a mint copy has never gone for more than $5.00. The guides may give inaccurate prices that can be considered speculation at best, ut I still find them useful.. so please only answer if you have an answer. I'm not the guy who walks into the comic shop demanding $1,000 for his death of Gwen Stacy because of the price he saw online for the condition he thinks he has. Recent sales are only one of the many things I consider when figuring out what a comic is worth, and my #1 method is to add like 5 auctions to my watch list and see how they end. If I'm seeing an issue in a shop that I've never looked up before, it'd be nice to ave a fast site that'll give me that info

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Yes guys, I know the prices listed on any site are unreliable and I don't go by them. What they do is tell me if a comic is valuable at all. Sometimes I'll see a 1965 comic and think it's somewhat valuable, and then check the guide prices and see that even a mint copy has never gone for more than $5.00. The guides may give inaccurate prices that can be considered speculation at best, ut I still find them useful.. so please only answer if you have an answer. I'm not the guy who walks into the comic shop demanding $1,000 for his death of Gwen Stacy because of the price he saw online for the condition he thinks he has. Recent sales are only one of the many things I consider when figuring out what a comic is worth, and my #1 method is to add like 5 auctions to my watch list and see how they end. If I'm seeing an issue in a shop that I've never looked up before, it'd be nice to ave a fast site that'll give me that info
    There isn't really a single site to cover this...I refer to 1. comicspriceguide.com; 2. Mile High Comics; 3. eBay's completed listings, for books that I can't readily estimate a value. The ones I can estimate are usually those I've been following up on for the last 10 years or so.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

My perspective is completely from a purchasing and deciding what I want to pay standpoint.

I also check eBay completed listings. A rough average of those gives me a good idea of what the practical price I can get something for is, although of course I always try to get it for less. Like MDG said, if it's bronze age or newer and doesn't feature the first appearance of a key character or isn't some low-print run indie or underground, I generally find you can get it for a couple of bucks or less SOMEWHERE if you look around enough. Even if you can't find it for what you want online, if you wait for the next local con there's probably someone there selling for a firesale price.

I see some people have suggested Mile High. I don't know about that. Seems Mile High's practice is to overprice stuff and then compensate with sales.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 04-07-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Yeah, I avoid them pretty much at all costs. On a very rare occasion they accidentally price something reasonably, like Fangraphix magazines. For pretty much everything else I'd say they've listed their comics at about ten times going rate or more. Even when they have a 60% off codeword I won't bother
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Some of the recent variants are selling for less on Mile High than eBay.

Believe it or not.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I use ebay's completed listings, Comic Collector Live and mycomicshop. Ebay's completed listings are fairly accurate. I won a full run of Heavy Metal from the first issue to the mid 1990s with the price at $5 more than what I offered at the start based on results of several similar auctions.