Default Best Spider-Man Event?

What is, in your opinion, the best Spider-Man event (Spider-Island, Maximum Carnage, etc)?
    Facebook page dedicated to short films! - https://www.facebook.com/shortstuffmovies

My top three are so close that they could all be number one.

1. The Child Within/Osborn Legacy
    2. The Hobgoblin Saga
    3. The Black Costume Saga
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

Ends Of The Earth

and Spider-Island

Black Costume Saga
    Spider Island
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

Spider Powered Time Lord Spider-Mike's Avatar

I need to catch up on Spidey from... Well, Spider-Island (which gets my vote)

So;

Spider-Island or Marvel Knights: Spider-Man (does that count as an event or a run?)
    SPIDER-MAN: Hey there, my name's Spider-Man, and this is my trusty sidekick Wolverine!
    WOLVERINE: *Growls*
    (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes)

It depends on what constitutes an event.

I'd consider Stern's Hobgoblin saga, or Dematteis's Harry Osborn saga to be mega-arcs. But if they were eligible, it would certainly be one of those two.

Kraven's Last Hunt was a crossover, although it didn't have any tie-ins, so that's probably not an event. It hadn't even been the longest Spider-Man story to date, as Mantlo's Doctor Octopus saga lasted eight issues.

The wedding might be considered an event, given the promotions and tie-ins. Although I didn't think it was all that good.

Right now, I'm inclined to go with Spider Island. The main story was great, and there was a lot of set-up and tie-ins.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It depends on what constitutes an event.

I'd consider Stern's Hobgoblin saga, or Dematteis's Harry Osborn saga to be mega-arcs. But if they were eligible, it would certainly be one of those two.

Kraven's Last Hunt was a crossover, although it didn't have any tie-ins, so that's probably not an event. It hadn't even been the longest Spider-Man story to date, as Mantlo's Doctor Octopus saga lasted eight issues.

The wedding might be considered an event, given the promotions and tie-ins. Although I didn't think it was all that good.

Right now, I'm inclined to go with Spider Island. The main story was great, and there was a lot of set-up and tie-ins.
    Yeah, I think the term "event" is fairly new as it applies to comics. Civil War might be the first story I actually heard called an event. I can't think of a good way to define it, and it might be kind of arbitrary. I would call Maximum Carnage an event, even though there's not much of a difference (structure-wise) between that and Kraven's Last Hunt. I agree that the wedding might be considered an event. I guess Secret Wars would be an event, and although it's not the greatest story out there, it was fun and provided Spidey with the black costume.

Interestingly, I seem to recall the term "summer event" being used to describe the bi-weekly stories that came out in the 90s. (Assassination Plot, Round Robin, and Invasion of the Spider-Slayers) But I don't think any of them Were good enough to be listed as the best. Acts of Vengeance might deserve a nod, although I wouldn't call that a Spider-Man event.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

Junior Member TheSensationalSean's Avatar

If we're talking modern events with tie-in issues and such, Spider-Island. It was fun and original, with long-term implications and consequences like Jackal's comeback, Kaine's healing, Anti-Venom's "death" and Carlie figuring out Peter's secret. I also loved the little things, like MJ whispering "I love you" at the end. Think I'll be re-reading it soon!

Clone saga. It busted open the concept that Peter Parker was unique. It showed how manipulative his villains gallery are capable of being. It showed how far the Osborns and Jackels would devise a machinery of secrecy to carry out such a sting on a character.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Can The Gauntlet be an event? If so, I go with that.
    Favorite Titles: Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor:God of Thunder, Batman, Superman Unchained, Green Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by TheSensationalSean View Post
    If we're talking modern events with tie-in issues and such, Spider-Island. It was fun and original, with long-term implications and consequences like Jackal's comeback, Kaine's healing, Anti-Venom's "death" and Carlie figuring out Peter's secret. I also loved the little things, like MJ whispering "I love you" at the end. Think I'll be re-reading it soon!
    I think we all knew Mary Jane Watson loved Peter, but, are they destined to be lovers again, even though they got as close as walking down the aisle, and stumbling? Does absence make the heart grow fonder, to such an extent that they will attempt it again? Will the Peter Parker relationships built over 50 years story telling, build so much pressure that these support characters will demand the return of Peter Parker, just because Peter is too amazing? You see a person dies in a community and he has so much bearing on the tone of the community that it can't survive when that persons gone. Will all Peters support characters disappear while Otto is Spider-Man?
    Last edited by jackolover; 04-08-2013 at 06:47 AM.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

For me it was the clone saga. While it was very long. It gave some great stories and gave us some great charecters while returning a couple badguys from the dead. If not for the clone saga we wouldnt have Norman Osbourne doing all the things he's been doing sense. Not to mention Kaine. However, it goes without saying that Ben is and was my favorite part of that saga. And though its unlikely, I hold hope he will return one day.