View Poll Results: Best Event?

Voters
55. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Maximum Security

2 3.64%
  • Secret War

1 1.82%
  • Civil War

16 29.09%
  • Secret Invasion

5 9.09%
  • Siege

12 21.82%
  • Avengers vs. X-Men

5 9.09%
  • Other

14 25.45%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    It's weird how no one seems to remember Neil Gaiman's 1602 whose sales I believe match those of mega-crossovers today.
    I don't remember 1602 being a crossover event... just a (fairly mediocre, by Gaiman standards) mini-series.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBodyAtCBR View Post
    How can it not be Civil War? That proudly sits in my bookshelf next to Watchmen as superhero pieces that are comparable to "real" writing. The rest are just "WHAM, BAM, BOOM" super hero comics that you'd expect from comic books. Civil War is the only one I can think of that proves that storytelling in a superhero setting can be about engaging, intellectual and relevant topics.

Sadly, Millar hasn't done anything nearly as good since then except the original Kick-Ass.
    I did not like Civil War, at all. I hate seeing heroes fighting heroes. And, for me, it got pretty gratuitous seeing a "hero" ripped open by another hero. I was really turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Xistel View Post
    Secret Wars came out 30 years agor. Secret War is more recent!
    Again, why is Annihilation not included? It was a huge event. Is there a reason you do not want us to choose Annihilation?

Quote Originally Posted by 40yearoldnovafan View Post
    Again, why is Annihilation not included? It was a huge event. Is there a reason you do not want us to choose Annihilation?
    I was looking to get an opinion on the main events. the "blockbusters".
    Facebook page dedicated to short films! - https://www.facebook.com/shortstuffmovies

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBodyAtCBR View Post
    How can it not be Civil War? That proudly sits in my bookshelf next to Watchmen as superhero pieces that are comparable to "real" writing. The rest are just "WHAM, BAM, BOOM" super hero comics that you'd expect from comic books. Civil War is the only one I can think of that proves that storytelling in a superhero setting can be about engaging, intellectual and relevant topics.

Sadly, Millar hasn't done anything nearly as good since then except the original Kick-Ass.
    Seriously? I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

What is this meant to be if you don't have the likes of Fear Itself, House of M or World War Hulk?

Personally, I'd vote for Annihilation but I get its exclusion if we are talking big company events but not including those I listed above but adding in Secret War is a horrible way to start stuff off and frankly a bad way to start off.

Dark Reign was a good event because it affected many titles without needing a "main book" which always has so many characters and so little action, and the scenario was interesting (the resolution in Siege was disappointing, though).

Spider Island was also a good event, as the impacts were shown and the main story was interesting and utilized the characters very well. Between those two for me (though SI is not considered). Civil War third.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellman View Post
    What is this meant to be if you don't have the likes of Fear Itself, House of M or World War Hulk?
    World War Hulk I can understand because it wasn't really a company-wide event, but Fear Itself and House of M should be considered.

I loved Siege. It was a fantastic end to the Dark Reign and Olive Copiel's art was simply outstanding.

Havent read Annihilation as I've never been a fan of outer space stuff but I'll be ordering a copy of the trade on this evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    World War Hulk I can understand because it wasn't really a company-wide event, but Fear Itself and House of M should be considered.
    I'm not so sure. I reckon WWH was as big as Siege. I remember it being an expensive month due to all the tie-ins.

Quote Originally Posted by Xistel View Post
    I was looking to get an opinion on the main events. the "blockbusters".
    Well, if you define 'blockbuster' as a little 'event' held in space that not only set the stage for 'Secret Invasion' with the destruction of the Skrull Empire, but allowed characters like Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy to become some of the best-written books of the last decade, then please add it. It directly spawned two very impressive sequels that showcased how the Marvel universe as a whole goes along fighting for survival while earth heroes squabble over petty differences. Last time I checked, none of these events are directly getting a multi-million dollar movie treatment like the little-known characters that were made popular again thanks to Annihilation. Before Annihilation, who would have thought that Peter Quill, Drax, Gamora, Rocket Raccoon and frickin' Groot would be in a major motion picture? It can be argued that Thanos is a huge threat again and appeared in the Avengers movie thanks to the events after Annihilation. The subsequent books flowing from Annihilation feature battles on a scale that make Civil War and Secret War look like playground fights. Also, Marvel tasks the most successful comic writer of the last 10 years (arguably) to carry on with characters re-introduced from Annihilation; something that just a few years ago would have been unheard of. None of the other crossovers can touch that level of success.

Civil war is the clear cut winner.