Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Parch View Post
    Yeah, collecting comics is quite a bit different from investing in comics. There are much, much better choices to spend money on if you're looking for investment profits.
    Naw, who am I kidding. 99.9% of the time comics are a very poor investment.
    Depends what's being invested in. I'd buy Action Comics #1 if I could. For now I go for slimmer pickings that still do well, like high-grade silver-age Spideys. For the year to date, Spidey has earned me some usefulcash, including recent variant covers. Plus I basically netted my personal copies for free.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I agree, top teir titles from the Silver Age in high grade are probably a solid investment. Even if you can't afford the key issues, the surrounding cheaper issues would probably do well over time. But even if the value of an Amazing Spider-Man #56 beats inflation, I think it's best to buy comics you're going to enjoy owning, reading, displaying, or whatever you want to do with them first and worry about their resale value second.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    I agree, top teir titles from the Silver Age in high grade are probably a solid investment. Even if you can't afford the key issues, the surrounding cheaper issues would probably do well over time. But even if the value of an Amazing Spider-Man #56 beats inflation, I think it's best to buy comics you're going to enjoy owning, reading, displaying, or whatever you want to do with them first and worry about their resale value second.
    Do you know of any rare books from the 90s?

There's no real way to "speculate" on these things, as some collectors from the 90s will testify. For myself, it depends on what your personal feelings are and you might get lucky and find that other collectors will love it for the same reason; if there are few surviving copies of it around, that's when its "value" will increase. For example, I am a big fan of the REAL Captain Marvel (Shazam, for now) but DC won't reprint some of his comice because sometimes Fawcett's writing staff were less--enlightened. Cap's not as hot with some of today's readers so his Golden Age comics aren't as "valuable" as say, Supes' or Bats' books from the same period. That works for me!

Also, I would LOVE to have DAREDEVIL #169. It features the first appearance of Elektra but that's not the reason why I want it. I love it because it was the first story FRANK MILLER wrote and had published, as far as I know. It's a nice tale about being re-united with a lost love but for some reason they still can't be together.

Stick with comics you love. Heck, I loved SPAWN\BATMAN by Miller and McFarlane. It's probably worthless to Collectors Assembled but for me, it featured an encounter by not only two characters I like but two of my favorite cartoonists as well!

"It's a good life--GOOD ENOUGH!"--Para-phrasement of the last line in THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

Quote Originally Posted by mortymantis View Post
    The original CROW mini-series.

It had bad distribution and was essentially a self-published, "therapeutic" vanity project. If I remember correctly, the first TRDPBK compilation is what caught the attention of someone in Hollywood. They secured the movie rights from James O'Barr and the rest is history.

ADDENDUM:
    People who are really into that story and who enjoy O'Barr's work will buy it. How much they are willing to pay? Who knows? Maybe the TRDPBK is enough for them--or maybe they would rather have an original comic...
    Last edited by LEADER DESSLOK; 04-08-2013 at 07:56 PM.
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

Bone #1 first print.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Sure. There's a handful. You may even find a few I bargain bins if the dealer doesn't know what he has. Someone on another message board I'm on recently bought a New Mutants #98 for 50 cents at a recent yard sale. I wasn't an active collector for most of the 90's though so I'm not terribly schooled on that subject. I preferred 80's comics.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

A rare one from the 90s I want...Wolverine 145 with a printing flaw...the foil was left off the cover so his claws are bone-white.

I had a chance to get one, but CGC would consider it a production flaw and QUALIFY the book so I left it alone....
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Most people serious about investing would put their money into something else than comics. So I agree with the other members about that.

Most of the pre-Unity Valiant issues will cost some money. You'll probably spend more on those couple of issues than you will the entirety of the Valiant line.

I agree, top teir titles from the Silver Age in high grade are probably a solid investment.
    I'd recommend Bronze age, personally.

While Golden Age prices only go up, the actual demand for them is small because they are so old that they bear little relationship to the comics we read now. As the years go on, the same will be true for Silver Age. I think Bronze Age is the place to go for this reason. People tend to collect the books they grew up with, or at least the books that directly influenced the books they grew up with, and thus the older the comic, the less appeal it has to the average collector. People are always going to want a Detective Comics #27, but how many would pay book to obtain a #31? True, some would do so just to have an issue near #27, but they wouldn't pay book to own two issues from that stretch. The price does not reflect the actual demand.

I also think the emphasis on high grade books is a relatively new phenomenon that has a chance of being a bubble that will eventually burst. For that reason, I recommend going F/VF in any purchase that you hope to turn into an investment. These books will always rise in value along with the NM, and they still have eye appeal and collectibility, but they are certainly not over-valued in anyone's opinion, and they are not so costly as to be inaccessible to the average buyer.
    Last edited by shaxper; 04-09-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Well yeah, I don't think the highest graded examples are a good bet, they're pretty inflated. I just meant not falling apart basically. I have some Silver Age comics but in the condition they are in I doubt they will ever be of any value. They might be dust in 20 years.

Well yeah, I don't think the highest graded examples are a good bet, they're pretty inflated. I just meant not falling apart basically. I have some Silver Age comics but in the condition they are in I doubt they will ever be of any value. They might be dust in 20 years.
    I would be more likely to buy your bad condition ones if it helped me fill in a run. Like I said, my Uncanny issues under #50 are in pretty spotty shape. I #5 and #10 as my earliest ones. I lucked into a good copy of #5 that someone stupidly sold to me in a bulk of comics for like $100 after the crash in the 90s. My copy of #10 is in rough shape. As are my copies of #11 and #13. They were affordable and I wanted them. I tend to think I would be more common as a buyer than people after the high grade ones.

And my copy of Incredible Hulk #181 is in brutal shape but I bet I could sell that tomorrow no problem.
    Last edited by MadDog1981; 04-09-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    A rare one from the 90s I want...Wolverine 145 with a printing flaw...the foil was left off the cover so his claws are bone-white.

I had a chance to get one, but CGC would consider it a production flaw and QUALIFY the book so I left it alone....
    I don't understand the logic here. You want it but you don't want it due to CGC? That is exactly what is wrong with slabs.