Quote Originally Posted by airdreams View Post
    All New X-Men 3 $3.99 Marvel 83,798
    All New X-Men 4 $3.99 Marvel 80,665
    All New X-Men 5 $3.99 Marvel 76,007
    All New X-Men 6 $3.99 Marvel 80,195
    All New X-Men 7 $3.99 Marvel 85,234
    All New X-Men 8 $3.99 Marvel 90,990
    All New X-Men 9 $3.99 Marvel 81,695

You'd better see the cover of issue #5. I'm not saying the plunge in sales was caused solely by the a Jean Grey cover, but attributing the sales of a title, especially one which has a huge roster, to only one character is just stupid.
    and yet you have no trouble suggesting her presence on the cover is somehow responsible in part "....caused solely by the Jean grey cover...." as if it could ever be the issue even partially :

1) yhea "let's not buy this issue, Jean grey is on the cover!" as opposed to buying a series where she is heavily featured not to mention the other issues where she also appears on the front cover lol
    2) covers never stopped people from collecting a comic especially one as popular as x-men and in any case there are always variant
    3) brevoort himself said diamond sales are never accurate
    Last edited by RiptideX; 05-17-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    She sings directly to the sheep, "Oh noble sheep, we eat your babies. We use your brain to fight off rabies, but the most beautiful gift you give us is wool."

Quote Originally Posted by RiptideX View Post
    and yet you have no trouble suggesting her presence on the cover is somehow responsible in part "....caused solely by the Jean grey cover...." as if it could ever be the issue even partially :

1) yhea "let's not buy this issue, Jean grey is on the cover!" as opposed to buying a series where she is heavily featured not to mention the other issues where she also appears on the front cover lol
    2) covers never stopped people from collecting a comic especially one as popular as x-men and in any case there are always variant
    retailers order three months in advance. It's likely they were just following the usual pattern of expecting a chunk of the audience to leave after the first arc. The premise of the book didnt sound very good to the (three) retailers I discussed it with ("cancelled at issue 12") said one. He still thinks it's garbage, but it has gone on a lot of pull lists, so he is grateful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by RiptideX View Post

No, you misinterpreted my post. What I meant was that, except for solo series, one character cannot be responsible for the sales of a title, especially the one that has a large roster. Did the Jean Grey cover partially lead to the sudden plunge in sales? Perhaps it did, perhaps it didn't. Without the systematic statistics analyses, we, as readers, are unable to know it.

The same goes for the surge of its sales. That ANXM sold well came down to Jean's appearances alone? Lol, don't be ridiculous. At least I, for one, picked ANXM up only because of Kitty. That's why I refuted the so-called "Jean effect" thing.

Your 1) 2) 3) were completely irrelevant to my point.
    Last edited by airdreams; 05-18-2013 at 05:00 AM.
    In dog days, all we need is Frost.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by airdreams View Post
    No, you misinterpreted my post. What I meant was that, except for solo series, one character cannot be responsible for the sales of a title, especially the one that has a large roster. Did the Jean Grey cover partially lead to the sudden plunge in sales? Perhaps it did, perhaps it didn't. Without the systematic statistics analyses, we, as readers, are unable to know it.
    What was the correct interpretation then, that someone making their first ever post on CBR can't get away with making a little joke without being hit with a bunch of sales numbers and being told that they're stupid and wrong for jumping to conclusions?

Besides, most of the times team books do sell based on the strength of just one or two characters. That's why they try to stick the A-listers on as many teams as they can, and even well-written books with excellent team dynamics tend to tank if they don't have a legitimate draw on the roster. Sometimes, like with X-Treme X-Men, they go out of their way to falsely promote a supporting character as the star because the lead isn't perceived to be marketable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOff View Post
    What was the correct interpretation then, that someone making their first ever post on CBR can't get away with making a little joke without being hit with a bunch of sales numbers and being told that they're stupid and wrong for jumping to conclusions?
    I apologize to thedarkestlady if that's only a joke; but my point still stands – no way is it Jean Grey alone to cause the surge/plunge in sales.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOff View Post
    Besides, most of the times team books do sell based on the strength of just one or two characters. That's why they try to stick the A-listers on as many teams as they can, and even well-written books with excellent team dynamics tend to tank if they don't have a legitimate draw on the roster. Sometimes, like with X-Treme X-Men, they go out of their way to falsely promote a supporting character as the star because the lead isn't perceived to be marketable enough.
    Partially, yes, A-listers sell, which is by no means the only factor, though. Let's see the roster of ANXM:
    Kitty, T!Scott, T!Jean, Wolverine, Beast, T!Iceman, Iceman, T!Angel, Angel, Storm,Mystique etc. The first three characters are mainly featured, not to mention the Uncanny team, the Avengers and other guest stars. Does Jean Grey sell? I believe so, at least she has lots of fans – but, well, do you believe she's the only reason to cause the high sales of the title?
    Last edited by airdreams; 05-18-2013 at 06:18 AM.
    In dog days, all we need is Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Egg View Post
    You know, I've always said that Jean Grey sells books...

Fishing for someone to tell me I'm wrong. 101010101
    I've said this for years. Think if she became the 7th member of the upcoming x-men team? She sells books even when she is a side piece.

I only buy the ones w/ Jean on the cover.
    Pot+Kettle - "This post went so full retard that it had to be quoted."

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDowntown View Post
    I've said this for years. Think if she became the 7th member of the upcoming x-men team? She sells books even when she is a side piece.
    I am soooo hoping Jean is in X-Men. That would make X-Men an absolutely automatic read. Character moments between Storm and Jean? I'd buy it.
    Favorites: Jean Grey, Storm, The Wolverine, The Iceman, The Beast, The Rogue, Kid Omega, Oya, Broo, Kid Gladiator, Mags, Pryde
    The Diary of a Supa-Cool Nerd!