Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Kon was created by NOWHERE with from the dna of lois and clark, they thought he was a failure, but he was much more than they bargained for.

There you go, no time shit, alternate shit, just here and now shit.

Remember kon has had 5 different origins now, this is one of that 5,and it probably wont be the last, so enjoy or hate it, but you will have another one someday. HOPEFULLY its my perfect SB.
    Ignoring the convoluted aspects of his origin doesn't make those things go away. It's a shit origin story.

Quote Originally Posted by Supergod View Post
    Ignoring the convoluted aspects of his origin doesn't make those things go away. It's a shit origin story.
    Dude, every superhero origin story is convoluted when you focus on the specifics. Have you ever read "Superman: Secret Origins" for the pre-New 52? Or the origin story for Raven in the pre-New 52? What stephens is trying to say is that when you bring it down to the basics, this origin story doesn't have to be as convoluted as people are making it seem.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PRgirl94 View Post
    Dude, every superhero origin story is convoluted when you focus on the specifics. Have you ever read "Superman: Secret Origins" for the pre-New 52? Or the origin story for Raven in the pre-New 52? What stephens is trying to say is that when you bring it down to the basics, this origin story doesn't have to be as convoluted as people are making it seem.
    So do you think Superman's origin as as convoluted as Cable's?

Well, the current origin is kind of like a reverse of Stryfe's, which actually is a lot better than being a carbon copy of Cable's. While Strife is a more powerful clone made of a present progeny of a hero and his love in the future originally created to solve a problem suffered by the original, Superboy's a more powerful clone made of a future progeny of a hero and his love in the past originally created to solve a problem suffered by the original.

On the major plus side, this does mean that Kon is wholly a creation in the present physically speaking, but the genesis for the idea of Kon is heavily involved in time travel and alternate future shenanigans.

I personally don't think it's on par with the rest of his origins, but The biggest complaint I have with the issue itself is how this origin for Superboy was only a branch away from the main plot of the story: Superboy's origin only took up about one page in this book while Harvest took over most of the issue with his boy Jon. This would have worked well for a #0 issue or in the upcoming villains month, but here it felt like Lodbell trying to set down a last minute version of Superboy's evolving origin before jumping ship.

And while I appreciate the attempt to add depth to a major villain created by Lobdell, he still strikes me as a poor man's reverse-Apocalypse stealing a role (creator and secret controller of Superboy) better reserved for Lex Luthor, Brainiac, The Government, Darkseid, etc. I had more joy reading this issue than I have with any of Harvest's other appearances, but right now I feel like I could use him as an example of how Hush was not the victim of Shilling the Wesley in comparison to Harvest.
    “There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

-C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Well, the current origin is kind of like a reverse of Stryfe's, which actually is a lot better than being a carbon copy of Cable's. While Strife is a more powerful clone made of a present progeny of a hero and his love in the future originally created to solve a problem suffered by the original, Superboy's a more powerful clone made of a future progeny of a hero and his love in the past originally created to solve a problem suffered by the original.
    Actually, Superboy's not a clone made of the future progeny of a hero and his love. He's a hybrid clone made from the combination of the hero and his love's DNA.

On the major plus side, this does mean that Kon is wholly a creation in the present physically speaking, but the genesis for the idea of Kon is heavily involved in time travel and alternate future shenanigans.

I personally don't think it's on par with the rest of his origins,
    I understand that you guys think that this new origin story of Superboy is convoluted or that it's not as good as his previous origin stories. Well here's something that might cheer you up about it: I don't think that we've seen all of it yet. The identity of the third donor (and whether or not there is a third donor) is still a mystery and I doubt that Harvest would create a whole clone just to find a cure for Jon. I'm pretty sure that Kon was also a back-up in case Harvest's attempt to save Jon failed. Either way, I'm sure that there's more for us to learn about Superboy's origins in later issues. And hopefully, once we fit all the pieces together, this new origin, at its most basic form, won't seem as complicated or convoluted as it does to you now.

but The biggest complaint I have with the issue itself is how this origin for Superboy was only a branch away from the main plot of the story: Superboy's origin only took up about one page in this book while Harvest took over most of the issue with his boy Jon. This would have worked well for a #0 issue or in the upcoming villains month, but here it felt like Lodbell trying to set down a last minute version of Superboy's evolving origin before jumping ship.

And while I appreciate the attempt to add depth to a major villain created by Lobdell, he still strikes me as a poor man's reverse-Apocalypse stealing a role (creator and secret controller of Superboy) better reserved for Lex Luthor, Brainiac, The Government, Darkseid, etc. I had more joy reading this issue than I have with any of Harvest's other appearances, but right now I feel like I could use him as an example of how Hush was not the victim of Shilling the Wesley in comparison to Harvest.
    1. As Harvest said in the issue, he couldn't share Superboy's story without sharing his own story.

2. I doubt that Lobdell would work out Superboy's origin story at the last minute. Plus, I'm pretty sure that he had help from other writers and from the editors.

3. Like I said before, I don't think that we've seen all of Kon's origin story. Harvest may have had the last word on everything, but I'm sure that there were other major DCU villains who had a hand in Superboy's creation; Lex Luthor being the top candidate. We'll just have to keep reading and wait for the next big revelation.

BANNED

This was garbage. It was badly written and a amalgamation of ideas that would have been reject in a 90's Image comic.

Superboy's origin used to be simple. Superman and Lex Luthor's genetic offspring. Bam, go. It was a good one too, it got used in Young Justice and Smallville. This, I don't know what to say. It was bad. Overcomplicated and made even more so by a poor writer. If they wanted to replace Lex with Lois, its not necessarily a bad idea. But the execution was most unacceptable.

Congrats, we've been Lobdelled once again. Is he down to just Superman now?

Quote Originally Posted by lovelikewinter View Post
    Superboy's origin used to be simple. Superman and Lex Luthor's genetic offspring. Bam, go.
    Keep in mind that that wasn't Superboy's original origin, though. It's my favorite, yes, but it took some time to get there.

Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar

This orign is as complicated or simple as you want to make it,cloned from lois and clark, just like clone of clark and lex, both can be simple, but both can be complicated, BUT only lobdells version can jive with the history of the nuDCU, and geoffs cant work with pre teen titans DCU.
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch

Bring back kon-el/Conner kent

Quote Originally Posted by PRgirl94 View Post
    Actually, Superboy's not a clone made of the future progeny of a hero and his love. He's a hybrid clone made from the combination of the hero and his love's DNA.

I understand that you guys think that this new origin story of Superboy is convoluted or that it's not as good as his previous origin stories. Well here's something that might cheer you up about it: I don't think that we've seen all of it yet. The identity of the third donor (and whether or not there is a third donor) is still a mystery and I doubt that Harvest would create a whole clone just to find a cure for Jon. I'm pretty sure that Kon was also a back-up in case Harvest's attempt to save Jon failed. Either way, I'm sure that there's more for us to learn about Superboy's origins in later issues. And hopefully, once we fit all the pieces together, this new origin, at its most basic form, won't seem as complicated or convoluted as it does to you now.

1. As Harvest said in the issue, he couldn't share Superboy's story without sharing his own story.

2. I doubt that Lobdell would work out Superboy's origin story at the last minute. Plus, I'm pretty sure that he had help from other writers and from the editors.

3. Like I said before, I don't think that we've seen all of Kon's origin story. Harvest may have had the last word on everything, but I'm sure that there were other major DCU villains who had a hand in Superboy's creation; Lex Luthor being the top candidate. We'll just have to keep reading and wait for the next big revelation.
    Thanks for the correction on the donors for Superboy, it's one of the reasons I still think Lobdell didn't base the new origin off an older one. I just think there is a very noticeable parallel between the two characters right now.

And we know the new origin wasn't originally conceived by Lobdell when he started writing the book, which combines with the fact he has a very adaptive story method, that lead me to believe this was conceived a bit closer to the seat of his pants then I think was appropriate. Not that he threw this together while writing this very issue, but I don't believe he had this idea in mind when Tom Defalco took over the book. Most of the hints and foreshadowing implied either the now more media accepted Lex/Clark fusion at the start, or some kind of creepy alien cocktail. And since we know Lobdell has sometimes been used by editorial as a relatively neat and tidy retcon man, it wouldn't shock me if he immediately conceived of the new origin after being informed of the WTF event. I can see him stepping up to the editor and saying he had a great idea for a cover with a following story, probably while he was analyzing fan response to his handling of Superman's romantic life in his new book.

Having said that, I will applaud his book as the most entertaining Superboy issue for several months, but that's damning for the main character and story so far if the best book features a single page appearance by him and is mostly a monologue of exposition by a overarching villain that still feels derivative. And I still want to know this one thing; if Lobdell is quite capable of competently executing a modern style, still fresh, and more sincere story in this book and RHATO, why the hell are we still seeing thought-balloons, monologue boxes, narrator boxes, and antiquated comic book dialogue smothering his work on Teen Titans and at least some of the issues of Superman I read? He's so much more focused and clean in the two books he left, and he wrote Superboy with a much younger and far more real voice than he does with any of the Titans, with the possible exception of Bunker and Kid Flash.
    “There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

-C.S. Lewis

BANNED

Lame..........

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Oh yeah the board where i got banned lol,their loss.

Back to SB
    Remember the solicit that said kon was getting a secret identity and moving somewhere new? Do you think they pulled that so they could do this origin issue first? And now do you think they will go through with it? Hopefully he becomes conner kent,i could go either wa aboutstaying close to his donors in metroplis,what do you think?

Would you dislike this SB atleast a lil less if he changed his tron suit in for a less busy suit? Jons is cool lol,or my fave the YJ SBs solar suit colored all black with the black fingerless gloves from the second season.
    In one of the comics after H'El, I remember Superboy saying that he is now in Metropolis to get to know Supes better, but hates Supes rules, like telling him along with the Titans telling SB to take all the money he stole back to the money came from.

So as far as I Know it now, he's in Metropolis. in his so-called Origin story, and i'm calling it a "So Called Origin" because Lobdell still wants Kon the way he thinks Kons origins should be. But yeah he was in Metropolis

Actually last issue of teen titans he shows up and ask to stay with them, on tims boat, because he gave away his apartment and returned all his money he stole.
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch

Black zero and jon kent, both ruled over "theyre" ppl, and had TTK.
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior10 View Post
    In one of the comics after H'El, I remember Superboy saying that he is now in Metropolis to get to know Supes better, but hates Supes rules, like telling him along with the Titans telling SB to take all the money he stole back to the money came from.

So as far as I Know it now, he's in Metropolis. in his so-called Origin story, and i'm calling it a "So Called Origin" because Lobdell still wants Kon the way he thinks Kons origins should be. But yeah he was in Metropolis
    What comic did you get that from? I've read nothing about Superboy saying that he's in Metropolis to get to know Superman better. And from #18, he says that he does it of his own accord.