Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Exactly how powerful are the Priors supposed to be? Were they supposed to have similar abilities to the ascended beings, just not on the same power level?
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Were they supposed to have similar abilities to the ascended beings, just not on the same power level?
    They pretty much acted as conduits for the Ori. So their powers were whatever the Ori decided to transfer to them at the time, IIRC.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    They pretty much acted as conduits for the Ori. So their powers were whatever the Ori decided to transfer to them at the time, IIRC.
    Actually, no.

The Ori were forbidden (and, most importantly, actively blocked) from interference in the mortal plane of existence within the Milky Way by the Ascended Ancients. The whole Adria (effectively an embodied Ori) gambit was their best attempt to bypass this blockage, which would have been exceedingly pointless if they could just power up at will their Priors.

At any rate, to quote the relevant wiki in regards to known Prior capabilities:

Release a massive wave that heals everything it touches. (SG1: "The Powers That Be", "The Fourth Horseman, Part 2")
    Resurrection of the recently deceased. (SG1: "Origin", "The Powers That Be")
    Control over various forms of energy .
    Telekinesis (SG1: "Origin", "Beachhead")
    Pyrokinetic abilities allowing them to control flames. (SG1: "Flesh and Blood")
    Immolate themselves and die in a flame that consumes their own bodies. (SG1: "Origin")
    The ability to induce great pain in order to torture captives who are engulfed by light from the staff. (SG1: "Line in the Sand", "The Ark of Truth")
    Creation of force-fields in the form of a bubble around large areas of land. (SG1: "Beachhead")
    The ability to function in an oxygen-deprived environment. (SG1: "Beachhead")
    Create city-leveling earthquakes. (SG1: "Babylon")
    Infect an entire village with a fatal and extremely contagious disease. (SG1: "The Powers That Be")
    Astral projection over great cosmic distances. (SG1: "The Fourth Horseman, Part 1")
    Create vicious creatures to unleash on a population. (SG1: "The Scourge")
    Infect a victim with an illness that quickly transforms them into an undead being whose sole purpose is to kill everyone around it. (SG1: "Arthur's Mantle")
    Interface with (at least early) Ancient technology.

Everything for Big Fire BitVyper's Avatar

I think they're actually essentially artificially evolved humans who are sometimes-but-not-always having their powers juiced by the Ori. I'm not sure they need the Ori to exist to retain their baseline powers, which seem suspiciously similar to the kinds of powers the Ancients had (we've certainly seen that the Ancients could artifically evolve someone if they wanted to). Actually, there was a point at which the Ori were all dead and Adria hadn't ascended yet, but I can't recall if we saw any Priors doing stuff during that period. Daniel Jackson was able to use Prior powers to work against the Ori, which would suggest that it doesn't require the Ori to be helping directly, which makes sense because the Milky Way Ascended probably wouldn't have allowed that.

As I recall, they have telekinesis, personal shields, healing, resurrection, pyrokinesis, enhanced stats, and plague powers. I'm sure they did some other stuff too, but I can't recall. They can also turn other people into Priors, which we've seen is pretty a pretty seductive offer (super powers AND the (false) offer of ascension). There was also transforming that one planet into a microsingularity, but I forget the specifics of that feat.

Edit: Yeah, what Estrecca said.
    I swim through a sea of stars
    without looking back to shore.
    Faster than light, bending time

Forever
    Wherever

Anti-Matter Eyes Eternal Torment's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    I think they're actually essentially artificially evolved humans who are sometimes-but-not-always having their powers juiced by the Ori. I'm not sure they need the Ori to exist to retain their baseline powers, which seem suspiciously similar to the kinds of powers the Ancients had (we've certainly seen that the Ancients could artifically evolve someone if they wanted to). Actually, there was a point at which the Ori were all dead and Adria hadn't ascended yet, but I can't recall if we saw any Priors doing stuff during that period. Daniel Jackson was able to use Prior powers to work against the Ori, which would suggest that it doesn't require the Ori to be helping directly, which makes sense because the Milky Way Ascended probably wouldn't have allowed that.

As I recall, they have telekinesis, personal shields, healing, resurrection, pyrokinesis, enhanced stats, and plague powers. I'm sure they did some other stuff too, but I can't recall. They can also turn other people into Priors, which we've seen is pretty a pretty seductive offer (super powers AND the (false) offer of ascension). There was also transforming that one planet into a microsingularity, but I forget the specifics of that feat.

Edit: Yeah, what Estrecca said.
    Yeah, people with more advanced brains had minor Ascended-like powers. For example, that clone son of Anubis displayed stuff like telekinesis from being really evolved (ugh). So, I'm pretty sure the Priors would retain their abilities if the Ori were to be killed, since that super evolution (ugh again) is how they got their base powers.

As for the microsingularity, it needed a Prior that was being juiced by the Ori through an open Stargate to create a constantly expanding shield that could absorb Ha'tak fire and grow even faster. However, it needs a large source of energy in order to actually collapse the planet. Nerus, who worked for the Ori, said that the shield couldn't have encompassed the entire planet without the Gatebuster nuke going off inside.