Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Everything for Big Fire BitVyper's Avatar

Default The Ori (Stargate) replace the Borg

They start out controlling all the territory the Borg did (in their own particular way, however), and at least in the beginning, run on the same basic timeline the Borg did as far as coming into contact with our quadrant. How do things change in the Star Trek universe?
    Last edited by BitVyper; 04-05-2013 at 05:42 AM.
    I swim through a sea of stars
    without looking back to shore.
    Faster than light, bending time

Forever
    Wherever

The comparison depends on the base level of the ORI ships vs. the Trek ships. It's hard to say but I think ST packs more firepower and could stop the ships fairly easily. Now if the ORI go use their mental powers, blah, blah - they might give Star fleet trouble. However, there a lots of cosmic types in the ST universe that might be annoyed. Is this the entire universe vs. entire universe or just ST vs Ori. Adding the Romulans, Klingons, Dominion, etc - give ST a lot of firepower.

the demon king rules master of read's Avatar

after running into a certain star ship captain, the priors change their motto to "hallowed is the sisko."
    COCAINE IS MY GOD AND I AM THE LIVING INSTRUMENT OF ITS WILL!!
    snowflame, new guardians #2
    wanna make some quick cash?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    The comparison depends on the base level of the ORI ships vs. the Trek ships. It's hard to say but I think ST packs more firepower and could stop the ships fairly easily.
    I think I'd have to dispute that. An Ori ship took a Hatak ramming it at around full speed if I remember correctly, which would be a significant fraction of the speed of light, and its shields kept it from being harmed. Also, at least one Asgard ship was among the fleet that battled the three Ori ships that first came through the Supergate and it managed to defeat the entire fleet. And considering Asgard ships have the power resources and drives to make intergalactic trips I would say they're a cut or two above Trek ships.
    Last edited by The Watcher; 04-05-2013 at 03:05 PM.

The Ori can make ZPM's if I recall correctly, those damn things are massively overpowered. I think they can take most normal Planets (hell they might be able to convert Bajor just by showing up with their abilities).
    Siriel; You have spectacularly failed to understand my post.

Are we just talking about the Alpha Quadrant Borg, or are we including the bunch that is still in the Delta Quadrant? Because conquering that territory means going up against Species 8472.

And whatever godhood they espouse is going to end up being debunked when Q and his kind try to mess with them.

The Ori's gods aren't fake. Probably not as powerful as the Q, but then the Q generally don't get directly involved even for major threats. I imagine, they'll impose the same limitation Stargate's ascended did. I don't see any reason they would stop Priors from spreading Origin. What do the Q care if everyone follows one religion or another? They didn't seem terribly perturbed by the Borg driving species to effective extinction. Really, the fact that they're most likely more powerful than Stargate Ascended just means they're more likely to ignore the Ori themselves.

At any rate, yes, the Ori are transplanted into all the Borg's territory.

Forever
    Wherever

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    I think I'd have to dispute that. An Ori ship took a Hatak ramming it at around full speed if I remember correctly, which would be a significant fraction of the speed of light, and its shields kept it from being harmed. Also, at least one Asgard ship was among the fleet that battled the three Ori ships that first came through the Supergate and it managed to defeat the entire fleet. And considering Asgard ships have the power resources and drives to make intergalactic trips I would say they're a cut or two above Trek ships.
    In fairness, the Asgard-tech equipped Prometheus was more than a match for one alone. That first battle at the super gate seemed a bit jobbery, and the Asgard ship that was present didn't really give much of a performance.

It's still a pretty impressive feat for the Ori though, even without the Asgard ship. There were a lot of Goauld motherships getting one-shotted there, and it's easy to forget how much of a pounding those things can take since they became pretty irrelevant later on.

Forever
    Wherever

How many ships did the Ori have? The ST universe can put out thousands of vessels.

Uncertain, but they control an entire galaxy (or did control in their own series), and their production seems limited only by their materials. They were able to build up an armada pretty quickly, and their ships are extremely powerful and durable to the extent that they pretty much Dragonballed everything from earlier in the series. Notably, an early Goauld mothership (they did get some major tech upgrades later on) took... as I recall a direct 1000 megaton impact with absolutely no damage to its shields. A Goauld mothership (perfectly capable of destroying other motherships) exhausted its weapons against an Ori ship, and then rammed it (with shields), and it was pretty much like a bug on a windshield. They also have the technology to construct stargates, and more importantly, supergates. Their ships have FTL that is fast enough to allow convenient intergalactic travel, which is far in excess of anything Trek ships can do, as far as I can recall.

The problem may be less the ships, and more the priors though. The Federation has the Prime Directive, but the Priors will be going around rolling pre-warp societies into Origin, not to mention more vulnerable post-warp societies like the Bajorans. A single prior pretty much can't be beat on the ground.

Forever
    Wherever

You're correct about that. I still don't think the ST ships are roll-overs but would be hard put to have data for that. I forgot about the Ori shields. Didn't the Stargate folks do some transporting of nuclear weapons aboard them - duh, mind fades.

They tried. They used a fluctuation in Ori shields to transport a bomb on board, but it didn't work. It's unclear as to whether the bomb failed to transport or failed to explode.

I don't think ST ships will be owned either. I think the early difference in strength will be more or less similar to what they experienced with the Borg (although probably higher in terms of shield strength). Hyperdrive is still a pretty big advantage though. They'll take heavy losses early on, but they'll have a chance to catch up.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 04-07-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Forever
    Wherever

Would the Ori be assimilated the Borg?

Quote Originally Posted by Alienscifi View Post
    Would the Ori be assimilated the Borg?
    The Ori are ascended beings. They don't have physical bodies to assimilate.

If you mean the Priors, then yes, they certainly could be assimilated, but that wouldn't really do anything to the Ori. They could just keep brainwashing more people to spread Origin.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrer View Post
    The Ori are ascended beings. They don't have physical bodies to assimilate.

If you mean the Priors, then yes, they certainly could be assimilated, but that wouldn't really do anything to the Ori. They could just keep brainwashing more people to spread Origin.

Either way I believe there are no Borg in this Scenario.
    Siriel; You have spectacularly failed to understand my post.