Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Er... spiritual advisors and um, paranormal investigators could relate to him.

Seriously, I don't have to completely relate to a character to be interested. We both like tea and weird stuff. That's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SanctumSanctorumComix View Post
    I just realized that the guy who STARTED this thread is the same one who wrote THIS:

To whom I responded with this:

And then HE replies with THIS!:

So, the guy can't relate to a character - which he says is HIS FAVORITE MARVEL CHARACTER - yet gives slams to that character for behavior in a comic story of which he has only read HALF!?
    Someone shut down this thread.
    It's officially pointless.

"Tamam Shud!"
    ~P~
    I'm not allowed to like a character because I have a different interpretation of him then you do?

I like him because he's unheroic, entirely unrelatable and a dick, and his dialogue is often unintentionally hilarious. He's a stark contrast to other marvel and DC comics that I am not a fan of.

You like Dr. Strange for other reasons. Both of us are allowed to like Dr. Strange equally. There are no requirements for liking Dr. Strange.

LoL... perhaps my comment reads stronger than intended (bold text was merely to differentiate my comments from the quoted passages).
    So, in light of chariset's cooler head, I rescind my earlier condemnation.
    But really... the guy who started this was just trolling?
    argh.
    No, I wasn't trolling, I just have a much different interpretation of the character then you do. I will go and find some Essential Dr Strange that has his old 60s comics. I find every comic with strange in it absolutely unintentionally hilarious which is why I love him so much. He's like the Tommy Wisseau of Mainstream hero comics. He always has some bizarre pseudo-buddhist/hindu referencing Deus Ex-Machina magic spell or artifact to bail him out of any situation which is also why I love him, it's like Adam West Batman written by a crazy acid tripping 60s hippy.
    Last edited by de Sosa; 04-08-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Doctor Strange Historian SanctumSanctorumComix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by de Sosa View Post
    I'm not allowed to like a character because I have a different interpretation of him then you do?

I like him because he's unheroic, entirely unrelatable and a dick, and his dialogue is often unintentionally hilarious. He's a stark contrast to other marvel and DC comics that I am not a fan of.

You like Dr. Strange for other reasons. Both of us are allowed to like Dr. Strange equally. There are no requirements for liking Dr. Strange.

No, I wasn't trolling, I just have a much different interpretation of the character then you do. I will go and find some Essential Dr Strange that has his old 60s comics. I find every comic with strange in it absolutely unintentionally hilarious which is why I love him so much. He's like the Tommy Wisseau of Mainstream hero comics. He always has some bizarre pseudo-buddhist/hindu referencing Deus Ex-Machina magic spell or artifact to bail him out of any situation which is also why I love him, it's like Adam West Batman written by a crazy acid tripping 60s hippy.
    You're fully allowed to like any character for any reason - BUT... you started a thread stating that he was "the least relatable character ever" - that kind of negates any "liking" of the character.

My calling you out earlier had more to do with your lack of understanding of the character than any "my way or the highway" protective mentality which you seem to think I was acting out.
    My statement to "close the thread" was more a sign that the conversation had begun on false terms (a fan who says he likes the character but also doesn't - while a possible honest dichotomy, is more often than not, in web-circles... a troll - ) seeking to incite derision.
    Chariset also read more vehemence into my statement than i implied, which is why, when prompted, I withdrew the statement.
    I didn't mean for it to seem as "dictatorial" as it seems to have been received.

If you honestly like the character, but also can not relate to him (as I said earlier in another post...) that's fine. No one has to "get" every character, and there are often many nuanced areas for different readers to find different aspects that they admire.

Personally, while I think "mystic dick" is a bit much... I also enjoy seeing the... shall we say... darker, more manipulative side of Strange.
    In that, we seem to have common ground.

However, you also seem to have some mistaken beliefs on the character, and that may come from an incomplete digestion of his comics (perhaps you only have access to some and not others - such as your half-read story with Cloak&Dagger).
    That can lead to a bad experience (or a lopsided one).
    But, if the "dickish" Strange is what you like, then I'll hep you to more of the same at the end of this posted comment.

Still... I do think you're off base on some of your assumptions.
    You reference supposed situations that may have happened once (if that) [your idea that he has some bizarre pseudo-buddhist/hindu referencing Deus Ex-Machina magic spell] and you state that he "always" has such things - which is patently not the case.

IF you mean that many of Doctor Strange's items of power are loosely based on religious/mystic items from Buddism/Hindu faiths - then, yes. Some of them were.
    The EYE of AGAMOTTO with it's ring of spheres is an homage to the Eye of Buddha with it's ring of "Martyr snails".
    The Wand of Watoomb is much like a double-headed Dorje - from Tibetan/Himalayan Buddism.
    But that's pretty much "it".

None of the spells or items are in any way intentionally "referencing bizarre pseudo-buddhist/hindu spells".
    It's all Stan Lee gobbledegook. Made up rhyme and meter.

Yes, Doc often spouts mystic gibberish to achieve whatever ends the writer has need of, and yes, he has - on occasion - whipped out some mystic item of power that is just what is needed to save the day... but he's not some steriotypical "wise mystic" character, spouting quotes from "Confucius". It just seems to me that your cursory description of "your" version of Dr. Strange is more in keeping with the "Strange Dr. Strange" from his first appearance in SuperHero Squad, or any number of the thankfully nearly-forgotten treatments of the character.

You're also WAAAY off base in stating that he is UNHEROIC. Strange could be one of the MOST heroic characters marvel has (outside of Spider-Man).
    You SHOULD go get the early ESSENTIALS and re-read the first few volumes.
    If, at the VERY least, make sure to read issues #130-146 of Strange Tales; the "Eternity saga".
    THAT is hand's down THE definitive "Dr. Strange" - by Ditko & Lee.
    (Other versions of Strange are excellent [ Englehart/Brunner, Englehart/Colan, Roger Stern/Paul Smith... all excellent! The perfect SINGLE issue is Doctor Strange; Master of the Mystic Arts # 55 - with Michael Golden art. Go seek those out as well!)

But, sadly, it seems that you've been exposed to much of the "wrong" type of writing of Doc (Matt Fraction's recent DEFENDERS, and ANYTHING by Bendis, among others).

Now, to help you out... I will lead you to a few stories that will probably fill your need for "your" Dr. Strange.

Go get "THOR: VIKINGS" mini series.
    It's actually good, and Doc is treated like a mild dandy in the David Niven vein. He's also a bit "out there" in it.

Also, you'll probably like "X-Statix presents: DEAD GIRL" mini series.
    Doc is seriously whacked out in that one.

BOTh of those are pretty good - albeit, offbeat treatments of the good Doctor.
    And don't let the titles fool you.
    DOC might not be the headline, but he IS the star!

Even "Doctor Strange: Flight of Bones" mini has a slightly dickish Dr. Strange in it (but not too much). And you'll probably like some of his "deux" spells (like turning windows to moths so that he can sail right through).

But for all-out manipulative Doctor Strange, you need to read the 2nd volume of Strange Tales (they recently released in in TPB) by Peter Gillis.

It is an arc that follows Strange in his loss of much of his power and abilities in using "white" magic, his being tutored by an old foe in the ways of "black" magic in order to defeat ancient evils that he had released, the ascension to the greatest levels of that dark magic, and then the long journey back to white magician.
    There's even Doc making human sacrifices!

Starting in DOCTOR STRANGE : MASTER OF THE MYSTIC ARTS # 75-81 (although if pressed, you could jump to issue # 79 and start there) continued to the end of that series with # 81, then continues in his next (shared) title; STRANGE TALES v2 from # 1 - 19. It then continues into Doc's new title; DOCTOR STRANGE : SORCERER SUPREME in issues # 1-2 (but technically doesn't fully wrap up until issue # 4).

Your "Cloak&Dagger team-up" is in there (and it will help explain WHY he did what he did).

Still, it seems that the two of us will be able to get our mutual fill of each of our own brands of Doctor Strange in Jonathan Hickman's NEW AVENGERS (Illuminati).
    Thus far, we have some serious dick moves by Doc, some darker handling and manipulation of others and some potential deux magic (and dark, dark, magic indeed).

So rejoice... with luck, this will be a "Strange... for ALL".
    Last edited by SanctumSanctorumComix; 04-08-2013 at 03:51 PM.
    ------
    "Tamam Shud!"
    ~P~
    Sanctum Sanctorum Comix
    BLOG
    TWITTER

You're fully allowed to like any character for any reason - BUT... you started a thread stating that he was "the least relatable character ever" - that kind of negates any "liking" of the character.

My calling you out earlier had more to do with your lack of understanding of the character than any "my way or the highway" protective mentality which you seem to think I was acting out.
    My statement to "close the thread" was more a sign that the conversation had begun on false terms (a fan who says he likes the character but also doesn't - while a possible honest dichotomy, is more often than not, in web-circles... a troll - ) seeking to incite derision.
    Chariset also read more vehemence into my statement than i implied, which is why, when prompted, I withdrew the statement.
    I didn't mean for it to seem as "dictatorial" as it seems to have been received.

If you honestly like the character, but also can not relate to him (as I said earlier in another post...) that's fine. No one has to "get" every character, and there are often many nuanced areas for different readers to find different aspects that they admire.

Personally, while I think "mystic dick" is a bit much... I also enjoy seeing the... shall we say... darker, more manipulative side of Strange.
    In that, we seem to have common ground.

However, you also seem to have some mistaken beliefs on the character, and that may come from an incomplete digestion of his comics (perhaps you only have access to some and not others - such as your half-read story with Cloak&Dagger).
    That can lead to a bad experience (or a lopsided one).
    But, if the "dickish" Strange is what you like, then I'll hep you to more of the same at the end of this posted comment.

Still... I do think you're off base on some of your assumptions.
    You reference supposed situations that may have happened once (if that) [your idea that he has some bizarre pseudo-buddhist/hindu referencing Deus Ex-Machina magic spell] and you state that he "always" has such things - which is patently not the case.

IF you mean that many of Doctor Strange's items of power are loosely based on religious/mystic items from Buddism/Hindu faiths - then, yes. Some of them were.
    The EYE of AGAMOTTO with it's ring of spheres is an homage to the Eye of Buddha with it's ring of "Martyr snails".
    The Wand of Watoomb is much like a double-headed Dorje - from Tibetan/Himalayan Buddism.
    But that's pretty much "it".

None of the spells or items are in any way intentionally "referencing bizarre pseudo-buddhist/hindu spells".
    It's all Stan Lee gobbledegook. Made up rhyme and meter.

Yes, Doc often spouts mystic gibberish to achieve whatever ends the writer has need of, and yes, he has - on occasion - whipped out some mystic item of power that is just what is needed to save the day... but he's not some steriotypical "wise mystic" character, spouting quotes from "Confucius". It just seems to me that your cursory description of "your" version of Dr. Strange is more in keeping with the "Strange Dr. Strange" from his first appearance in SuperHero Squad, or any number of the thankfully nearly-forgotten treatments of the character.

You're also WAAAY off base in stating that he is UNHEROIC. Strange could be one of the MOST heroic characters marvel has (outside of Spider-Man).
    You SHOULD go get the early ESSENTIALS and re-read the first few volumes.
    If, at the VERY least, make sure to read issues #130-146 of Strange Tales; the "Eternity saga".
    THAT is hand's down THE definitive "Dr. Strange" - by Ditko & Lee.
    (Other versions of Strange are excellent [ Englehart/Brunner, Englehart/Colan, Roger Stern/Paul Smith... all excellent! The perfect SINGLE issue is Doctor Strange; Master of the Mystic Arts # 55 - with Michael Golden art. Go seek those out as well!)

But, sadly, it seems that you've been exposed to much of the "wrong" type of writing of Doc (Matt Fraction's recent DEFENDERS, and ANYTHING by Bendis, among others).

Now, to help you out... I will lead you to a few stories that will probably fill your need for "your" Dr. Strange.

Go get "THOR: VIKINGS" mini series.
    It's actually good, and Doc is treated like a mild dandy in the David Niven vein. He's also a bit "out there" in it.

Also, you'll probably like "X-Statix presents: DEAD GIRL" mini series.
    Doc is seriously whacked out in that one.

BOTh of those are pretty good - albeit, offbeat treatments of the good Doctor.
    And don't let the titles fool you.
    DOC might not be the headline, but he IS the star!

Even "Doctor Strange: Flight of Bones" mini has a slightly dickish Dr. Strange in it (but not too much). And you'll probably like some of his "deux" spells (like turning windows to moths so that he can sail right through).

But for all-out manipulative Doctor Strange, you need to read the 2nd volume of Strange Tales (they recently released in in TPB) by Peter Gillis.

It is an arc that follows Strange in his loss of much of his power and abilities in using "white" magic, his being tutored by an old foe in the ways of "black" magic in order to defeat ancient evils that he had released, the ascension to the greatest levels of that dark magic, and then the long journey back to white magician.
    There's even Doc making human sacrifices!

Starting in DOCTOR STRANGE : MASTER OF THE MYSTIC ARTS # 75-81 (although if pressed, you could jump to issue # 79 and start there) continued to the end of that series with # 81, then continues in his next (shared) title; STRANGE TALES v2 from # 1 - 19. It then continues into Doc's new title; DOCTOR STRANGE : SORCERER SUPREME in issues # 1-2 (but technically doesn't fully wrap up until issue # 4).

Your "Cloak&Dagger team-up" is in there (and it will help explain WHY he did what he did).

Still, it seems that the two of us will be able to get our mutual fill of each of our own brands of Doctor Strange in Jonathan Hickman's NEW AVENGERS (Illuminati).
    Thus far, we have some serious dick moves by Doc, some darker handling and manipulation of others and some potential deux magic (and dark, dark, magic indeed).

So rejoice... with luck, this will be a "Strange... for ALL".
    Brilliant post! My new job starts soon and Ill be able to afford some of these. Thanks for the recommendations!

... Doc is treated like a mild dandy in the David Niven vein. He's also a bit "out there" in it.
    IMO, this is one of the key things that the writers have missed that's really screwed up the character. Anyone writing Dr. Strange needs to watch as many Vincent Price movies as they can get their little hands on.

Speaking of, Marvel guys, can we get these Strange stories in the digital comic store? I've started seeing more interest in the Doc, especially with the movie announcement for the next phase, but there's a serious lack of Dr. Strange on the interwebs.