Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

But then again, this is a younger and more rough Superman so I guess I can go with that ha.
    I think he's a good man. I like him. I got nothing against him, but I'm definitely gonna make orphans of his children.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kimchimafia View Post
    I think Superman has better ways of stopping crazy theorists than hurting them. Is he breaking the law by stopping people from hurting each other? I don't study law but I don't think that's against the law. Needlessly hurting them though, I think that's a yes. If you want to get creative then you could have Superman safely flying the endangered people to safety or letting himself block whatever hits the crazy people throw and then letting the police arresting them if Superman takes them to a station and etc... I'm not going to say there's anything wrong about someone stopping a man from beating his wife but I will call it out if Superman uses unnecessary force, considering how much power he has. Believe it or not, people regularly complain about the use of force of subduing a criminal and whether if it was the right amount or not. It would be much easier for people to call Superman out when he's more than capable of subduing him without roughing him up in the process. One guy trying to stop another guy from violence is bound to have some roughing up but an alien solar battery capable of lifting skyscrapers could just literally give him an unbreakable hug and fly him to the station.
    Well, if Superman lets the bad guy punching him, he is hurting him. It's like punching a wall of steel. The guy's going to break his hand on him. Plus, he can't fly him to the station. Superman, at this point, has no authority. The police isn't going to arrest some guy because some other random guy tells them he's a threat. He's not going to hug him forever. And he can't fly when the whole thing happens. Plus, all he did was break his ribs (possibly not on purpose). It's not like he went all Dark Knight on him ("He's Young. Maybe he will walk again someday.", that kinda stuff). It's a relatively minor injury, he's not maimed or mutilated, or anything.
    But yeah, at this point, we're all going in just for the sake of the argument. And we're slightly off topic.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Well, if Superman lets the bad guy punching him, he is hurting him. It's like punching a wall of steel. The guy's going to break his hand on him. Plus, he can't fly him to the station. Superman, at this point, has no authority. The police isn't going to arrest some guy because some other random guy tells them he's a threat. He's not going to hug him forever. And he can't fly when the whole thing happens. Plus, all he did was break his ribs (possibly not on purpose). It's not like he went all Dark Knight on him ("He's Young. Maybe he will walk again someday.", that kinda stuff). It's a relatively minor injury, he's not maimed or mutilated, or anything.
    But yeah, at this point, we're all going in just for the sake of the argument. And we're slightly off topic.
    Haha yeah I guess we are. We went from from Action Comics #19 to Superman hugging a criminal to the police station.
    I think he's a good man. I like him. I got nothing against him, but I'm definitely gonna make orphans of his children.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    With Morrison gone we may actually see that now. If last issue of Action is any indication we are heading in the right direction, I just hope who ever takes over follows the lead of the last issue.
    This is where we part ways on opinion. The Action Comics reboot of Superman was, IMO, the one misstep of Morrison's whole career. Its a shame because in every other instance he handled Superman so well, so much better than the writers of the regular titles were. But All Star Superman, JLA, We3, Seven Soldiers, his Batman stuff. It was all great. In retrospect, the problem is Morrison is too experimental for the assignment they gave him. You want a solid writer who is a bit more standard in his approach for a project like this, like Mark Waid or Geoff Johns. Take Morrison's ideas but put them in the hands of a writer who understands the fanbase.

I love Morrison's work for the most part but he has a problem creating story dynamics that other writers can use effectively after he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    He generally stays on the scene till the police arrive or, failing that, restrains the criminals which is something citizens could do if they catch a bad guy in the middle of a crime.

You know, I wish they would bring back the Golden Age Lois, because that's the real character, just like with Superman.

I want a Lois who is stuck writing the gossip column because that's the only job a woman can get at the Daily Star. Meanwhile, I want her to completely despise Clark for being a milquetoast while swooning at the sight of Superman. That's the gritty hard-edged take on Lois.

I also favor the Golden Age Jimmy who didn't have a name and was just a random voiceless red headed kid in the background, a Jimmy that is a postmodern deconstruction of extras in comic books.

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    It isn't a new origin or a retelling of his origin. I need to preface this next statement with; I could be totally wrong, but... I think DC asked Morrison for an encapsulation of the existence of Superman in the DCnU. "We want everything that ever happened to him up till now, in one year" (he negotiated for the extra time). He delivered that. It isn't the most coherent story, but it is a fun one that has all the good aspects of the character, in a short time. He's anti-establishment, he's a boy scout, he's a hero, he's torn between two worlds, and he's everything we want him to be without being Superdoom (but if you didn't get that explaining it to you isn't going to help).
    Well that's how you see it and that's fine. I see it as mumbo jumbo and a man who was giving the blueprint to the greatest hero of all time and decided to fill it with how he sees the world and a chance to rewrite history in his own image. Nothing worked for me here the more I read it. It all just takes a wrong turn from me from Clark being basically a kid, to the whole anti establishment view on things, to running around in a T shirt and Jeans while walking around in public with a hoodie or sweatshirt.This reminds me of early Spider-Man of a outcast kid trying to find his way. Well let me tell you Stan Lee did it 100 times better and Clark Kent is not Peter Parker nor should he ever be.
    Originally Posted by Francisco
    In a few years no one other that some aging fanboys like you would remember anything about the Donner film.

Welcome to The Lexrules Hall of Shame...

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KingDragonlord View Post
    You know, I wish they would bring back the Golden Age Lois, because that's the real character, just like with Superman.

I want a Lois who is stuck writing the gossip column because that's the only job a woman can get at the Daily Star. Meanwhile, I want her to completely despise Clark for being a milquetoast while swooning at the sight of Superman. That's the gritty hard-edged take on Lois.

I also favor the Golden Age Jimmy who didn't have a name and was just a random voiceless red headed kid in the background, a Jimmy that is a postmodern deconstruction of extras in comic books.
    Huh....Golden Age Lois wasn't stuck writing the gossip collums. At least not on a regular basis, and when she did, it was never implied that was because that was all she could do. She covered crimes, accidents natural disasters, and all that. You know, just like Clark Kent, and just like the Lois of most medias.
    And the "Jimmy" of the Golden Age wasn't Jimmy, but an unamed kid that happened to look coincidentally like him retrospectively. But it is well known that Jimmy actually appeared on the radio show, and that his physical appearance later on comes from Archie.
    So yeah, two strikes, two misses. Too bad.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."