Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default When Words Collide - Apr 1, 2013

This week, Tim answers questions about Jonathan Hickman's "Avengers," Grant Morrison's "Action Comics," the most overlooked series of the past decade and more!

Full article here.

LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    This week, Tim answers questions about Jonathan Hickman's "Avengers," Grant Morrison's "Action Comics," the most overlooked series of the past decade and more!

Full article here.
    "(2) "H-E-R-O," by Will Pfeifer and a bunch of artists, because it balanced short-term story arcs with a master plot and commented on the superhero genre while still making everything seem dangerous and uncertain" Ame. Still one of my favorites. I find myself re-reading it often.
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/

Agent of SHIELD/SWORD marvelprince's Avatar

I know I have the Wisdom series somewhere, cause I had heard good things about it but I don't think I ever read it. I need to track that down.

Tim, I say lock your 12 year old son in a room for a week with the X-Statix Omnibus.
    When he's through with it, reward him with Nextwave: Agents Of HATE.

Quote Originally Posted by IAMFeAR7 View Post
    Tim, I say lock your 12 year old son in a room for a week with the X-Statix Omnibus.
    When he's through with it, reward him with Nextwave: Agents Of HATE.
    YEs! then

Umbrella Academy and Batgirl Year One
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Great column, Tim. In the Overlooked column, I'd also place Will Pfeiffer and John Arcudi's Aquaman run - those Sub Diego stories were spiffy.

And I loved Doug Moench and Kelly Jones' Batman: Unseen, a wonderfully well written and creepily drawn mini series.
    Comic bletherings by me at: http://dangermart.blogspot.com/

I am having a lot of trouble with the Avengers books and I don't know if it is because I don't have any fondness for the New Universe idea. It looks pretty, but I don't find it very interesting.

But Shadowpact was easily one of my favorite books when it was being published - so it is pretty cool to see it mentioned again!

My question for Tim, have you read Bakuman? Because you said your son had read it, though its ending at vol 20 this summer. And I'm guessing you haven't? Because if you had, you probably woud have written an article by now, seeing as its the most intelligent and entertaining comic about comics ever published. It's exploding with ideas about new concepts for comics, what readers want, and how various editors can help or hurt vairous creative talents, and how various creative talents can rise and fall based on their own strenghts and weaknesses. Truly a masterwork of all comicdom. And, it's very fun to read, unlike many other comics about comics.

unwshd & smwht slitly dzd Schmakt's Avatar

I really loved that Human Target series as well... that was my first introduction to the character... Was pretty let down by the campy tv show and weak mini-series that came with it. They were good for what they were, but they were nothing like the Human Target I thought I knew from the Vertigo series.
    No one responds to street art anymore.
    People tend to respond to things like loaded guns in their faces.

That and celebrity spokesmodels.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightwing8782 View Post
    I am having a lot of trouble with the Avengers books and I don't know if it is because I don't have any fondness for the New Universe idea. It looks pretty, but I don't find it very interesting.

But Shadowpact was easily one of my favorite books when it was being published - so it is pretty cool to see it mentioned again!
    I (an avowed techno-babble-phobe) am quite the opposite.
    The difference I see between Hickman's New Avengers and TDWFH's Illuminati is one of consequence. Apart from one or two events, the latter's stories just did not seem that important...as individual stories in and of themselves or in the grande scheme of things. They come across as quite superficial, at least to me.

Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers on the other hand seem to carry more weight and greater depth.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

Has your son read Atomic Robo? It's not squarely a humor comic, but it's about as good a mix of humor and action as you'll find out there today.