Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    It's the usual 24 pages an issue, plus a lettercol, which may be used for sketches, etc.

I would have assumed it'd be a 32 page package, and we'd simply have fewer ads than most.

But it was a $3.99 book before, and it still is; the only way to make it $2.99 would be to cut it to 20 page stories.

kdb
    I see. Thanks for answering Kurt. And if there is one book I'm willing to pay $4, it's new Astro City.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Funny, Astro City does NOT strike me as a "Mature Readers" title.
    I suppose that depends on how you define mature storytelling. Astro City has always presented 3-dimensional, complex characters that feel very real despite their superhero powers and more fantastic elements. I'd say that the level of emotion presented in the stories is far more mature than a lot of what can be found in superhero comics.

It doesn't possess the swearing, graphic violence and sex that often passes for "mature readers" comics, but the emotional complexity of, say, "The Nearness of You" from Astro City 1/2 shows just how mature and intelligent Astro City is.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

to be fair to some other titles, it does require a bit of maturity to understand what NOT to take away from explicit content

but anyway, new interview on getting into the world of Astro City

http://www.newsarama.com/17778-busie...w-ongoing.html
    4/9: Iron Fist, Flash Gordon, Doop, Magnus, Superboy, Shutter, Judge Dredd, Ghost Rider, Secret Avengers, X-Factor

This thread inspired me to finally check out Astro City, and I bought the first trade (Life in the Big City) yesterday, and finished it this morning. It's really a fantastic book. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

Yeah, I finally caved this weekend and bought Family Album & Tarnished Angel HCs at my LCS. I was planning on holding out for the re-released DC printings.
    I was worried they may include new content and such, but couldn't wait any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Yeah, I finally caved this weekend and bought Family Album & Tarnished Angel HCs at my LCS. I was planning on holding out for the re-released DC printings.
    I was worried they may include new content and such, but couldn't wait any longer.
    will dc be re-releasing the books? the stores here are missing some of the trades, and the ocd behavior in me will scream at the book shelves for a missing volume!

Quote Originally Posted by lex1126 View Post
    will dc be re-releasing the books? the stores here are missing some of the trades, and the ocd behavior in me will scream at the book shelves for a missing volume!
    Yeah, pretty sure they have begun doing so. Life in the Big City was re-released recently, and I believe the intention is to continue doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Yeah, pretty sure they have begun doing so. Life in the Big City was re-released recently, and I believe the intention is to continue doing so.
    I'm beginning to doubt this. The "Life In The Big City" re-release was a year or so ago (I think?), and there haven't been any solicitations for further volumes since.

But I do hope you're right. Maybe they're just waiting for the ongoing to launch first...?

You're Talkin' Gibberish! Kurt Busiek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I'm beginning to doubt this. The "Life In The Big City" re-release was a year or so ago (I think?), and there haven't been any solicitations for further volumes since.
    Actually, FAMILY ALBUM was solicited, but then they changed their mind, because...

Maybe they're just waiting for the ongoing to launch first...?
    ...that's exactly what they're waiting for.

kdb
    Visit Busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Actually, FAMILY ALBUM was solicited, but then they changed their mind, because...

kdb
    thanks kurt! i'll trade wait this series then! looking forward!

kdb
    Sweet! I must've missed that solicit since I wasn't really paying attention until this new series was announced. I've since picked up "Life In The Big City" and am eagerly awaiting more...

You're Talkin' Gibberish! Kurt Busiek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Sweet! I must've missed that solicit since I wasn't really paying attention until this new series was announced.
    Which is probably why they took this approach. More people will be paying attention after June.

I've since picked up "Life In The Big City" and am eagerly awaiting more...
    Glad you liked it!

kdb
    Visit Busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

I'll be a new Astro City reader this June. Well, earlier because I ordered the new printing of the first trade from Amazon. Looking forward to this.
    Spider-Man from the beginning! Last ish: ASM #15 - Chameleon hires Kraven (first appearance!) to kill Spidey.

Mr. Busiek,
    I only started reading Astro City recently, and am quite amazed at the breadth of the universe you created. It's so exciting to see a universe grow before my eyes, and really compare how it could stand on its own.

Has there ever been an interest on your end, or from others, to allow for spin-off series featuring a solo-title, or the Honor Guard, maybe even written by someone else?
    Would that level of expansion appeal to you or is it more of a turn-off?

Thank you.

Edit: A closer look at wikipedia does indicate that Shining Stars collects 1-2 issue mini-series focusing on solo characters.