Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Do we know if it's going to be a rebooted series or has everything in the previous volumes still occurred ?

You're Talkin' Gibberish! Kurt Busiek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heroid View Post
    I'm so much looking forward to this! Notice to DCU and Marvel U creators -- you're about to be schooled once again in how a superhero comic should be done!
    I'd say there isn't any one way a superhero comic should be done, and I sure wouldn't want all superhero books to read like ASTRO CITY. But I'm glad you're looking forward to it.

kdb
    Visit Busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by kolejorg View Post
    Do we know if it's going to be a rebooted series or has everything in the previous volumes still occurred ?
    No reboot. All of what's come before has still come before.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    No reboot. All of what's come before has still come before.

kdb
    Do I need to track down and read all that's come before, or will this be a good jumping-on point?

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

It's a good jumping point. All the Astro stories are stand alones. it's great to read them all because it gives you a sense of feeling of Astro's world but you can easily pick any up without knowledge of what came before.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Couple things Mr. Busiek:

1. I'm thoroughly excited about Astro's release and I'm glad to read you're feeling better.

2. Thank you so much for being open to your fans; on here, Facebook and formspring (sad to see that site go).
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Do I need to track down and read all that's come before, or will this be a good jumping-on point?
    You can jump on fine.

Hopefully, it'll make you WANT to read all that's come before.

kdb

You can jump on fine.

kdb
    Astro City is a complex series, but amazingly, it is probably the easiest series to jump into that you'll find these days. And, yes, you will want to read more.

I'll be picking Astro City up for the first time come June, I'm really looking forward to it, but the completist in me, wants to go back and get everything that has come before, will see, it depends on the cost of these back issue's.

You can jump on fine.

kdb
    My wallet doesn't like that sound of that...

Kurt, I just have to say again I love your books. I've been reading them with my daughter, this is her first comic book, and she can't get enough of them. I read them originally years ago and I'm thrilled to see it coming back. My daughter wants to know, and so do I, where is Astro City supposed to be at? Anyways thank you again.

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

Responding to new readers, who're concerned for their finances and buying all the previous Astro City issues/books: I -very- rarely ever say this, but I believe this is one instance where the quality--and the consistent quality!--of this title will well justify the expenditure. (I think the last time I said this, it was about Usagi Yojimbo, when it began its Dark Horse publication--!). As always, tastes differ, but if you're dissatisfied with volume one; skip the rest and try the new series. But I really don't imagine anyone buying earlier issues will be dissatisfied at all..!
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

Quick question, Kurt: I notice that the solicits for both issues lists them as $4 for 40 pages, which is obviously perfectly reasonable, but just out of curiosity will that be 30 story pages an issue or is that space for a back up story and/ or extra material.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by kolejorg View Post
    Kurt, I just have to say again I love your books. I've been reading them with my daughter, this is her first comic book, and she can't get enough of them. I read them originally years ago and I'm thrilled to see it coming back. My daughter wants to know, and so do I, where is Astro City supposed to be at? Anyways thank you again.
    All I can say is, there's internal evidence that'll make it pretty clear. Especially in the VISITOR'S GUIDE.

But it's something I'll let readers figure out, or not, as the case may be.

kdb

Quote Originally Posted by Ilash View Post
    Quick question, Kurt: I notice that the solicits for both issues lists them as $4 for 40 pages, which is obviously perfectly reasonable, but just out of curiosity will that be 30 story pages an issue or is that space for a back up story and/ or extra material.
    It's the usual 24 pages an issue, plus a lettercol, which may be used for sketches, etc.

I would have assumed it'd be a 32 page package, and we'd simply have fewer ads than most.

But it was a $3.99 book before, and it still is; the only way to make it $2.99 would be to cut it to 20 page stories.

kdb