Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Star Trek EU VS Star Wars EU

Which one do you enjoy more?

SW EU has a ton of retcons and downright contradictions. Star Trek EU has more inconsistencies than SW but you can pick the books that are in continuity with eachother and the movies. Also there are more Trek books than SW.

I like most of the SW EU, but I hate how there's always some new superweapon to one-up the Death Star. And many of them aren't something newly made or discovered, they're supposed to have always been there. Like Centerpoint. A space station bigger than the first Death Star that can reach across the galaxy to move and destroy fleets, planets, STARS you name it, yet Palpatine never seemed to bother to try and make it work for him instead of building something new and far less powerful.
    Hey! No one's asking you to smell it.

BANNED

I just sort of roll with it. I think of Luke just an another hero in a long line of heroes that saved the galaxy instead of the Hero. As far as the Death Star being overshadowed, it does not really bother me.

This belongs in another forum - moving. :)

Edit: OP talks about books, it gets moved to books. ^_^

I tried some books of the Star Wars EU and for the most part i was disappointed by how poorly written most of it was.

BANNED

Which books dissapointed you?

Somewhere over the rainbow (or Paris, France)

SW EU was a blast with the role playing game by West End Games. The amount of precision that you dindn't know you wanted was exceptional. The books by Bantam were ok but not really enthousiasming after the initial trilogy by Zhan.
    Then came Del Rey and the New Jedi Order. Big big saga that wasn't scare of taking risks and expended the universe like no other book before. Really great.
    With the Dark Nest Trilogy and Legacy of the Force, it seemed that good ideas were gone for the Skywalker/Solo family and we had some very bad moves. So bad that I even didn't try Fate of the Jedi saga.
    We still have some good stories with Coruscant Nights (it could have been so much better if they stuck with the Noir idea) and downright silliness with the Deathtrooper thing.

ST EU seems much less constructed. All books can be read in any order and we don't have a sense of continuity between them. There are some trilogies ans such but there are all selfcontained. It is great for casual reader but for those who seek a saga feeling, it is mostly lacking.
    The New Frontier books by Peter David are great and give the feeling of one grand saga.
    The amount of books is huge and written by many authors (even Laurell K. Hamilton if you can believe it) so you get a lot of diversity.

If you want to read a saga, go with Star Wars.
    If you want to read self-contained stories, go to Star Trek.
    The Unwritten - iZombie
    Frankenstein Agent of SHADE - Batwoman - The Flash - Captain Atom
    X Factor - Beasts of Burden - Star Wars Invasion - Witch Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Shikidum View Post
    Star Trek EU has more inconsistencies than SW but you can pick the books that are in continuity with eachother and the movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide Kid
    If you want to read self-contained stories, go to Star Trek.
    Neither have been true for quite awhile.

For the past ten years or so, the Trek books have been very consistent with one another. The books in the post-original series era in particular (The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager), tend to be very much connected these days through shared events and characters leaving one series and joining another. Even the prequel series, Enterprise gets into the act with more and more references to it appearing in other titles, making the Trek EU extremely cohesive these days. You almost have to go back to when Gene Roddenberry was still alive when Trek books frequently contradicted each other because they were meant to all be standalone self-contained books.

The Trek EU has made a number of major status quo shakeups in TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT including:
    spoilers:

• The Federation and Starfleet being decimated by an all-out assault by the Borg
    • Picard and Crusher getting married and having a child
    • Worf becoming first officer of the Enterprise-E and now being considered for a command of his own
      The death of Admiral Kathryn Janeway
    • The destruction of Space Station Deep Space Nine
    • The Voyager leading a fleet of Starfleet slipstream ships back to the Delta Quadrant
    • The continuation of ENT after the formation of the Federation

end of spoilers
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

BANNED

Rawhide:
    With the Dark Nest Trilogy and Legacy of the Force, it seemed that good ideas were gone for the Skywalker/Solo family and we had some very bad moves. So bad that I even didn't try Fate of the Jedi saga.
    We still have some good stories with Coruscant Nights (it could have been so much better if they stuck with the Noir idea) and downright silliness with the Deathtrooper thing.
    They are changed their focus with books like the Into the Void, Scoundrels, Scourge and Aniinhilation. Those times when Lotf and FOTJ dominated the bookshelves are over.

I really liked the Zahn Thrawn books. Then the super weapon of the month books came. The New Jedi Order was great, but I think Legacy of the Force was trying to rehash the Prequels and they got obsessed with killing everyone.
    Upon his lips the taste of pain
    venom kiss of love insane
    he's got a rod beneath his coat
    he's gonna ram right down your throat
    make your grovel on the floor
    spit up and scream and beg for more

BANNED

Repeating:

They are changed their focus with books like the Into the Void, Scoundrels, Scourge and Aniinhilation. Those times when Lotf and FOTJ dominated the bookshelves are over.

Senior Member I'm Not Daredevil's Avatar

Anyone here read Star Wars: Darth Plagueis?

BANNED

I certainly did.

Senior Member I'm Not Daredevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shikidum View Post
    I certainly did.
    How did you like it? It's my favorite Star Wars EU novel so far.

Gotta wonder how the new films will affect these books. As far as I know apart from Countdown and the comics, there have been no regular novels set in the new movies Star Trek timeline, although I'm not sure what other plans Abrams and his writers have for the novel line. Also the Star Wars novels still feature Luke/Han/Leia and their families, which is material the Disney sequel trilogy will likely cover. A good deal of the novel's canon has been overwritten already by the "Clone Wars" cartoon, although that was a Lucas project before Disney.