Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

As a start to what could be a very memorable HOF class, Joe Torre, Tony La Russa and Bobby Cox were all unanimously voted into the HOF as managers by the expansion era committee.

All three had 2000+wins, and are 3-5 on the list of most wins as a manager in MLB history.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Roy "Doc" Halladay brought a 16-year career to a close with his official retirement presser yesterday. In 12 years with Toronto (he signed a one day contract to retire as a Blue Jay) and four with my Phillies, Halladay amassed a record of 203-105, highlighted by a perfect game against Miami in 2010, followed by no-hitting Cincinnati in the postseason that same year. While his last two years with the Phils were marred by injuries, Doc will always be remembered by me as one of THE most fierce competitors ever to take the hill. He will be missed, but I hope he'll be enshrined in Cooperstown five years from now.
    "We're from Philadelphia, and we fight."
    ---Chip Kelly, Head Coach, Philadelphia Eagles

STL Cardinals sign Mark Ellis to a one-year deal. (should have added "pending physical")

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...th-mark-ellis/

Should be a nice compliment to Kolten Wong. It'll be interesting to see if it will be a platoon situation.
    Last edited by CenturianSpy; 12-16-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: pending physical
    SHSO NAME: Gallant Centurion Spy
    Next "Most Wanted": Weekend Holidays

FF purist-snob

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Roy "Doc" Halladay brought a 16-year career to a close with his official retirement presser yesterday. In 12 years with Toronto (he signed a one day contract to retire as a Blue Jay) and four with my Phillies, Halladay amassed a record of 203-105, highlighted by a perfect game against Miami in 2010, followed by no-hitting Cincinnati in the postseason that same year. While his last two years with the Phils were marred by injuries, Doc will always be remembered by me as one of THE most fierce competitors ever to take the hill. He will be missed, but I hope he'll be enshrined in Cooperstown five years from now.
    I agree. Doc's both a class act and a fearsome competitor. I still remember seeing the one hitter against Detroit way, way back.

I think Cooperstown is definitely in his future.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar

It's a good signing in the short term, and they should get "value" in years 1-3 of that contract, but years 4-7 they may regret the length of that contract. Still he was the best remaining option out there, and they had to do something as they have fallen short the past few years. However, I think both of their major acquisitions this year (Fielder and Choo) are on the wrong side of the peak of their careers, and Beltre may get a lot of IBB this year when facing southpaws on the mound. The Rangers will still be in the AL Wet mix for the next few years, but the moves they made do not make them clear favorites in that division, and kept them an old team despite the arrival of Profar to the team.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

As far as Doc goes, he SHOULD make the Hall, but he may face trouble with a portion of the voters, he lacks the numbers part that certain voters look at, especially for pitchers, 203 wins is the big low number, only Sandy Koufax had gotten in with less post WW2. So basically he'll probably get in, but it may very well not be on the first ballot(in addition to the numbers thing he'll be dealing with the voters who simply don't vote for first ballot names). The Baseball HOF is a very prickly thing.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link