Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Age of Ultron, #3

Brian Michael Bendis and Bryan Hitch's "Age of Ultron" continues to move at a glacial pace, but issue #3 is also missing any visual sense of wonder that was present earlier.

Full review here.

I am honestly shocked. All these big-name review sites LOVE Bendis's work. A 1/5 here, and a 6/10 from Newsarama.

Makes me re-think the credibility of this site. I just hope they don't lose AiC for this!

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBodyAtCBR View Post
    I am honestly shocked. All these big-name review sites LOVE Bendis's work. A 1/5 here, and a 6/10 from Newsarama.

Makes me re-think the credibility of this site. I just hope they don't lose AiC for this!
    It's really not unanimous though. IGN gave it 8/10 and Comicvine gave it 4/5.

I take the reviewer's point, but I don't think it merits 1/5. I'm still really enjoying the world Bendis is fashioning and the tone of the book. And that last page reveal was great. I'd probably give it around a 3/10 or a 7-7.5/10
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

Its a fair review:

The pacing *sucks* & Hitch is not being used to his potential = bad writing, bad art = bad comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin King View Post
    It's really not unanimous though. IGN gave it 8/10 and Comicvine gave it 4/5.

I take the reviewer's point, but I don't think it merits 1/5. I'm still really enjoying the world Bendis is fashioning and the tone of the book. And that last page reveal was great. I'd probably give it around a 3/10 or a 7-7.5/10
    Don't trust IGN. For anything. You'll thank me later. Source: 25-Year old video gamer with 13 years of Internet experience.

Wow.... I guess the honeymoon is over.

If this event flops, do you think it could turn the tide away from ultra-decompressed storylines?

Quote Originally Posted by chariset View Post

If this event flops, do you think it could turn the tide away from ultra-decompressed storylines?
    I'm a little over decompression, I was re-reading some events from the 80's and they packed a heck of a lot into a series.

The best and only good part of the whole issue -hell, of the whole 3 issues so far!- is Taskmaster saying "I'm not going to call you Red Hulk so I've decided to call you Dave."
    That actually made me laugh out loud.

Everything is taking way too long. I'm not fan of Hitch at all and even I agree that he can do so much better than this.
    I wouldn't be surprised if even HE got bored and that's why the whole thing was delayed for so long and he ended up getting replaced.

I'm gonna keep reading because it's Ultron, but so far it's complete garbage.

I think there are always going to be a market for different kinds of storytelling. So I doubt things will ever completely go one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think there are always going to be a market for different kinds of storytelling. So I doubt things will ever completely go one way or the other.
    Depending on how this resolves, this could be a helluva trade.

But Bendis isn't known for his endings...

Depending on how this resolves, this could be a helluva trade.

Given how much hype the unguessable ending is getting, I'm sure it will end up anti-climactic. That's not to say I think it will be bad... but it probably won't be able to live up to the hype. Really, you can say that more most events.

But I do think for what it's worth, Bendis events do read pretty well in trade form. So I'll wager whatever problems people have with the singles will be largely watered down when it's read as a whole, the same way most Bendis events (IMO at least) do.

In this case, because it's a more self contained event really I think people can trade wait it without feeling out of the loop or anything. So far it's more of a side story thing.

You're right. House of M didn't do squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctuh View Post
    I'm a little over decompression, I was re-reading some events from the 80's and they packed a heck of a lot into a series.
    I was astounded to find out that Days of Future Past -- one of the most acclaimed "events" of all time was only 2 issues long. You know how much media, not just comic books, have borrowed from or homage that story? It's astounding.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBodyAtCBR View Post
    I was astounded to find out that Days of Future Past -- one of the most acclaimed "events" of all time was only 2 issues long. You know how much media, not just comic books, have borrowed from or homage that story? It's astounding.
    We were just talking about this at my comic shop the other day. I've read a few X-Men stories over the years, but not that one and was amazed to find out how short it was.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

I've soured on Bendis' writing quite a bit, but I should say that I thought "Spidermen" was a nice little event. Maybe if Marvel's yearly "epic" wasn't ten issues long, I'd buy it.

Decompression may have a place in some ongoing series, maybe.