Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sam Humphries creates Monica Chang, 616-Verse.

Avengers A.I - New Avengers team

Humphries departs his writing gig on Ultimate Comics: Ultimates in May, but is bringing Monica Chang over from that book and introducing her to the original-recipe Marvel Universe in Avengers A.I.

She won't be the director of S.H.I.E.L.D. here, though. Instead, Monica is a part of the secret agency's artificial-intelligence program and has been anticipating this A.I. evolution for a while.

With maintaining the security of the world her primary mission, she'll have an interesting dynamic with the rest of the group, especially Hank and Vision.
    I have nothing good to say about this, so instead of having Plawksy edit my post, i just brought the news.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Avengers A.I - New Avengers team

I have nothing good to say about this, so instead of having Plawksy edit my post, i just brought the news.
    I'm disappointed Mark Waid's tie-in A.I. book then won't be Ultimates related. If ever there was an established writer whose work seemed to fit the current Ultimates universe, isn't it Mark Waid?

They way that story is worded is confusing, is the UU Chang leaping to 616 or will there be a UU Chang and a 616 Chang?
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    They way that story is worded is confusing, is the UU Chang leaping to 616 or will there be a UU Chang and a 616 Chang?
    I don't believe so. He mentions she has an AI and electronics background, which doesn't sound like Ultimate Monica.

If I remember correctly, Geldoff from Ultimate Spider-Man had a 616 counterpart as well, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    It's a Mainstream counterpart that has the same name and is an agent of SHIELD. Shows how much Humphries cares about Ultimate backstory, he just makes things up to work for his own personal story.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    If I remember correctly, Geldoff from Ultimate Spider-Man had a 616 counterpart as well, right?
    He did briefly. Slott (I think it was Slott) introduced him during his Avengers: the Initiative run deliberately to kill him off when they faced off against the inmates of the N-Zone prison.

It's a Mainstream counterpart that has the same name and is an agent of SHIELD. Shows how much Humphries cares about Ultimate backstory, he just makes things up to work for his own personal story.
    Ummm...why exactly does that matter? If he just made her the same as her Ultimate backstory, there would be no point. And if it weren't for complete differences between 616 and Ultimate backstory, we wouldn't have Ultimate versions of:

-The Leader
    -Baron Zemo
    -Jessica Jones
    -Spider-woman
    -The Defenders
    -Vision
    -etc, etc... I'm sure we could come up with a really long list here if it was necessary.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

It matters to me, because i liked the exclusive elements created by Mark Millar and Jonathan Hickman, i mean, what do you think it would be like if Hickman suddenly re-introduced his take on Tian on Avengers? It would just be salt to the wounds that was his departure from Ultimate Marvel. X(
    My Blog

It matters to me, because i liked the exclusive elements created by Mark Millar and Jonathan Hickman, i mean, what do you think it would be like if Hickman suddenly re-introduced his take on Tian on Avengers? It would just be salt to the wounds that was his departure from Ultimate Marvel. X(
    If it's a different take - then what's the problem? That's what having these universes is all about. It's no different than how Bendis introduced Jessica Jones, Maria Hill, and Layla Miller to the Ultimate Universe, all characters he created. And while Hickman obviously didn't create Reed Richards, he used Ultimate Reed as a continuation of the themes he explored with his Fantastic Four run.

BANNED

If a writer other than Humphries was writing her into the 616 universe, I'd be very disappointed. But Humphries is going to be writing her so I'm ok with it. What could Humphries possibly write in the 616 universe that would hurt the UU?

Maybe the 616 Monica Chang could have a child with the new 616 Nick Fury.

Poor Drz, so butthurt about a comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    If it's a different take - then what's the problem? That's what having these universes is all about.
    The problem for me is how it just keeps making Ultimate Marvel less unique when concepts, characters, stories and so on are taken from it and incorporating it to 616. I mean, would you like to see James Hudson, Miles Morales also being incorporated to 616-verse? Yeah, i know Peter googled Miles Morales, but you get my point!

+ It's Humphries, that's a big factor to me.
    My Blog

So again Ultimates is used as a holding pen for a 616 Avengers writer, and this time not even a good one. At this point I'd honestly be shocked if Fialkov didn't have an Avengers book with his name on it in 12 months.

That said Hickman's Avengers is stunning, but after Humphries' Ultimates catastrophe, I'll give A.I a pass.
    "Predictable? If there were any more plot twists going on, we'd need M. Night Shyamalan to randomly appear at the end saying 'What a twist' before vanishing". - Kurolegacy on Ult X-Men #8.

The problem for me is how it just keeps making Ultimate Marvel less unique when concepts, characters, stories and so on are taken from it and incorporating it to 616. I mean, would you like to see James Hudson, Miles Morales also being incorporated to 616-verse? Yeah, i know Peter googled Miles Morales, but you get my point!
    It wouldn't bother me one bit if Jimmy or Miles had a 616 counterpart. Monica Chang is hardly a big piece of what makes the UU unique. Besides - your initial complaint was that there was "no respect for her Ultimate backstory," yet by making her very different, it keeps the UU version more unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Morentez View Post
    So again Ultimates is used as a holding pen for a 616 Avengers writer, and this time not even a good one
    Yeah, but that has alot more to do with Avengers being Marvel's brand to sell comics, if this was the 90s we'd see Hickman and Humphries on an X-Men title, or Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    yet by making her very different, it keeps the UU version more unique.
    I think my wording is just awful, good engrish right? The thing is, Humphries clearly has no interest on Monica Chang as a character outside of her ascociation with SHIELD, so here we have a blatant 616-SHIELD agent named Chang who just happens to be a big shot at a specifc SHIELD section, why? Character Fan Wank. :
    My Blog