Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spider Powered Time Lord Spider-Mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agramugl View Post
    The most unbelievable part? Him sewing his costume together. It's one thing if you're a science nerd and you get screwed up by radiation. It's another to know how to sew. Who taught him?
    I believe I read somewhere that Aunt May taught him when he was a kid.
    SPIDER-MAN: Hey there, my name's Spider-Man, and this is my trusty sidekick Wolverine!
    WOLVERINE: *Growls*
    (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes)

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Mike View Post
    I believe I read somewhere that Aunt May taught him when he was a kid.
    lol, that makes sense. I probably forgot that part. >___<

Still, for me, none of the origin really felt unbelievable in the universe it took place in. After all, cosmic rays could turn you into a walking rock. A radioactive spider bite seemed downright plausible in that context.

Spider Powered Time Lord Spider-Mike's Avatar

lol, that makes sense. I probably forgot that part. >___<

Still, for me, none of the origin really felt unbelievable in the universe it took place in. After all, cosmic rays could turn you into a walking rock. A radioactive spider bite seemed downright plausible in that context.
    Happened to my pal Ted just last week
    SPIDER-MAN: Hey there, my name's Spider-Man, and this is my trusty sidekick Wolverine!
    WOLVERINE: *Growls*
    (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes)

Quote Originally Posted by XxSnakeProxX View Post
    Honestly, the part where Peter sees the burglar and immediately learns from his mistake and finds his purpose. That's what I loved about the new Spidey film. Yes, you would blame yourself, but that blame and anger would lead to a desire for revenge, ESPECIALLY from an adolescent.
    That, I think, is a really interesting point. One I'd never thought about or questioned before.

But, I think you're onto something. Was Pete's behaviour after that key event really consistent with what could be reasonably expected?

Presently I'm a fence sitter on that. Yes, I think its likely that Uncle Ben's death would change Pete permanently, and most likely for the better (given Pete's basic character and upbringing). But... my over whelming impression of Pete in his earliest adventures is somebody having a whole lot of fun, without a shred of any guilt complex. That total absence of any guilt showing through is really not consistent with the origin.

So... I think you may be right to suggest that aspect is not really convincing. If so... its a bigger issue than any I raised. (Mind you I read Spider-Man's earliest stories many years ago, so wouldn't be remotely surprised if my memory of him as having no hang ups was simply wrong.)
    Last edited by jackdaw53; 03-29-2013 at 11:46 AM.

The most unbelievable part? Him sewing his costume together. It's one thing if you're a science nerd and you get screwed up by radiation. It's another to know how to sew. Who taught him?
    Darn you beat me to it. Just had a soak in the bath, and exactly that aspect came to me.

Just think how a modern decompressed origin might have dealt with that point. We'd have had at least two issues on how the suit got sewn together. I was plotting it out in the bath.... having a chuckle at scene where Aunt May questioned Pete on why he'd decided to enrol in a sewing machine class.

Still nice to think that if Pete ever gets tired of super heroics that he could find a job running up dresses for Stella McCartney.

The super powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    Inventions

Pete invented that magnetic inverter thingamajig to defeat the Vulture in ASM 2.
    Pete created a binding agent to fuse Doc Ock's arms together in ASM 3.
    Pete created the Spider-Tracer and later figured out a way to tune it in to his spider sense.
    Pete has consistently shown ingenuity in overcoming more powerful enemies. (Using a vacuum to defeat Sandman in ASM 4, etc.)

And, over the years, Pete has been shown to be a very bright guy, often using his brains to win. I don't see where the inconsistency is there.

Mask

This explanation is from ASM Annual 1. The white parts are special one-way mirror type lenses.

Yea early on Peter was using his head to create things pretty consistently. One of the funnier things I've found is his asbestos webbing. If only he knew the weapon he'd created!
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    The least convincing aspect? That it was a spider that bit him and not some other kind of radio-active critter.

I mean, look at his powers...
    Super strength, or the proportional strength of a spider? Most insects have strength like that.
    Agility, reflexes? Again, not really spider traits.
    Sticking to walls? Even gekkos and some frogs can do that.
    Spider sense? Spiders don't even have that.

Now, spinning webs, that would be a power almost unique to spiders. But he didn't get that power. He might as well go calling himself Grasshopper-Man or Ant-Man.
    This is why I preferred Organic Webbing

I mean he have the powers that every insects commonly have, he should just called himself "Bug-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Knight View Post
    This is why I preferred Organic Webbing

I mean he have the powers that every insects commonly have, he should just called himself "Bug-Man"
    Yes, think that (organic webbing) is a good idea.

Back to more trivial aspects. (My advice... by way.... is to never soak in bath pondering the details of Spidey's origin. Every time I do I come up with another niggle.) Even small details... that look so simple when reading start looking less likely after thought.

Like his vision suddenly becoming perfect. Is swapping glass lenses for plain glass really so easy? And does nobody ever notice?

And talking about "not noticing". Pete lives in a small house with Aunt May in early adventures, and keeps disappearing via his bedroom window for long periods. Is it really likely that Aunt May wouldn't notice anything amiss? If not... all I can see Aunt May was a bit less sharp than my dear old mum was.

After giving this thread a bit of thought, I've come up with... nothing. Discounting the usual suspension of disbelief for super hero origins (super powers, costume, ridiculous coincidences, etc.), I'm left thinking that Spidey has probably the best origin of any super hero out there. Superman, Batman, Wolverine, Hulk, Cap - I don't think any of their origins hold a candle to Spidey's.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    Yea early on Peter was using his head to create things pretty consistently. One of the funnier things I've found is his asbestos webbing. If only he knew the weapon he'd created!
    Ha! Yeah! Look out, here comes the Spider-Man... he'll give you cancer in 10 to 15 years!

Just imagine what he could do with lead paint webbing.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

is this topic limited to only his spider bite and his webshooters or even other aspects like his living conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik B View Post
    is this topic limited to only his spider bite and his webshooters or even other aspects like his living conditions?
    No, fire away with any thought you want to throw in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    Inventions

Pete invented that magnetic inverter thingamajig to defeat the Vulture in ASM 2.
    Pete created a binding agent to fuse Doc Ock's arms together in ASM 3.
    Pete created the Spider-Tracer and later figured out a way to tune it in to his spider sense.
    Pete has consistently shown ingenuity in overcoming more powerful enemies. (Using a vacuum to defeat Sandman in ASM 4, etc.)

And, over the years, Pete has been shown to be a very bright guy, often using his brains to win. I don't see where the inconsistency is there.

Mask

This explanation is from ASM Annual 1. The white parts are special one-way mirror type lenses.

I think Peter Parker, The Teen Genius may be a remnant of Jack Kirby's influence. According to Steve Ditko, "Peter Parker" was "already there" by the time he got on board. And to me, the early Pete was a LOT like Swifty Chase, the good-hearted Teen Genius from Simon & Kirby's MY DATE. This kid was such a genius he designed a portable helicopter! In fact, I read a web article by a guy who theorized that the "Capsule" story from AMSM #1 may have originally been based on a plot intended for Amazing Fantasy #15--his theory was that a runaway rocket plot sounds more like a "Kirby" story than a "Ditko" one. Maybe, maybe not but there are definite similarities between Parker and Chase. Chase preferred tinkering around with his gadgets than hangin' out with the ladies! Hmmmm?
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

I think the way Brian Bendis did the origin in Ultimate Spider-Man is very good and actually should apply to the 616. He made the web fluid from his fathers formula.

Also, the idea that his powers came from a radiactive spider is very passť. It made sense in the 60's. Not it has to be more like the USM version. Something to do with bio-engineering. JMS tried to work around this with the whole "did the spider bite have the powers because of the radioactivty or because it always had them?".
    Facebook page dedicated to short films! - https://www.facebook.com/shortstuffmovies

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

This more applies to the later origins, when he's using his powers before he realizes what the deal is. Like how the movies have him backflip around during regular fights.

Quote Originally Posted by XxSnakeProxX View Post
    Honestly, the part where Peter sees the burglar and immediately learns from his mistake and finds his purpose. That's what I loved about the new Spidey film. Yes, you would blame yourself, but that blame and anger would lead to a desire for revenge, ESPECIALLY from an adolescent.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Even after Ben dies, he contemplates using his powers to commit crime, so I wouldn't say he immediately found his purpose.
    4/9: Iron Fist, Flash Gordon, Doop, Magnus, Superboy, Shutter, Judge Dredd, Ghost Rider, Secret Avengers, X-Factor