Default So Much Potential Untapped.

Last night our family watched Superman Returns and we were pretty much bummed out that DC Comics has seemingly abandoned the untapped potential in the story of Superman's son Jason. It's also really upsetting that we don't get to see what was going to become of the Neo Krypton that Kal-El flew into orbit upon Earth before plummeting back to Earth near the gates of death due to his prolonged exposure to the extreme amounts of Kryptonite. There is truly so much untapped potential that was established towards the end of Superman Returns that it's plain upsetting.

I highly doubt if Zack Snyder will return to these elements in his Man of Steel Trilogy but I definitely hope that instead of focusing solely on Lex Luthor that he will turn the spotlight on the new villain H'el because I really like what we witnessed in the H'el On Earth arc which spanned the excellent New 52 issues of Superman, Supergirl and Superboy. There is a lot of info online that indicates that Zack Snyder was going to focus on Brainiac in the Superman Returns sequel. I also wonder if Zack Snyder will feature Supergirl or Superboy in his Trilogy?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTailor View Post
    Last night our family watched Superman Returns and we were pretty much bummed out that DC Comics has seemingly abandoned the untapped potential in the story of Superman's son Jason. It's also really upsetting that we don't get to see what was going to become of the Neo Krypton that Kal-El flew into orbit upon Earth before plummeting back to Earth near the gates of death due to his prolonged exposure to the extreme amounts of Kryptonite. There is truly so much untapped potential that was established towards the end of Superman Returns that it's plain upsetting.

I highly doubt if Zack Snyder will return to these elements in his Man of Steel Trilogy but I definitely hope that instead of focusing solely on Lex Luthor that he will turn the spotlight on the new villain H'el because I really like what we witnessed in the H'el On Earth arc which spanned the excellent New 52 issues of Superman, Supergirl and Superboy. There is a lot of info online that indicates that Zack Snyder was going to focus on Brainiac in the Superman Returns sequel. I also wonder if Zack Snyder will feature Supergirl or Superboy in his Trilogy?
    Hmm, there may be potential there, but it really doesn't amount to potential that many people want to experience. The Son of Superman has never been a very viable storyline, even in the comics. And I would hope that Superman threw the island further away from earth than its orbit it it was going to continue to grow into a planet (there's no evidence that it would, as Lex plans suggested it would tap out at about the size of North America).

Brianiac has some potential, but I haven't seen an incarnation of him yet that I think would translate very well to movies. It would likely be a completely new take on the character that runs as much risk of alienating the audience as endearing it.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

Actually, if you carefully trawl through all the information about Man of Steel, you'll see there's actually nothing at all that hints at a Brainiac sequel. It all come from unsubstantiated rumours and fans voicing their desires for the sequel.

But more to the point, Superman Returns certainly set things up for an intriguing sequel. Even in Superman Returns there was a wealth of interesting ideas, although the execution could have been better. I still firmly believe Singer would have made a good sequel (just look at how much better X2 is than X-Men). In the end, it's not great movie, but by no means the unmitigated disaster some make it out to be, and it's still miles ahead of Green Lantern. It is somewhat disappointing that that's all we'll see of Singer's Superman. I don't think you should abandon a franchise just because the first movie (which was well liked by critics by the way) didn't gross as much as the studio hoped. Regardless, given what we've seen from Man of Steel, it's looking like things worked out for the best.
    Last edited by clownprince01; 03-27-2013 at 05:54 AM.
    Your name is Kal-El. You are the only survivor of the planet Krypton. Even though you've been raised as a human being, you are not one of them
    JOR-EL

I never liked the child aspect storyline in Superman Returns. I think the reason was that the circumstances in which the child was introduced were so contrived in the first place; Superman leaving Earth (for a long time! even after what he told the President in Superman II), not saying goodbye to Lois (another weird contrivance that never made sense) and then her having shacked up with another guy while he was away. Plus the fact that there was talk of Superman Returns II going all Wrath of Khan just totally dis-interested me. Now I remember there was tremendous buzz about the movie and audiences did love it when it first debuted but over time it just has not weathered very well like so many new movies haven't. I think in so many respects Superman Returns was a missed opportunity because the focus was so much on the child and Spacey as Lex and neither appealed to me and I think it distracted from the star of the show, Superman.

The idea got some initially really good attention with Lor Zod in the comics, but then the shenanigans of New Krypton happened...
    “There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

-C.S. Lewis

Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The idea got some initially really good attention with Lor Zod in the comics, but then the shenanigans of New Krypton happened...
    Meh. Honestly, the potential of Lor-Zod as a character pretty much ended with the end of the "Last Son" arc, when it became obvious DC didn't want him around. Which is the shame, because Johns' Superman would probably have worked okay as a father.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."