Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Guardians of the Galaxy, #1

Brian Michael Bendis and Steve McNiven finally let loose and light up in the pages of "Guardians of the Galaxy" #1, re-introducing the world to Peter Quill, Gamora, Drax, Groot and Rocket Raccoon.

Full review here.

BANNED

ok people are hating on the new outfits, and i dont disagree with the lot of them, but for Gamora IF they had absolutly HAD to give her a non sexy outfit, then i like what we got, generic whatever, its complex detailed and badass, and mcniven works well with detail.
    and NEVER let it be said that he doesnt draw great beautiful women

its like with caps new outfit, less detailed more simple artist like john cassady and adam kubert arent drawing it as well as say jerome opena and Micniven

BANNED

I think Gamora's new outfit doesn't reflect "Barbarian" swinging a sword but instead "Space Soldier".

That and they really are mimicking Mass Effects' visual style.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    I think Gamora's new outfit doesn't reflect "Barbarian" swinging a sword but instead "Space Soldier".

That and they really are mimicking Mass Effects' visual style.
    yeah, i thought i was the only one to notice :P

Funny how IronMans space suit looks more "Alien" than the aliens, kinda defeats the purpose a bit. From the previews the art seems nice but I haven't even picked up DnAs stuff and i like their work more than Bendis, once i'm done with that i may give this a try

Thumbs down

Ugh... Whatever crawled out of the Cancerverse, it sure as hell wasn't Peter Quill. This is a veteran of the Annihilation Wave, who served as military adviser to Ronan and had countless adventures before and after it. He's gone against the likes Annihilus, Thanos, Kang, Ultron and an evil alternate reality Quasar. And here he is, acting like an angsty teenager about how his daddy ran off and leaving teammates behind to boot. I spoke to some readers who have read Star-Lord even longer and they're even more miffed. Apparently he dealt with his daddy issues long ago and they were on amicable terms. There was apparently talk of future shared adventures together at some point.

As someone who loved DnA's run on GotG and Nova and got fairly invested in Cosmic Marvel, going so far as to read older classics like Infinity Gauntlet and the like and enjoyed Hickman's FF stories primarily for the cosmic parts, this is was genuinely depressing to read. Like going to see a good old friend after a long time, only to discover they have developed dementia. Considering what Bendis did to the Skrulls in SI, I guess I should have been better prepared (the Skrulls were never religious zealots, but I was willing to believe that they'd turn to faith after what they had gone), but since I've been enjoying his X-Men for the most part, I tried to give this a fair shot.

List of gripes:
    • Peter is incredibly out of character.
    • Spartax is suddenly relevant in cosmic politics. Somehow, no explanation given.
    • The Badoon aren't much of a threat in the current timeline, but apparently they're a major antagonistic empire. Somehow. Scum, sure, but nothing too major.
    • The Brood and Annihilus (of all things!) participating in a summit about leaving Earth alone, an initiative that no one will enforce and probably would never have agreed to, because it would divert too much power away from defense. Annihilus himself devastated most of known space. As it stands, none of it makes sense in context of what's happened before, and I really hope there's more to this than just giving a planet that is for most of the rest of the universe remote, uncivilized and unimportant beyond housing a few powerful individuals in a universe with plenty of other just as powerful individuals, some space to "grow". Everyone and their uncle has been interfering with Earth since the Celestials. There's a few more problems here, but those are the biggest.
    • Star-Lord's helmet is gone!! It was so cool!! And it's replaced with a hideous one! Why? Because apparently you can't show expressions according to McNiven, which in reality translates to him admitting either that he is lazy and doesn't have the skill to make body language expressive or that he's lazy and didn't do his research since Star-Lord's helmet can retract its faceplate.
    • The action scenes feel really static and weightless, especially the space fights, and I'm not just making a pun here. Just look at the way way Rocket and Star-Lord float about casually in a storm of lasers. The Guardians should always do their fighting in a grounded setting. Cover and weight make actions scenes dynamic, like there's actual momentum and danger.
    • Why is Iron Man here? He is totally pointless and ineffective. People don't need shoe-horned "relatable" (read as "identifiable") characters, but good writing.
    • Making the Guardians an Earth-centric team. They're supposed to be there to protect everyone, so I hope this is just for the initial arc. Why make a story about the Guardians of the Galaxy, if you're just going to focus on Earth. Really defeats the purpose from all points of view, for new readers and old. It's like asking for soup and getting bread.
    • Gamora is in armor for some reason (just as stupid as putting armor on Hulk) and Groot has some kind of lights or something in him
    • Krutack is an awkward curse word. Making alien swear words more than one syllable is always awkward when they're speaking English otherwise. D'ast, frack and whatever like them simply work better as expletives since they're monosyllabic. But this is a really minor nitpick, unlike:
    • The biggest jimmy rustler: the belittling of Peter's previous accomplishments with the Guardians by his father. Even if he wasn't a major player in cosmic politics at the time, he sure as hell would have known the extent of his son's actions and how he saved the entire universe (several times). A Spartax fleet was there for the big final fight with the tear in reality which was destroying the universe while also ushering in cthulhu-like entities from the Cancerverse! EVERYONE WAS!!! But apparently saving the universe from the cosmic forces of life (and before that, of death) is just unimportant "cavorting". This is just stupidly ignorant from an in-story point of view and unduly dismissive of the previous work outside of the narrative. I guess I could take this as Jason egging Peter on to do as he wants, but it just comes off as incredibly stupid, something Peter shouldn't respond to at all.

Ambivalent points:
    Bendis-speak. Usually I don't really pay too much attention it and feel that it actually suits certain stories and characters, like Ultimate Spider-Man and X-men, but a page where Peter repeats his father's words like an idiot come off as really irksome. Some people probably won't mind, and I usually wouldn't either, but there are certain situations and characters where it just doesn't work for someone like me, and some people can't stand it at all.

Positives:
    The art is pretty nice, despite the uninspired and bland character re-designs and the somewhat flat action scenes.

Conclusions:
    Now, I suppose if this is someone's initial introduction to the Guardians, I guess it's all right, like 3/5 or something, but as a long time fan of Cosmic Marvel, this was really depressing to read through. In typical Bendis fashion, not much happens in a single issue. We're not really introduced to any of the characters properly, the main plot is vague and makes little sense with previously established continuity. All of this might start to make sense eventually, but with Bendis' style of decompression, that might take a while and as someone already filled with too many questions before hand (like how is Peter alive to begin with?) raising so many issues and problems within just one issue doesn't help. And the action is kind of dull too.

Rob Anybody. Crivens! Blackknight75's Avatar

The Badoon have been a back ground threat in the cosmic landscape, as depicted back in DnA's Guardians of the Galaxy #7 & #8. The Badoon have been building and stockpiling WMD's and testing them on unimportant, habitated worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkele View Post
    Like going to see a good old friend after a long time, only to discover they have developed dementia.
    this is officially the most accurate description i have seen for what has happened to this team.

i don't recognise any of my favourite team in this book.

[*]Star-Lord's helmet is gone!! It was so cool!! And it's replaced with a hideous one! Why? Because apparently you can't show expressions according to McNiven, which in reality translates to him admitting either that he is lazy and doesn't have the skill to make body language expressive or that he's lazy and didn't do his research since Star-Lord's helmet can retract its faceplate.
    perhaps mcniven needs to have a chat with brad walker and paul pelletier, both of whom had zero issue with drawing an emotive peter with a faceplate. even wes craig had no issue and not a lot of people liked his art.

it's actually turned into optimus prime in bayformers all over again.

double post, double the irritation

Ugh... Whatever crawled out of the Cancerverse, it sure as hell wasn't Peter Quill. This is a veteran of the Annihilation Wave, who served as military adviser to Ronan and had countless adventures before and after it. He's gone against the likes Annihilus, Thanos, Kang, Ultron and an evil alternate reality Quasar. And here he is, acting like an angsty teenager about how his daddy ran off and leaving teammates behind to boot. I spoke to some readers who have read Star-Lord even longer and they're even more miffed. Apparently he dealt with his daddy issues long ago and they were on amicable terms. There was apparently talk of future shared adventures together at some point.

As someone who loved DnA's run on GotG and Nova and got fairly invested in Cosmic Marvel, going so far as to read older classics like Infinity Gauntlet and the like and enjoyed Hickman's FF stories primarily for the cosmic parts, this is was genuinely depressing to read. Like going to see a good old friend after a long time, only to discover they have developed dementia. Considering what Bendis did to the Skrulls in SI, I guess I should have been better prepared (the Skrulls were never religious zealots, but I was willing to believe that they'd turn to faith after what they had gone), but since I've been enjoying his X-Men for the most part, I tried to give this a fair shot.

List of gripes:
    • Spartax is suddenly relevant in cosmic politics. Somehow, no explanation given.
    • The Badoon aren't much of a threat in the current timeline, but apparently they're a major antagonistic empire. Somehow. Scum, sure, but nothing too major.
    • The Brood and Annihilus (of all things!) participating in a summit about leaving Earth alone, an initiative that no one will enforce and probably would never have agreed to, because it would divert too much power away from defense. Annihilus himself devastated most of known space. As it stands, none of it makes sense in context of what's happened before, and I really hope there's more to this than just giving a planet that is for most of the rest of the universe remote, uncivilized and unimportant beyond housing a few powerful individuals in a universe with plenty of other just as powerful individuals, some space to "grow". Everyone and their uncle has been interfering with Earth since the Celestials. There's a few more problems here, but those are the biggest.
    • Star-Lord's helmet is gone!! It was so cool!! And it's replaced with a hideous one! Why? Because apparently you can't show expressions according to McNiven, which in reality translates to him admitting either that he is lazy and doesn't have the skill to make body language expressive or that he's lazy and didn't do his research since Star-Lord's helmet can retract its faceplate.
    • The action scenes feel really static and weightless, especially the space fights, and I'm not just making a pun here. Just look at the way way Rocket and Star-Lord float about casually in a storm of lasers. The Guardians should always do their fighting in a grounded setting. Cover and weight make actions scenes dynamic, like there's actual momentum and danger.
    • Why is Iron Man here? He is totally pointless and ineffective. People don't need shoe-horned "relatable" (read as "identifiable") characters, but good writing.
    • Making the Guardians an Earth-centric team. They're supposed to be there to protect everyone, so I hope this is just for the initial arc. Why make a story about the Guardians of the Galaxy, if you're just going to focus on Earth. Really defeats the purpose from all points of view, for new readers and old. It's like asking for soup and getting bread.
    • Gamora is in armor for some reason (just as stupid as putting armor on Hulk) and Groot has some kind of lights or something in him
    • Krutack is an awkward curse word. Making alien swear words more than one syllable is always awkward when they're speaking English otherwise. D'ast, frack and whatever like them simply work better as expletives since they're monosyllabic. But this is a really minor nitpick, unlike:
    • The biggest jimmy rustler: the belittling of Peter's previous accomplishments with the Guardians by his father. Even if he wasn't a major player in cosmic politics at the time, he sure as hell would have known the extent of his son's actions and how he saved the entire universe (several times). A Spartax fleet was there for the big final fight with the tear in reality which was destroying the universe while also ushering in cthulhu-like entities from the Cancerverse! EVERYONE WAS!!! But apparently saving the universe from the cosmic forces of life (and before that, of death) is just unimportant "cavorting". This is just stupidly ignorant from an in-story point of view and unduly dismissive of the previous work outside of the narrative. I guess I could take this as Jason egging Peter on to do as he wants, but it just comes off as incredibly stupid, something Peter shouldn't respond to at all.

Ambivalent points:
    Bendis-speak. Usually I don't really pay too much attention it and feel that it actually suits certain stories and characters, like Ultimate Spider-Man and X-men, but a page where Peter repeats his father's words like an idiot come off as really irksome. Some people probably won't mind, and I usually wouldn't either, but there are certain situations and characters where it just doesn't work for someone like me, and some people can't stand it at all.

Positives:
    The art is pretty nice, despite the uninspired and bland character re-designs and the somewhat flat action scenes.

Conclusions:
    Now, I suppose if this is someone's initial introduction to the Guardians, I guess it's all right, like 3/5 or something, but as a long time fan of Cosmic Marvel, this was really depressing to read through. In typical Bendis fashion, not much happens in a single issue. We're not really introduced to any of the characters properly, the main plot is vague and makes little sense with previously established continuity. All of this might start to make sense eventually, but with Bendis' style of decompression, that might take a while and as someone already filled with too many questions before hand (like how is Peter alive to begin with?) raising so many issues and problems within just one issue doesn't help. And the action is kind of dull too.
    +1 all the way. WTF ON THE HELMET?!?

Illustrator of Stuff Ebonyleopard's Avatar

Issues I have with the first issue. The Brood, hasn't it been established in numerous recent issues of X-Men that the Brood are an almost extinct race? How are they a major cosmic power?
    Annihilus, Isn't he 1) in the Negative Zone, not in outer space? 2) Isn't he like...kid sized now?
    Art wise, Does McNiven, who's work I usually love, know that Rocket Raccoon has a tail? Where is his tail in that outfit they got him in (Why change any of their 'uniforms' from the previous series for these looks to begin with would be a question all of it's own). I know drawing animals can be difficult (since I sorta specialize in drawing animals), but man, he's looking WAY too anthropomorphic from his previous GoTG established design looks. I'd suggest getting him a copy of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 so he can see what Rocket looks like and how he moves just as a referencing tool.

I don't know why, but oddly drawn animal characters bug me (used to drive me crazy with cat Beast).

Final question, does coming out of the Cancerverse cause Peter to go all blonde ambition? Why is he Blonde? Surely somebody before the start of this comic opened a copy of the previous series and saw Starlord with his helmet off? Has Starlord ever been a blonde? I'll admit to not reading (or even knowing about him) Prior to the Annihilation saga.
    Creator of Extinctioners published by www.angryvikingpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonyleopard View Post
    Issues I have with the first issue. The Brood, hasn't it been established in numerous recent issues of X-Men that the Brood are an almost extinct race? How are they a major cosmic power?
    Annihilus, Isn't he 1) in the Negative Zone, not in outer space? 2) Isn't he like...kid sized now?
    Art wise, Does McNiven, who's work I usually love, know that Rocket Raccoon has a tail? Where is his tail in that outfit they got him in (Why change any of their 'uniforms' from the previous series for these looks to begin with would be a question all of it's own). I know drawing animals can be difficult (since I sorta specialize in drawing animals), but man, he's looking WAY too anthropomorphic from his previous GoTG established design looks. I'd suggest getting him a copy of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 so he can see what Rocket looks like and how he moves just as a referencing tool.

I don't know why, but oddly drawn animal characters bug me (used to drive me crazy with cat Beast).

Final question, does coming out of the Cancerverse cause Peter to go all blonde ambition? Why is he Blonde? Surely somebody before the start of this comic opened a copy of the previous series and saw Starlord with his helmet off? Has Starlord ever been a blonde? I'll admit to not reading (or even knowing about him) Prior to the Annihilation saga.
    If i remember correctly he was originally blonde but later it was Brown (i think for longer too)

It's because Marvel likes to do covert reboots and retcons with no prior warning (Avengers Disassembled anyone?) even though it's annoying how often DC likes to rewrite history on a weekly basis they have the courtesy of explaining and detailing. Marvel just lets their "creativity" run wild.

List of gripes:

Ambivalent points:

Positives:

Conclusions:
    Agreed. This is what I was afraid of happening. The previous DnA series was pretty much ignored (the Annihilus bit was just stupid), and all of the great character work done with Peter Quill was jettisoned. The new costumes are boring and generic, and shoe-horning Iron-Man into the lineup doesn't make much sense. I'm not a big Bendis fan to begin with, but I had my hopes up for this series. I'll give it a couple more issues, but that's it unless it picks up.

List of gripes:

Ambivalent points:

Positives:

Conclusions:
    Completely agree. I don't understand why Marvel decided to give this property to Bendis, who is known for disregarding continuity and past character development so he can put his style of writing (stamp) over. Abnett and Lanning were the ones who made this team interesting to start with, to the point Disney/Marvel felt they are good enough for a movie during this Phase 2. I'm so disappointed in the story so far and in the new character designs. I know is wishful thinking, but I'm hoping that Bendis leaves the book around after this first story arc and bring DnA back again. They are the ones responsible of making the cosmic Marvel Universe interesting again and they should be the ones who explain how these characters are back together.

BANNED

Speaking of Hickman, why isn't he writing this book? I don't understand Marvel's priorities.

I think Perkele really hits all the right buttons in his review. I will probably continue following previews and reviews to see how this plays out but not really interesting in reading or buying it at this stage.
    lots of dots