Default Why change the Teen Titans artist??

Hey guys. So as most of you who are following Teen Titans probably know, Brett Booth has been moved to Nightwing and Eddy Barrows has been brought to Teen Titans. Now I really liked Eddy's art on Nightwing but for Teen Titans i absolutely HATE IT. I'm sorry to say but they look absolutely ridiculous, he is drawing them like we are still in the 80's even though the new 52 is suppose to be modern and all that. Everything from the hair to the overall look, especially when the titans are out of costume just looks horrible and out of date. Even the covers of the future issues, I just can't stand thinking that i am going to buy and read these issues while having to look at such ugly art. Eddy has a great vibe with Nightwing but can't bring the same for the Titans. Anyone have any idea why they would move Booth?? Any opinions on the art between the 2 artists, if you guys mind the change or not?? Thanks!

Tough call for me personally. I think both artists have their strengths and weaknesses. Barrows' preview art for TT#18 looks pretty good.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

Brett Booth said on his blog that he was moved to Nightwing because he requested the move. Not only does he love Nightwing, but he wanted to draw a solo book instead of a team book. I agree, he was a great artist for Teen Titans, my only complaint about him is his female characters are always sticking their butts in the air.

Metal Woman

Yeah i saw the preview art. I agree i'm not saying it's bad it's just the characters themselves i can't wrap around. Like the way he draws Tim Drake in the preview art. I understand he has his hair like that and a suit for the current situation with Damian in that issue but in issue #17 for example he has hair like that the whole time. It looks like clay and if you look at the way Booth did Tim's face in all the other issues without his mask, and the way Barrows does Tim's face now, Tim looks even younger, he looks like a child who can't be taken seriously as a leader. I liked how Booth would draw him more serious like he has the wisdom to lead a team.

Ah wasn't aware of that one thanks.

BANNED

On the subject, moving artists around isn't that odd, as Marv Wolfman explained it; a writer can juggle multiple books a month and get a lot of variety in his work, an artist however has to stick to one book, one tone and a limited amount of characters, which will get boring eventually. And this was said in regards to George Perez departure from NTT.

As for Barrows, it be worse, that issue of Firestorm fighting the Titans Tim seemed to have grown a proper 90'ties mullet.
    The only thing I don't really like about Barrows' work is how he draws mouths, which are always these weird grins and grimaces.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 03-26-2013 at 11:55 AM.

I see what you are saying and that is a good point about the whole artist sticking to one thing but as much as that makes sense, it's the fans that suffer because when an artist does leave and another comes along and a fan like myself doesn't like his work(barrows) we suffer because now we are stuck with the new creative team. If an artist is going to do a series i think they should stick it through, they owe it to us to see it through to the end. Speaking of mouth's, you see the way he did Red Robin's mouth on the cover of #18 on TT?? Creepy, just like all the faces he does NOT know how to draw of the TT. I just wish barrows would leave or stop being stuck in the past...

Actually like Barrows quite a lot (as I did Booth), my only problem with him is his lack of spped. Guy can't seem to go two issues without needing a replacement or some help. If he's changed his style as to better correct this, I'm more than willing to give him a shot.

Peace

Many thanks for this nice post Soulsteal.

Hmm i don't know i mean you are right on the whole speed thing but if it requires him to change his style and have the art look like we are back in 1985 then i don't think i personally am willing to sacrifice that just so he can get up to speed. Thanks for posting your opinion!

Your welcome thanks for viewing!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsteal View Post
    Hmm i don't know i mean you are right on the whole speed thing but if it requires him to change his style and have the art look like we are back in 1985 then i don't think i personally am willing to sacrifice that just so he can get up to speed. Thanks for posting your opinion!
    Wouldnt really say it's like 1985, because I think of Perez when that number comes up, more like early-to-mid 2000's, where most Titan stories were rubbish. :S