Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar

Default in the new 52 have they shown how powerful a kryptonian is WITHOUT any solar energy?

Before kryptonians were as weak as regular humans,have they shown how it works now?
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch

Bring back kon-el/Conner kent

They are as powerful as regular human in some origins (pre-Crisis Earth-One, Byrne, Birthright, Secret Origin, New 52, etc.) or as powerful as the early Golden Age Superman (Siegel and Shuster's original version, pre-Crisis Earth-Two, etc.).

In current canon, it works as it has always been, they get super-powerful when exposed to yellow sunlight, get drained in red sunlight if already charged or get new powers in blue sunlight.
    "There's always a way. When odds are impossible, do the impossible."
    -Superman, AC #14

Quote Originally Posted by George Taylor View Post
    They are as powerful as regular human in some origins (pre-Crisis Earth-One, Byrne, Birthright, Secret Origin, New 52, etc.) or as powerful as the early Golden Age Superman (Siegel and Shuster's original version, pre-Crisis Earth-Two, etc.).

In current canon, it works as it has always been, they get super-powerful when exposed to yellow sunlight, get drained in red sunlight if already charged or get new powers in blue sunlight.

Where have you seen this in the new 52 books?
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Where have you seen this in the new 52 books?
    Well, I messed up with the blue sunlight but the other two are right as far as I know. I was thinking of the pre-Flashpoint Superman when I wrote the latter part of my post, for some reason.
    "There's always a way. When odds are impossible, do the impossible."
    -Superman, AC #14

As far as I know - No, this hasn't been shown.
    Clark or Supergirl would have to lose their powers for an extended period and would probably need a good reason to attempt a feat of strength. Unless they wanted to show that they are inherently stronger than humans to the extent they might inadvertently break stuff.
    I guess we might have a chance to see Kara without powers following H'El on Earth.

I asked this because i kinda got the feeling grant morrison set the kryptonians up as superhuman even without the godlike enhancement from a yellow sun.
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch

Krypton's gravity is said to be so strong that it makes space travel difficult for Kryptonians, so I would imagine that anyone from Krypton would have some level of super strength no matter what color the sun is.
    People who chime in on vs. threads with "I don't like Superman at all, but he'd win.", STOP HELPING! Superman doesn't need your damning him with faint praise, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    Krypton's gravity is said to be so strong that it makes space travel difficult for Kryptonians, so I would imagine that anyone from Krypton would have some level of super strength no matter what color the sun is.
    Yeah, thtat's what I think too.

I think the 'leaping tall buildings' was an example of non solar powered ability as is his early strength levels and being bullet proof. Like the movie John Carter where he leaped around in mars lower gravity.

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

I asked this because i kinda got the feeling grant morrison set the kryptonians up as superhuman even without the godlike enhancement from a yellow sun.
    That's been my impression so far as well. Let's see if somebody else runs along with that.

Hey man long time no see

To answer your question: on Krypton they are around normal human power. If they lose power on earth though? We don't know for sure, but in Action comics 15-18 Superman was under a red sun for hours and his powers only left him very very very slowly to the point where he was actually still able to fight the whole anti-Superman army, Superdoom (thought powered Superman), Vny (5th D imp god), and sake off three flavors of kryptonite (red, blue, and green).
    He mainly lost the power to fly and large portion of the rest of his power level. He was around golden age Action comics 1 Superman.

......So to really answer your question.....idk lol, but it takes them much much much longer to lose their powers than before. They could very well always be at golden age powers because of the gravity and dense muscle mass and bone they have

I would love this
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-27-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by George Taylor View Post
    Well, I messed up with the blue sunlight but the other two are right as far as I know. I was thinking of the pre-Flashpoint Superman when I wrote the latter part of my post, for some reason.
    Fun fact: blue suns do not power up Supergirl for whatever reason in the new 52

I always thought it was silly to have a being from a planet with such a massive difference in gravity,where he walked and acted as humans would here,and when he lost his solar enhanced powers he was at human levels,when his normal under weaker gravity should be much higher than ours,yeah like john carter,golden age,YJ SB,or action comics#1,that way they can use the gravity and solar energy explanations,and actually make sense.
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch

Yup my thoughts exactly!

The current explanation for Superman's powers in the new 52 as of Action comics issue 5 (given by Jor-el himself) deals with the weaker gravity of the world he will be sent to. Also if you remember during the Superboy Annual Superman was affected by the gravity of that world.