Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 149
  1. #46
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Twain View Post
    I believe that, for you. And for me, because I too am a straight white man. But if I weren't? It'd probably make my day to see a really well-done superhero that actually validated my background. Our culture, and especially comics, have pushed, unintentionally or not, the idea that being a hero means being a straight white guy. It's okay to think that sucks.


    You sure as hell don't do it by not introducing more diverse characters.

    I get part of what you're saying -- that you want to avoid the tokenism that comes with a character being introduced specifically to fill a demographic niche. But I say, $@# it. As long as we're not talking about egregious stereotypes, let's throw them in there; enough will be made good on to make a lasting difference. If a story's going to be good or bad depending on the creative team, I'd rather have it be good or bad and introduce a non-white, non-straight character. I think it's worth trying to avoid what has been a 70-plus-year default of straight, white males.
    there's just no way to do that. throwing them in there is basically always the lazy wrong way to go about this. and the tokenism is usually in there behind the desire for it, which weirds me out. that's all.

  2. #47
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    If they want to tell Batman and Robin stories there are plenty of untold stories in the reboot with Dick, Jason or Tim in the Robin (or Red Robin) costume working with Bruce. I just think him taking in someone else after everything that has happened would just be irresponsible and a little insane.
    well it's not going to be a good story for him to think of doing that in the immediate future.
    someone may write him that way and it's going to feel weird, probably. but two and a half years from now? bank on a new robin.

  3. #48

    Default

    The next Robin is going to be gay? People think Robin is gay anyway, what difference does it make?

    Also no point in having races blah blah for kicks if you ain't gonna to have a good story. I don't care if a GL is black or Black LIghtning is in the JL. I don't even care if the whole dream taem is black. I care about the people itself, not about their race, gender, sexuality and all that jazz.

    You make a good character and I will like the character

  4. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by direction9 View Post
    there's just no way to do that. throwing them in there is basically always the lazy wrong way to go about this. and the tokenism is usually in there behind the desire for it, which weirds me out. that's all.
    I guess the only way to really shake that feeling would be to attract a large number of writers from those demographics, yeah? But that's a battle in and of itself, the way the industry currently is.

    At the end of the day, the only way to get to the point where a new gay/black/female/Asian/whatever superhero isn't a note-worthy event is to just keep introducing them. And, of course, write them like real people.

  5. #50
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Twain View Post
    I guess the only way to really shake that feeling would be to attract a large number of writers from those demographics, yeah? But that's a battle in and of itself, the way the industry currently is.

    At the end of the day, the only way to get to the point where a new gay/black/female/Asian/whatever superhero isn't a note-worthy event is to just keep introducing them. And, of course, write them like real people.
    the second part more than the first.
    like in young avengers right now, that young cute gay couple is extremely sappy, and if that were a straight couple i think literally everyone would be gagging at the dialogue. it's not bringing that book down because they're gay, but because they're sappy love at that age is cringeworthy.

  6. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,250

    Default

    I seriously don't need anymore robins. Gay or straight.

  7. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by direction9 View Post
    the second part more than the first.
    like in young avengers right now, that young cute gay couple is extremely sappy, and if that were a straight couple i think literally everyone would be gagging at the dialogue. it's not bringing that book down because they're gay, but because they're sappy love at that age is cringeworthy.
    Okay, fair point.

    I just also got the feeling that you automatically equate consciously wanting to introduce more diverse characters with having that be the only aspect of their personality/tokenism. Not at all. It's just that if, at the end of the day you have all your specs, powers, background, personality, etc. ready for your new DC superhero and you just have to pick whether it's a white guy or an Asian woman ... pick the Asian woman.

    If you're all set to introduce your new Robin and have everything else ready, make him gay. Make him a woman. I don't support the theory presented in this thread, but the greater trend we're talking about here, I can get behind.

  8. #53
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Twain View Post
    Okay, fair point.

    I just also got the feeling that you automatically equate consciously wanting to introduce more diverse characters with having that be the only aspect of their personality/tokenism. Not at all. It's just that if, at the end of the day you have all your specs, powers, background, personality, etc. ready for your new DC superhero and you just have to pick whether it's a white guy or an Asian woman ... pick the Asian woman.

    If you're all set to introduce your new Robin and have everything else ready, make him gay. Make him a woman. I don't support the theory presented in this thread, but the greater trend we're talking about here, I can get behind.
    i don't think we should treat batwoman's conception as rucka just wanting to write a lesbian, nor of a batwoman character all ready to go who he decided should also be a lesbian the way he decided her power levels or something

  9. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by direction9 View Post
    i don't think we should treat batwoman's conception as rucka just wanting to write a lesbian, nor of a batwoman character all ready to go who he decided should also be a lesbian the way he decided her power levels or something
    No, and I oversimplified.

    But at a certain point during discussions on what they were going to do with the new Batwoman, someone said, "Let's make her a lesbian." And that needs to happen more often.

    And, actually, perfect example -- the way she was hyped upon introduction and certain bits of writing and the way DC present her actually do veer uncomfortably close to tokenism at times. It is a little over the top at times with how frequently her sexuality is referenced. Hell, they made sure it was a factor in her origin.

    But even then, I think she's a great character and a very positive step. So, yeah, more of that. Awkward missteps be damned, because they're going to happen.
    Last edited by Bruce Twain; 03-23-2013 at 11:34 PM.

  10. #55
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Twain View Post

    But at a certain point during discussions on what they were going to do with the new Batwoman, someone said, "Let's make her a lesbian." And that needs to happen more often.
    see i think that's a terrible way to describe how this happened.

  11. #56
    I Kick Crime in the Balls The Greatest Hero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Fortress Above the Sun.
    Posts
    349

    Default

    That is the stupidest thing I've heard all day. Not the gay thing, the idea of how you think they'll boomerang this around so that idiot, Cullen, that NO ONE likes will be the next Robin.

  12. #57
    Veteran Member JaggedFel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest Hero View Post
    That is the stupidest thing I've heard all day. Not the gay thing, the idea of how you think they'll boomerang this around so that idiot, Cullen, that NO ONE likes will be the next Robin.
    This is DC given their recent missteps I find nothing inconceivable so yeah Cullen could happen.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

  13. #58
    Senior Member Cypher-Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,398

    Default

    Sounds like a great idea to get Batman made fun of.

    Either shes gay or its not going to happen. I dont think DC is that stupid despite the terrible direction theyve been going.

  14. #59
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    58

    Default

    DC is a lot more diverse than it uses to be. I'm proud of that. But it seems like there's a push to make every character a minority or gay or transgender or anything else to be diverse. Why can't we just have good stories and be happy we are where we are? At what point do we say ok you've diversified enough now we are all happy?

  15. #60
    Senior Member hunter_peterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Launceston, Tasmania
    Posts
    2,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kolejorg View Post
    DC is a lot more diverse than it uses to be. I'm proud of that. But it seems like there's a push to make every character a minority or gay or transgender or anything else to be diverse. Why can't we just have good stories and be happy we are where we are? At what point do we say ok you've diversified enough now we are all happy?
    Probably at the point in which it's not particularly discussed or controversial. When nobody cares, it'll just be like introducing any character.

    I'd like this, if it were to happen. Partially because it's just assumed by the general public anyway, so it'd be kind of funny. But I'd really just love a Robin that wasn't another straight white boy who looks just like Bruce. So a girl, a non-white person, anything like that, and it's cool. Just to see a Robin being drawn differently and doing different things would be refreshing.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •