Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I read Brian Woods The Massive?

Haven't seen anything about this series, just wondering what the verdict is on it, good read? Bad read?

I guess it's a generational thing, but why do people keep titling threads "Should I ______________?" It makes people who post such questions seem pretty damn clueless and helpless . . . can't you people make your own decisons? (I've seen things like "What should I give my older brother for his birthday?" posted on message boards where the message goes out to the masses that have no clue as to who the poster is or give any information about the brother . . . that's almost like stopping a random person on the street and expecting them to give you an answer as to what "special" present you should buy for your mother!) Wouldn't it make more sense to maybe give this thread a title like "What do people think of Brian Woods' The Massive?" Accomplishes the same thing, but doesn't make you seem so . . . spineless.

Enough preaching. I don't know anything about the series, but from a couple of mentions elsewhere, . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robbin View Post
    Dark Horse:
    The Goon
    The Massive
    Conan
    Billy the Kids Old Timey Oddities

I just picked up The Massive and Conan on a digital sale of Brian Woods comics he is doing and am sucked in. I have liked Conan in the past and this rendition is cool. The Masive is really intriguing.
    There was also this thread: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...vs-The-Massive which didn't get much response, but maybe you should have added to it with your question to see if that would help.

And why didn't you just tack the question on to this thread: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-Creator-owned ?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I read #1 and didn't care for it enough to bother with #2. I was talking with a buddy of mine a few weeks ago who's still reading it and he told me he's thinking of dropping it as it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
    Pull List: Transformers RID, Darth Vader, Superior Spiderman, Forever Evil, Injustice: Gods Amoung Us 2.

I'm really enjoying it. The "plot" seems to be secondary to Brian Woods building characters in this very specific world. So I could understand someone feeling like it's not going anywhere.

I like it though.

i thought it was good. the first 6 issues centers around character building and finding resources for survival, which sets the foundation for the fictional world. this is the reason why it seems to not be going anywhere.

issues #10 should begin the mission proper as they search for the massive.

like most of brian wood's books (and what groupcelebration said), its very character-centric, and less plot. it touches on environmental and political issues but doesnt come across as preachy. i see great potential in coming issues regarding character relations, both within the crew, and with its encounters. we are starting to see it in issue #9.

and a plus point - dave stewart on colors, whats not to love?

Quote Originally Posted by lex1126 View Post
    i thought it was good. the first 6 issues centers around character building and finding resources for survival, which sets the foundation for the fictional world. this is the reason why it seems to not be going anywhere.

issues #10 should begin the mission proper as they search for the massive.

like most of brian wood's books (and what groupcelebration said), its very character-centric, and less plot. it touches on environmental and political issues but doesnt come across as preachy. i see great potential in coming issues regarding character relations, both within the crew, and with its encounters. we are starting to see it in issue #9.

and a plus point - dave stewart on colors, whats not to love?
    Is it as slow as spawn? Cause I'm on isse 27 of that and feel like nothing at all has happened

DD & BP: secret BFF's FriendRoss's Avatar

i enjoy it... im not sure why

its like the walking dead (post apocalyptic survival thing)... but the worlds more sophisticated

each issues tells a interesting enough story... where this is headed in general... no clue.. should you read it? im not sure

I'm still reading it...for now. But mostly for the worldbuilding. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what kind of story they are trying to tell here.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I guess it's a generational thing, but why do people keep titling threads "Should I ______________?" It makes people who post such questions seem pretty damn clueless and helpless . . . can't you people make your own decisons? (I've seen things like "What should I give my older brother for his birthday?" posted on message boards where the message goes out to the masses that have no clue as to who the poster is or give any information about the brother . . . that's almost like stopping a random person on the street and expecting them to give you an answer as to what "special" present you should buy for your mother!) Wouldn't it make more sense to maybe give this thread a title like "What do people think of Brian Woods' The Massive?" Accomplishes the same thing, but doesn't make you seem so . . . spineless.

Enough preaching. I don't know anything about the series, but from a couple of mentions elsewhere, . . .

There was also this thread: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...vs-The-Massive which didn't get much response, but maybe you should have added to it with your question to see if that would help.

And why didn't you just tack the question on to this thread: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-Creator-owned ?

I've got a question. Why is this guy such an asshole?

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticmess View Post
    there is a reason why every post here does not reply to him but yours :)

Quote Originally Posted by Phelpzy View Post
    Is it as slow as spawn? Cause I'm on isse 27 of that and feel like nothing at all has happened
    im not sure what do you mean as slow.. i think happen things have happened within 27 issues of spawn! sure not much action, but there were many revalations! spawn even got a new suit!

but i digress. i think its moving along fine.

I can't say if you should read it without knowing what you like to read. I was a big fan of DMZ, and this is somewhat in the same vein, except Wood is building an entire world instead of a city/country.

I can see how you'd think the pacing is slow, if you are looking for answers right away (like what happened to the United States?). But I like that we are viewing an apocalypse scenario from the point of view of a few isolated people, who aren't getting any information that we don't have. I had the advantage of reading the 1st six issues at once, though, on X-mas day, so the pacing may have been less of an issue anyway. I've since added it to my pull list.

It is also very involved with building characters. I don't want to spoil it, but it is about a group of environmental activists who are pacifists. Many of them have a dark history, however, and as events unfold we see glimpses of those histories revealed.

Also, the art, inside and out, is gorgeous.

Anyway, I think it is great and worth checking out, if you are into higher-concept books than typical superhero stuff (which I also enjoy!)
    The Massive . Captain Marvel . Superior Foes of Spider-Man . B.P.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticmess View Post
    I wondered the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by lex1126 View Post
    im not sure what do you mean as slow.. i think happen things have happened within 27 issues of spawn! sure not much action, but there were many revalations! spawn even got a new suit!

but i digress. i think its moving along fine.
    He hasn't got a new suit yet, I just started book 4 hardcover. Stuff has happened but not a lot. I'm still reading it so I guess I like it,

Quote Originally Posted by Phelpzy View Post
    He hasn't got a new suit yet, I just started book 4 hardcover. Stuff has happened but not a lot. I'm still reading it so I guess I like it,
    eh i thought thought he got those chains and that hellboy-ish fist within the first 10 issues! but i might be wrong. i havent read spawn in a long time