Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Guardians of the Galaxy, #1

There's a new rule in the galaxy: No one touches Earth! No one!! Why has Earth become the most important planet in the Galaxy? That's what the Guardians of the Galaxy are going to find out!! Join the brightest stars in the Marvel universe: Star Lord, Gamora, Drax, Rocket Raccoon, Groot and--wait for it--Iron-Man, as they embark upon one of the most explosive and eye-opening chapters of Marvel NOW! These galactic Avengers are going to discover secrets that will rattle Marvel readers for years to come! Why wait for the movie? It all starts here!

Full article here.

Get ready for rehashed ideas and characters talking like audacious 14-year-olds kids! :P

In all seriousness... isn't Bendis stretching himself thin? He's a good fit for X-men, but... Guardians? I just don't think he has the imagination. This is a Hickman or a Abnett and Lanning project.

So pumped for this one!

Star Lord's new helmet looks terrible.
    The Avengers can go fuck themselves." -Elizabeth Braddock

Yes please.

Bendis surprised me with ANXM, I'm willing to see if lightning can strike twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimo88 View Post

In all seriousness... isn't Bendis stretching himself thin?
    Bendis has proved that he can handle work loads more strenuous then this

He's a good fit for X-men, but... Guardians?
    He handled them just fine in Assemble

This is a Hickman or a Abnett and Lanning project.
    Enough with A&L They peaked with conquest. Realm of kings was terrible, Thanos Imperative was alright, but Annhilators showed that their magic was completely gone.

other people can write cosmic.

The Preview looks great.
    I'm so bored with this martyrdom routine, this halo all you X-men love to polish. Self-described soldiers adorned in an "X" with no dedication to what it actually stands for.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zen-aku View Post
    Bendis has proved that he can handle work loads more strenuous then this

He handled them just fine in Assemble

Enough with A&L They peaked with conquest. Realm of kings was terrible, Thanos Imperative was alright, but Annhilators showed that their magic was completely gone.

other people can write cosmic.

The Preview looks great.
    Quoted in agreement.

I just don't believe that D&A are the only people that can write this book. There also seems to be a misconception that they wrote the first Annihilation series. That was actually Giffen.

And yes, those guys were definitely running out of steam towards the end of their cosmic stuff.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Like i said in the other thread, half of the aliens pictured wouldnt be there and Star-lord was changed to some royalty title...eep.
    Bad start.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Like i said in the other thread, half of the aliens pictured wouldnt be there and Star-lord was changed to some royalty title...eep.
    Bad start.
    "i'm peter quill. star-lord. except i'm not star-lord because it's suddenly become a spartoi title of royalty, even though this is supposedly set in the same universe where i got stuck in the cancerverse and was quite happy to be star-lord."

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Bravery View Post
    Star Lord's new helmet looks terrible.
    He looks like a Mexican wrestler.

El Tigre Amarillo !!
    Last edited by Omega Supreme; 03-22-2013 at 02:51 AM.

I don't think that's his full helmet.

Cause you know, going out into space without a faceplate or breather...

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by okpanic View Post
    I don't think that's his full helmet.

Cause you know, going out into space without a faceplate or breather...
    Probably. Maybe it's a modular helmet.

Seriously though, i'm not concerned about what has come before. I'm more concerned about the stories being told now.

Bendis has been on fire lately (the free GoTG digital infinite comics written by Mr Bendis has been pretty good) and I hope he keeps up the quality with GoTG.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

The more I see the preview pages of GoTG, the more I want to do this title collection. The art is amazing, the attitudes of the characters, despite being "characterized" because it's a comic book for a large readers target, are very more mature than other Marvel titles.

The only point for which I disagree is the presence of the Iron BANDAI Man, It should have been better if the authors have kept the "Dreadnought" armor instead of this "made in china" cosplay (and WTF with its colours???).

Fortunately, the book seems to be very well structured and it seems to incite the readers to go further with this this title and its characters. Excellent point, Marvel!!!
    2000 AD of course!!!
    All Hail The Mighty Tharg

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Quoted in agreement.

I just don't believe that D&A are the only people that can write this book. There also seems to be a misconception that they wrote the first Annihilation series. That was actually Giffen.

And yes, those guys were definitely running out of steam towards the end of their cosmic stuff.
    DnA actually wrote "Annihilation:Nova" which I truly enjoyed. Giffen wrote the Annihilation mini, but I think a lot of people forget that DnA wrote the Nova precursor.

So, Maximum Security again (minus the prison planet riff)? Well, Dissasembled was a rehashed Simonson and Byrne thing. Secret Invasion had already been hinted at by Alan Davis, now, Bendis mines another rehased idea and tries to pass it of as fresh. I like what he's doing at X-Men, but really, huge is not something Bendis is good at. He excels at personal stories not in big scope. This seems to be the Bendis who wrote the, IMHO, disaster that was Avengers, not the one who did Daredevil and USM (the early, at least, that was what I read). That one seems to be writing X-Men.
    Still willing to give it a chane, but my frst impression sure wasn't good.

Peace