Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Shelf Life - Mar 21, 2013

This week Ron Marz looks back at the Marvel-DC mash-up, Amalgam Comics, and how his work on "Doctor Strangefate" with Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez and Kevin Nowlan gave him a case of stage fright.

Full article here.

I loved the Amalgam universe, and I adored Dr. Strangefate. The art was jaw-dropping. I seriously wished the series could've become an on-going thing.

Interesting to see how it all came together. Very inspirational, and I'd certainly recommend tracking a copy of this book down.

I loved Dr. Strangefate! This article was such a treat.
    I've never had a signaure before. This is pretty rad.

I am a HUGE fan of Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez. He is such an amazing artist. Also met him on a few occasions, and he's a really nice guy, as well.

I am somewhat surprised that Garcia-Lopez isn't more popular. But I expect that part of that is that so much of the work he has done is uncredited licensing art & style guides. If you like JLGL's work, I highly recommend picking up a copy of the Modern Masters volume covering his career that was published by TwoMorrows.

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

Prior to Strangefate the only Garcia-Lopez artwork I saw was at Marvel's Deluxe Handbook. Then I got Strangefate. The art was gorgeous, and I liked the story too; it's nice to read about how it came about in Ron's words.
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601

Washington.... the state not the place with the monuments.

That was a really great one-shot for the Amalgam books. My favorite part was the last panel when Dr. Strangefate felt bad how insignificant his role in the universe really was. Afterall, it turns out that his name was... :)

Definitely one of the better Amalgam issue! I

It's a shame they didn't get another issue with the follow-ups that came later. Instead we got more Dark Claw and Super-Soldier... ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    This week Ron Marz looks back at the Marvel-DC mash-up, Amalgam Comics, and how his work on "Doctor Strangefate" with Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez and Kevin Nowlan gave him a case of stage fright.

Full article here.
    I've always loved Strangefate. Great look. Who knew a combination of Dr Strange and Dr Fate's costumes would work so well? And to have Charles Xavier under the helm of Nabu? Genius.

I really wish this character was still around.

All I have to remember him is this Amalgam one-shot and that "All-Access" 4 part mini. Anyone remember that?