Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Septaryeth View Post
    her best place would be shooting fireballs in the warzones..
    Since the end of 'King of Fear' a lot of us have assumed that Liz could no longer use her powers, but isn't it possible that she can actually still use them but chooses not to, for fear of the consequences? Have to re-read 'Monsters' but I can't remember it being definately established that she can't use them

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Uk View Post
    Since the end of 'King of Fear' a lot of us have assumed that Liz could no longer use her powers, but isn't it possible that she can actually still use them but chooses not to, for fear of the consequences? Have to re-read 'Monsters' but I can't remember it being definately established that she can't use them
    Oh I totally forgot that she stopped using her powers...lol.
    There are hints here and there indicating that she lost her pyrokinetic powers or that somehow it became dormant.
    For example, she would rather asked for a lighter from two punks who mocked her, than just light the cigarette with her fingers (which was her habit)
    And in her dream she did said something like "I let it all go." to the old shaman.

It's safe to assume that she lost her fire, though it's also mentioned in numerous occasions that she can't live without her fire because its a part of her, so......
    Normally I would bet my money on writers giving a super-heroine her power back after few issues,
    but since this is Mignolaverse and things don't really stay in status quo......

It was never established whether Liz had lost her powers, but it was also never suggested that she did. That was just an assumption a lot of people made based on the end of King of Fear when she bummed a light off of those guys.

That scene may have been included to shed doubt on whether she still has her pyrokinetic ability, but I think it's equally likely that it was included to show her reluctance to use the fire again. The last time she used her fire, she nearly split the world in two, causing a lot of death and destruction and probably the worsening state the world found itself in at the end of King of Fear. Knowing the way Liz tends to deal with her problems, it makes sense to me that she'd go back to trying to bury and suppress it, and she wouldn't be as casual about using it for something as simple as lighting a cigarette anymore.

To me, what she 'let go' of in King of Fear wasn't the power itself, but the mental blocks and controls she'd put in place to keep herself from hurting anyone. She let go of that to kill the last of the frogs, and she did (or believes she did) kill them all, but at a high cost of human life that has since haunted her.

If she had lost the fire, it seems likely that she would have died then, too. If the fire is a life force for her, its absence should kill her, as it did before. (Which is an interesting situation in itself... I wonder if she can even really be called human?)

This is all just my interpretation of what's gone on, but I really doubt she lost her pyrokinetic abilities. If anything, she may have some emotional blocks now set up that prevent her from using it, or she may be suppressing it completely, or she may be forcing herself not to use it, but I don't think it's gone. I don't think it ever was.

I've seen the narratives to Hellboy/BPRD etc get called "organic" a few times now (by mr Mike himself for instance). And I assume such means that the narratives follow their own paths.

Like it's one thing to try and think of what *heroes* or *characters* would be to "ordinarily" do or think or act as. 'What would a demon do? Or a fishman? Or a new race fishman? Or a buff pyrokinetic lady? For any given situation?'
    But then I think that wouldn't be of note so much, as what these specific characters or individuals would do in these specific narratives. What will their specifiable acts as getting unfolded be to lead to?

The narratives will be describing what would be going on. As leading up to some definite and fixed ending or outcome, maybe - or they could be at least, due to being creator-owned.
    A one overseeing initiating creator makes that possible. Like such would be the primary difference between non-creator-owned and creator-owned stuff. I'd say.

I don't think I would need to know everything perfectly or as made only fully explicit all the time, not even for stories, to make me feel wonderment or getting enticed by action or mystery. Such won't be needed since I can read what stories could be saying, as they they would appear to be.
    I could be to read either until I feel to understand, or even as only partly, or start over.
    Only as in my own way, since I would be that reader, as depending on the reading, time and again?

Any stories I can think of will consist of being descriptive/explicit in ways, for leaving basically any of it up to interpretation at the same time still.

I do think only the outcomes will be the outcomes, once they could be called that, due to becoming outcomes. Even for or despite any destinies or premonitions or future glimpses or hindsight knowledge.
    And I don't think there'd be much cases of where stories go "... and so Liz lost her flaming powers". Not even Stan Lee would do that, because he would immediately follow with: "... Or did she?!..."

I don't think mysteries or paradoxes or maybe-s detract from stories, but I think they add more rather. Binaries or either-or-s might detract, but definitely not maybe-s, I'm sure of it!
    Last edited by Kees_L; 05-21-2013 at 01:24 PM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    I do think only the outcomes will be the outcomes, once they could be called that, due to becoming outcomes.
    Wait, what?

I have a huge soft spot for BPRD, as I pushed for it to go ongoing back before Guy Davis even took on that Herculean task; however, now that it's monthly and with constantly rotating art teams... I'm less enamored. I still love to read the stories and enjoy the occasional arc, but it's begun to feel somewhat disjointed and even all over the place at times.

That being said, I'm happy to see Tyler back and the Rafael covers are truly a thing to behold!

I'm hoping that won't be the case after we get a few 5-issue arcs in a row. I think because we've gotten a lot of 2 and 3-issue arcs lately that disjointed feeling has been increased

I'm pretty excited for a five-issue Tyler Crook series followed by a five-issue James Harren series. It feels like all the pieces are in place for something epic.

Default Issue 2 cover

18th September, 2013

While the young psychic Fenix stumbles upon a monsterworshipping version of Burning Man, Liz Sherman finds herself stuck in a ruined hospital and pitted against a mad doctor and his monster–sized, mutated feline!

Well, there's proof Liz won't die in this mini. Just some Mad Doctor isn't gonna be the end of our girl.

I really like how these covers are clearly part of a set.

Lovely covers, although Liz still looks far too young - but that's true of almost every artist in the Mignolaverse that draws her; with the possible exception of Guy Davis.

Yeah, Liz is too young on that cover. She needs to look like she's in her mid to late forties. That Liz looks more like the youthful Ashley Strode.

Guy Davis drew Liz perfectly, but I gotta say, I also like Tyler Crook's take on her. Another reason I'm looking forward to this story.

That reminds me something...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	116494
    Last edited by didism; 07-13-2013 at 06:21 AM.

Thought everyone would love this, Cover to BPRD issue #113, Lake of Fire #4.

Liz is back B-tches!!