Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

This was my last issue. I find I have trouble remembering who the new characters are (and yet they are persistently front-and-center, because apparently the actual Avengers other than Iron Man are just there to punch things), half of the team spend their time babbling about systems and what-not, and the other half have absolutely zero emotional resonance. Clearly, this Avengers book is not for me.

once and future

Looks like the whole Hickman thing is starting to wear out. I hope he relaxes his style a bit, maybe includes some more character moments and smaller plots every now and then. He's a good writer but, like Bendis, he found something that worked (the grandiose narration and dialogue, big huge plots) and overused it to the point where it's harming his stories. Surely he can at least stop including "the universe is broken" fifteen times an issue and all the references to machines all the time.

Though New Avengers is still pretty darn awesome.
    Last edited by Neutrino; 03-30-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: which and that... know the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    I have just read this issue, and I have to ask: Who are those clowns, and what have they done with the real Avengers?

I mean...they know who that kid is, they know he didn't want to hurt anybody, it was all an accident, he's scared and doesn't show a bit of aggresssion, but they keep scaring him and pushing him to fight back.

First that Nightmask guy and Universe gal tell him he killed his whole school, making him freak out...not a very clever thing to do, for transcendent beings...
    Then Hulk attacks him (how was he going to stop the blast? killing the kid? Hulk has no energy manipulation powers or force shields).
    When the kid accidentally defends himself (he still didn't know how to use those powers) they all start to act threatening and treat him as a supervillain.
    Then Hyperion threatens the kid who was trying to explain that he was just defending himself and didn't want to hurt anybody.
    And then Thors hits him with his hammer (what if the kid wasn't invulnerable? he would be dead).

The Avengers acted worse than rookies...they looked like a bunch of school bullies who got their powers yesterday.

Also, Spidey acts like an old jerk.

Unless the Avengers were being controlled by some evil force, this was a horribly written issue.
    I think the way they acted was reasonable.

This was a cosmic level threat that just killed a LOT of people. Even if the kid isn't responsible (and truthfully they don't know him well enough to know for a fact he's not), that's not to say that he won't end up killing them and everyone else around him even if that's not his intent.

They made an effort to reason with him, but when it looked like he was about to lose control again one Avenger decided to try and move against him before that happened. Was that the wrong move to make... possible. Cap personally disagreed, and I don't think that's just as understandable.

There's not always a 100% right or wrong course of action in situations like this. Sometimes you can only tell in hindsight, and even then that's not always 20/20. Maybe talking to him more would have been the better option... or maybe he would have went off again while they were reasoning with him and more people could have been killed. Maybe the best thing would have been to KO him before he could do anything, and contain him from there. Maybe... or maybe exactly what happened will end up being exactly what needed to happen.

It's easy to sit back and play arm chair quarter back... but when you're dealing with a potential global threat that's proving to be potentially unstable, there is a rationale behind acting BEFORE worse case scenario occurs. I you can talk the person down, that's probably your best bet. But if you don't believe that's possible, then you DO probably want to hit them first hard and fast before they hit you, because with a cosmic level being that might be your only shot at containing the situation. You can never know for sure what exactly is the best course of action.

Sorry if it was mentioned before but aren't some of you forgetting the panel where Captain Universe essentially says that there was something behind the escalation of violence in the issue?
    Michelangelo > Leonardo da Vinci > Isaac Newton > Nikola Tesla > Valeria Richards > Reed Richards = T'Challa > Victor Von Doom > Hank Pym > Bruce Banner > Hank McCoy > Tony Stark

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rohan00 View Post
    Sorry if it was mentioned before but aren't some of you forgetting the panel where Captain Universe essentially says that there was something behind the escalation of violence in the issue?
    I missed that part, but I did notice (and mentioned it before) that something seemed to make Hulk, Thor and Hyperion act aggressive with the kid.

Again, I say something's not right. Something very much is affecting the Avengers, or the heavy hitters at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Rohan00 View Post
    Yeah, it's been mentioned a couple times. Not one person who is criticizing this issue because of the way the Avengers handled the situation has chosen to acknowledge this in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Priime View Post
    I missed that part, but I did notice (and mentioned it before) that something seemed to make Hulk, Thor and Hyperion act aggressive with the kid.

Again, I say something's not right. Something very much is affecting the Avengers, or the heavy hitters at least.
    Yeah, definitely. Hulk was the most obvious...he's in the background of one panel literally trembling and holding his head like someone's trying to control him. And then he mauls Iron Man and tosses Cap aside without any thought.

It’s probably the Mars' siblings. Trying to kill him. Most likely the sister since she interacted with both Hulk and Thor. Considering Nightmask and Starbrand talk when they went to Mars at the end, the two groups are going to be in conflict.

It's possible that something made Hulk and Thor act agressively ... then again both can arguably act pretty aggresively on their own. We'll have to wait and see.

Don't get why people are saying this current plot is in assessable, how is this any more confusing then the Celestial Madonna story line, Avengers Forever or Kang Dynasty? Aliens attack trying to rebuild the world, Avengers go to stop them end up using emergency protocols to expand the team and we've just been following the aftermath of that since. Sure there is some universe building aspects with the broken universe storyline but that is pretty much background stuff for now that you can go back to later.

Currently the main story it looks for the next few issues is dealing with the aftermath is the reappearance of New Universe archetypes appearing in the 616, not difficult to focus on the core story in front of you and let the background stuff build because Hickman is dropping them there as foundation setting material for a future pay out and if you don't remember it big deal if you purchased the book so you can return to it later on regardless of format.

Once again, there are plenty of Avengers books out there right now, if you are looking for more character moments, Avengers Assemble or even Uncanny Avengers if you don't mind the heavy mutant tinged roster. It isn't like in the days of the past where there was only one or two Avengers books.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    Having finally read the issue (what can I say, the comic store guy was out of town), I really do understand the complaints about how the Avengers act in this situation. They handle this incredibly poorly. Cap does okay, but Carol's snark is off, and Thor should know better. All in all, as Cap suggested, it should have been about containment, not beating him into submission. Even if he did knock the Hulk into space.

I'm still not understanding these "systems" or who put them in place or used them. The implication seems to be that whoever they were, they watched countless worlds and manipulated them. Where were these people during all the other stories that involved multiple realities? It seems strange that only now a crisis seems to affect them.
    Doesn't that apply to almost every story out there?

Why here? Why now? Why does it always involve the heroes on earth?

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetaryDevastation View Post
    Itís probably the Mars' siblings. Trying to kill him. Most likely the sister since she interacted with both Hulk and Thor. Considering Nightmask and Starbrand talk when they went to Mars at the end, the two groups are going to be in conflict.
    That's what I think, too. It's almost telegraphed from the beginning. The groups in conflict are probably the Gardeners (old system) and the Harbingers (NU-archetypes, new system).
    Michelangelo > Leonardo da Vinci > Isaac Newton > Nikola Tesla > Valeria Richards > Reed Richards = T'Challa > Victor Von Doom > Hank Pym > Bruce Banner > Hank McCoy > Tony Stark