Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Pipeline - Mar 19, 2013

Augie wonders if last week's comic site outages portend a future of DRM-free comics. Also, Sean Wang's "Runners" makes a return via Kickstarter, and the end result is even better than the first book.

Full article here.

Yes, it's inevitable, same as what happened with music DRM. How long before we get a Spotify for comics? Pay a flat fee, read a bunch of comics - sounds good to me. I won't buy DRM-encumbered comics, so the sooner that day comes, the better.
    “Wonder Woman is a lame superhero...She flies around in her invisible jet and her weaponry is a lasso that makes you tell the truth. I just don’t get it.” -- Megan Fox

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

If it follows the music pattern I expect DRM-free sales to predate really usable streaming of new comics. Then again, I hate anything that charges a monthly fee so I may be the wrong person to get into this discussion.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

I purchase every comic I read, whether it be through comixology or Dark Horse or 2000 AD (who, at least, allow you access to the pdf files on your device). Having said that, if comixology vanished overnight, I would have no qualms in downloading any issue of any comic I had purchased through them via less-than-reputable sources. I paid for the comic, the artists involved and publisher made money off me, and I would not lose any sleep at night in being able to read the issue again as I would if it were a print copy I had bought rather than digital.

Spider-Prime's only fan. spider-prime's Avatar

I am fine with the flat fee option that lets me read tons of comics like netflix does, but only if they still release trade paper back format. Cause for my favorite books, I will still want to buy it for myself to read anywhere.

I would love this cause I could read tons of comics I normally couldn't cause not enough cash flow. If I had the cash to spend over hundreds of dollars on comics a month, I would :)

Quote Originally Posted by Groundh0g View Post
    I purchase every comic I read, whether it be through comixology or Dark Horse or 2000 AD (who, at least, allow you access to the pdf files on your device). Having said that, if comixology vanished overnight, I would have no qualms in downloading any issue of any comic I had purchased through them via less-than-reputable sources. I paid for the comic, the artists involved and publisher made money off me, and I would not lose any sleep at night in being able to read the issue again as I would if it were a print copy I had bought rather than digital.
    Do you feel entitled to illegally download movies that you have rented or seen in a theater? After all, you already paid for it once, right? Do you feel you have the right since you pay for cable tv to watch the shows via other non-legitimate sources if your favorite show is pre-empted or you lose power? If your house burned down and you lost all your print copies, would you feel that Comixology, DC or Marvel should allow you free access to those comics since you already paid for them? If you disagree with Comixology's way of doing business, then don't do business with them. But, if you do, then you are basically signing a contract that their practice is ok with you, that you know what you are paying for. You have the right of recourse to go after Comixology if you feel they owe you something, but that's the limit of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Love View Post
    Do you feel entitled to illegally download movies that you have rented or seen in a theater? After all, you already paid for it once, right? Do you feel you have the right since you pay for cable tv to watch the shows via other non-legitimate sources if your favorite show is pre-empted or you lose power?
    That comparison is completely wrong. Those services are all ones where you pay a lower amount for a one-time usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Love View Post
    If your house burned down and you lost all your print copies, would you feel that Comixology, DC or Marvel should allow you free access to those comics since you already paid for them?
    That's a much better comparison. I wouldn't feel any Comixology or anyone was obliged to provide me free access, but if I was in that situation I wouldn't feel any guilt about downloading material I'd already paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    How long before we get a Spotify for comics? Pay a flat fee, read a bunch of comics - sounds good to me.
    There is one, and it's been around for years. Marvel Unlimited. (link)

Just bought the PRIVATE EYE comic by Martin and Vaughn for $1. First comic I ever bought on-line. I wouldn't have paid more than $1 for it - and I really liked it - but I like my comics in print.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

The Comixology guys always touch on this when they do panels at conventions. Download, storing and transferring comics between devices is incredibly cumbersome and requires a great deal of hard drive space, that's why their model is what it is. More and more media providers are moving towards "the cloud" which is all Comixology really is. While I suppose there is some fear that they could go away overnight, I think it's a pretty tiny one and I'd much rather never have to connect my iPad to anything to access my content and also not have to keep enough space on it to store everything I've ever purchased. Also, all of the publishers have copies of all of their digital files and a record of which users own what, so in a world where Comixology failed, the publishers would still be able to get that content to their fans... if they wanted to.

The biggest hurdle they need to get over is the strength of their delivery service. They need a back up in place for people to access content they've already purchased, even if the system through which people purchase is currently down. And they need to insure that the system through which people purchase never (or almost never) goes down in the first place. Not being able to access content you own is a much bigger issue than not being able to buy new content. I think they probably learned a pretty big lesson last week and I doubt we'll be seeing anything like that happen with them again for a long time.

^ this.

Honestly, I don't care about the legality of the situation. I want the artists and the companies to get money from what they do, and I want to pay for the comics I read because I think they are something of value. That's the extent of how much I care about digital rights.

I paid $3 for The Private Eye, which is the same amount I would pay for every issue going forward should they maintain the 'pay what you want' model, and this is how much I pay for a new DC issue. I bought Radiohead's 'pay what you want' album for the standard price of an iTunes album - whatever that was back then. I appluad artists for giving people this option, and I like to think the majority of people don't enter $0.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    That comparison is completely wrong. Those services are all ones where you pay a lower amount for a one-time usage.

That's a much better comparison. I wouldn't feel any Comixology or anyone was obliged to provide me free access, but if I was in that situation I wouldn't feel any guilt about downloading material I'd already paid for.
    ^ this.

Honestly, I don't care about the legality of the situation. I want the artists and the companies to get money from what they do, and I want to pay for the comics I read because I think they are something of value. That's the extent of how much I care about digital rights.

I paid $2.99 for The Private Eye, which is the same amount I would pay for every issue going forward should they maintain the 'pay what you want' model, and this is how much I pay for a new DC comic. I bought Radiohead's 'pay what you want' album for the standard price of an iTunes album - whatever that was back then. I appluad artists for giving people this option, and I like to think the majority of people don't enter $0.

Quote Originally Posted by minusthesnake View Post
    The Comixology guys always touch on this when they do panels at conventions. Download, storing and transferring comics between devices is incredibly cumbersome and requires a great deal of hard drive space, that's why their model is what it is.
    Firstly, I'll admit that I'm new to the digital comic world, but I find it very hard to believe that Comixology would have been the big drivers behind the 'cloud' model over the 'download and store your comics' model. If Comixology had allowed you to store and transfer your comics, I doubt very much so many of the publishers (the Marvel/DCs in particular) would have come onboard. Storage is just about the cheapest thing there is in the computer world today.

More and more media providers are moving towards "the cloud" which is all Comixology really is. While I suppose there is some fear that they could go away overnight, I think it's a pretty tiny one and I'd much rather never have to connect my iPad to anything to access my content and also not have to keep enough space on it to store everything I've ever purchased.
    But see, one day Comixology will go away. It may be replaced by something else that maintains our existing purchases, but then, it may not. Who can say.

Also, all of the publishers have copies of all of their digital files and a record of which users own what, so in a world where Comixology failed, the publishers would still be able to get that content to their fans... if they wanted to.
    Yeah, this would not happen in a million years. For all the goodwill these publishers may or may not have, they are companies that base a large portion of their decisions around making money.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post

The comparison stands because if you are doing business with Comixology, you know what you are getting and paying for and it's NOT ownership of the comic. You are paying them for access and for storing a specific comic. If Comixology dies or their servers got deleted, your recourse is with them, that's who you did business with. It does not transfer any rights to any other copy of the comic out there. Just as you paying for cable does not transfer you a right to view a show illegally elsewhere. Even if you DVR'ed, recorded or bought a dvd of a show or movie, the loss of it does not transfer the right to getting an illegal duplicate copy. I've paid for things several times over as the original has worn out, been corrupted or just looking at technology changes. All my movies and shows on VHS, do I want to invest in getting them on DVD? Blu-ray? Paying to download and store on a flash drive? Whatever I decide, I will have to pay one way or the other, I'm not entitled to free copies simply because I already paid for them once. You may not feel guilty, but it's still not right.

Spider-Prime's only fan. spider-prime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    There is one, and it's been around for years. Marvel Unlimited. (link)
    oo awesome, I actually didn't know they offered this.

Thanks for posting this.