Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: The Private Eye, #1

Brian K. Vaughan and Marcos Martin's new digital comic "The Private Eye" #1 will probably get attention because of its pay-what-you-want price tag, but beyond the hubbub, its internet-free setting is intriguing.

Full review here.

I knew it would be good, but this was fantastic. I paid $1 for the first issue and I'll probably pay more for future ones.
    Marvel: Daredevil, Punisher, Uncanny Avengers, Wolverine & the X-Men, Cyclops, Hawkeye, Superior/Amazing Spider-Man (Trading for)
    Image: East of West, Lazarus, Jupiter's Legacy, Starlight

I really dug it, but hey that goes without saying when BKV's on board. I'm definitely in.

Guiltily enough I paid nothing for it. I have no means to purchase anything online unfortunately. However this seems to be the thing has me finally deciding to get a Pay pal account, and will gladly purchase this and future issues again. I'll probably get to it over the weekend.

I paid three bucks for this, but I shared it with a couple friends, so it was more like buying three issues for a buck.
    I agree with the 4/5, but my favorite scene was the one with his grandpa, I love the premise of "the cloud" and the mystery behind what actually happened there.

I just finished reading it and I loved it. Great art and great story! I paid $1, I think this is the perfect price for digital comics. It would be great to be able to add a tip after you read the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasmic View Post
    I paid three bucks for this, but I shared it with a couple friends, so it was more like buying three issues for a buck.
    I agree with the 4/5, but my favorite scene was the one with his grandpa, I love the premise of "the cloud" and the mystery behind what actually happened there.
    Ya, that scene is what made me really like the setting for this whole story.
    Spider-Man from the beginning! Last ish: ASM #15 - Chameleon hires Kraven (first appearance!) to kill Spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by botolo View Post
    I just finished reading it and I loved it. Great art and great story! I paid $1, I think this is the perfect price for digital comics. It would be great to be able to add a tip after you read the comic.
    You could always go back and pay again.
    Spider-Man from the beginning! Last ish: ASM #15 - Chameleon hires Kraven (first appearance!) to kill Spidey.

LOVED it. As a person who has some strong feelings about "social media" this thing really hits home. Feels like all of that stuff may widen a person's "friend" pool, but it makes it extremely shallow. I enjoy real world interaction with friends, and get annoyed when those same friends have to interrupt conversation every five minutes to check their smartphone. Suffice to say those friends don't get calls to hang out much.

But back to the comic! Awesome first issue - I paid $2.99 for it and feel like I totally got my money's worth. Very clever storyline and I can't wait to see where it all goes. I was pretty excited when I saw the teasers yesterday and then doubly so when I found out I could pick up the issue today.

Quite meta in the way they are distributing as well, which adds to the "coolness factor" for me. A comic about the dangers of putting everything out on the internet being exclusively distributed through the internet - very cool.

Can't wait for issue two!
    PULL: Chew, Walking Dead, Saga, Batman, Lil' Gotham, Bedlam, Hellboy in Hell, Jupiter's Legacy, East of West, The Wake, Sex, Trillium, Miracleman, Sandman Overture, Rocket Girl, Sex Criminals

Quote Originally Posted by ugdave View Post
    LOVED it. As a person who has some strong feelings about "social media" this thing really hits home. Feels like all of that stuff may widen a person's "friend" pool, but it makes it extremely shallow. I enjoy real world interaction with friends, and get annoyed when those same friends have to interrupt conversation every five minutes to check their smartphone. Suffice to say those friends don't get calls to hang out much.
    Facebook is for acquaintances and sharing links.

I'll join you guys in singing the praises of this issue. Not only did I love the comic but I love the idea that BKV and Martin would put this out themselves and trust the fans to support the idea. If there's anybody that could make this work it would be this team.

Hear, hear. This story is fantastic, and it has prompted me to rethink a great many things.

I have no doubt that it will be well-funded for issues 2-10.

Quote Originally Posted by adam.walters View Post
    Ya, that scene is what made me really like the setting for this whole story.
    I have to "third" these sentiments. While I agree that the art wasn't as great for this scene, the interaction with his father and teasing of what had happened in the past to cause everyone to hide their identities is absolutely what hooked me. I'll definitely be back for issue #2.

I really liked this issue, and Brian K Vaugn can really do wrong in my book. I talk more about Private Eye here

This definitely exceeded my expectations. I gave them $3 since that's what I pay for Saga, even though I'm not getting a physical copy. I wouldn't do that for many writer/artist combos, but I'm more than happy to for these guys.

I'm honestly not that big on reading .pdf's on my monitor, but I'll always make an exception for exceptional comics.

Edit: My post here is horrible, it reads like "MY THREE DOLLARS." I'm just trying to say that I'm not looking to switch to downloading .pdf's over picking up mags in general, but I was happy to for Private Eye.
    Last edited by lefthighkick; 03-25-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    Current Favorites:
    Saga / Manhattan Projects / East of West / Zero / Hawkeye / Alex + Ada / The Wake

Senior Member I'm Not Daredevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by punisher97 View Post
    I knew it would be good, but this was fantastic. I paid $1 for the first issue and I'll probably pay more for future ones.
    Yeah same, I'll pay the full price 2.99 next issue because this issue was fantastic and the colors were captivating. It's a very intriguing idea for a story but still don't understand why there is no more internet. I know that the "cloud burst" and everyone's information was leaked but why would that cause the internet to disappear?